ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Heated Wood Steering Wheel Woodgrain Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 04:56 PM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Lemon397, that is hilarous how many people you know drive with their hands at the 3 & 9 o'clock, after your comment I called all my peps and funny none drive that way, they actually started laughing....LOL*
I know what your saying, the point I been trying to put across is Lexus has made a claim heated wood trim steering wheel not how you should drive. It is not a car companies job to teach how to drive or how you should drive if that is the case cars should not be allowed to go over the speed limit....
Old 03-27-13, 05:18 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Relax
Hey Lemon397, that is hilarous how many people you know drive with their hands at the 3 & 9 o'clock, after your comment I called all my peps and funny none drive that way, they actually started laughing....LOL*
I know what your saying, the point I been trying to put across is Lexus has made a claim heated wood trim steering wheel not how you should drive. It is not a car companies job to teach how to drive or how you should drive if that is the case cars should not be allowed to go over the speed limit....
Funny you should say that. I called all of my buds and they don't drive with their hands at 3 and 9 either...
Old 03-27-13, 05:32 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Even though I don't have an issue with the way the wheel is heated, I now see how people could be misled by the advertising. My sticker actually states: "Heated Wood & Leather Steering Wheel". The fact that the word "Wood" immediately follows the word "Heated" puts some validity to your claim. Probably not worth trying to start a class action lawsuit, though, but the wording should be changed.
Old 03-27-13, 05:58 PM
txes
Lead Lap

The solution is soooo simple... want warm hands, keep them on the leather part of the steering wheel.

I'm getting a chuckle over this thread.

John
Old 03-27-13, 06:13 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
A fully heated steering wheel will always be leather only, no wood. The wiring that heats up the wheel runs under the leather and conducts the heat. There's no way to do that (economically) under the wood area. This is common sense. If you want a fully heated wheel, you'll have to get a leather one.
Isn't the Lexus LS wood steering wheel fully heated all the way as well as the Mercedes S550.
Old 03-27-13, 06:22 PM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

I guess when people that owned a hyndai, and found out the fuel usage was wrong maybe they shouldn't get anything it was a mistake....or maybe don't drive as much so you don't use as much fuel... But everyone was all over it and wanted a credit for the mistake. Us as consumer can't always say it is okay being mis-lead is wrong and cooperation do it all the time and we allow it. Trust me their is a huge difference of a full heated steering wheel Vs two corners of a steering wheel. Our winters can get pretty cold and a heated steering wheel is a bonus and warm at the hands..... Glad this thread has been amusing.......vehicles with wood heated steering wheel. Cadilac, Mercedes, some VW in Europe, land rover.......Lexus should claim what actually is provided

Last edited by 2Relax; 03-27-13 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 06:36 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Fuel consumption claims are probably higher on the list of the regulatory officials, than a heated steering wheel.
Old 03-27-13, 06:43 PM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

True Mike..... just an example of principles of what is right and wrong...Mis-leading the public is wrong and in Ontario, Canada under OMVIC that regulates the car companies mis-leading the consumer is wrong and illegal and wrong advertising is not exceptable.
Old 03-27-13, 06:47 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by lemon397
i disagree. they are required to pose driving laws and 3 and 9 positions are the ones that are recommended. They will be encouraging bad driving habits if they place it at position 6. try to take a driving test and place your hand on position 6, you'll know for yourself. I think the designers and engineers have done an excellent job.
You are correct, I found this on the below web site and saw many more that state 3 and 9 are the recommended positions.

http://www.drivingdynamics.info/ask-...2-anymore-why/

Steering Wheel: Proper Hand Positions

Q. What is the proper hand position when driving? I heard it’s not 10&2 anymore, why?

Mariah D.
Hugoton, KS

A. I can remember in my old driver’s ed class that the 10&2 position was constantly drilled into us. Actually saw one teacher slapping hands if the student deviated from this hand position! However, it really does not work well for a variety of reasons. Here are a few of the important reasons to consider changing to the 9&3 position:

Airbags. If your hands are in a 10&2 position and the airbag goes off there is a high likelihood that your hands or forearms are going to be slammed into your head at 200mph. Ouch! Not good for either your arms or your head. You could possibly wind up with a broken bone or two. A 9&3 position lessens the chance of this danger.

Ergonomics. Before driving away the next time you’re in your vehicle, start out holding the wheel at the recommended position of 9&3. Now slowly move your hands up to the 10&2 position and notice what is happening to your shoulders. They’re “hunching” up and putting them into an unnatural, uncomfortable position! At 9&3 the shoulders are relaxed. This really adds to your comfort when you have extended drives. You want to be comfortable when you’re driving … right?

The most important reason we recommend the 9&3 hand position is that it allows a greater range of motion in an evasive maneuver without having to take your hands off the steering wheel … nearly 270 degrees of turning vs. about 90 degrees in the 10&2. When you’re running out of time to avoid a collision, you need to have full control over your vehicle’s direction. 9&3 will provide you with this edge compared to any other hand position.

So 9&3 – be safe … be comfortable … be in control!
Old 03-27-13, 06:56 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I agree, the wording in their advertising is misleading. I believe you actually have a case for forcing Lexus to change it. If I were you, I would be more pissed at my salesman for not mentioning this during the sales process, than Lexus for publishing it in error.
Old 03-27-13, 07:38 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

True Mike..... just an example of principles of what is right and wrong...Mis-leading the public is wrong and in Ontario, Canada under OMVIC that regulates the car companies mis-leading the consumer is wrong and illegal and wrong advertising is not exceptable.
So don't you have more protection and recourse under Canadian law? I'd inquire with your legislature or an attorney.
Old 03-27-13, 10:33 PM
savon
Rookie

I am just curious how you guys would word it if you were the one in Lexus in charge of advertising. "partially heated wood and leather steering wheel" or "half heated wood and leather steering wheel" or " leather heated wood and leather steering wheel". And who will applause for their honesty and say I am going to buy their car because they are honest in advertising. If you are a potential buyer a new car and looking on different brands you most likely are going to buy the one which has the feature you really want if all things are equal.
"Heated and cooled seats" advertised by Lexus is misleading and I found out when I bought my 07 ES. Heating part is fine it is just the cooling part which I think it is ridiculous. I have never used it because it doesn't do anything in hot summer days.
Every single day we buy stuff by false or misleading advertisement by major companies. Lexus is not the only company.
Old 03-28-13, 03:17 AM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

Hmmmmmm.... So if I understand from some threads you are okay being mis-lead by companies....if this is okay then I need to open a business because people are okay with being lied to or mis-lead to what is advertised. I guess you will just walk away and say o'well companies do it all the time. Let's think about this one, you bought a vehicle and it was advertised leather seats and after a week you realized it was vinyl seats but only the sides were leather would you be okay with that??? When you went to complain the car company would say vinyl last longer so they put the leather where you would not reck it on the sides and vinyl were you use the most so it last longer than leather. Hmmmmmmm......at the end of the day it is the principal and what you believe is right, we are all different and different thing will **** us off. (Heated leather with a wood trim steering Wheel) hmmmm... Your thoughts......Try putting your hands at the 7:30 and 4 see how comfortable that is and if the airbag goes off you have nothing to worry......cheers

Last edited by 2Relax; 03-28-13 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-28-13, 04:25 AM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

Oh, one more thing as I did indicate in a previous post. If the concern is Safety then no vehicle should be allowed to go over speed limits, sensors if you have consumed any alcohol it will not start, if you drive aggressive it will slow down and not let you not tail gate.... If young children in the vehicle and you’re smoking the vehicle will not move and all windows will open. Common people a car company that thought let put the heat here on the steering wheel for safety reason.....Now that is funny...... Don't get me wrong there are many great safety feature car companies do and that is great but heated at the 3 and 9 o'clock so only people in cold climates would drive at the 3 and 9.
Old 03-28-13, 04:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmmmmm.... So if I understand from some threads you are okay being mis-lead by companies....if this is okay then I need to open a business because people are okay with being lied to or mis-lead to what is advertised. I guess you will just walk away and say o'well companies do it all the time. Let's think about this one, you bought a vehicle and it was advertised leather seats and after a week you realized it was vinyl seats but only the sides were leather would you be okay with that??? When you went to complain the car company would say vinyl last longer so they put the leather where you would not reck it on the sides and vinyl were you use the most so it last longer than leather. Hmmmmmmm......at the end of the day it is the principal and what you believe is right, we are all different and different thing will **** us off. (Heated leather with a wood trim steering Wheel) hmmmm... Your thoughts......cheers
I don't see what the big deal is.
Again,use the 9 and 3 position for a few minutes till your hands warm up and the interior minutes later..
Most vehicles only have leather seating only areas we pay a fortune for too.

Quick Reply: Heated Wood Steering Wheel Woodgrain Trim