ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pre collision system

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 10:49 PM
greengil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre collision system

Can someone please share the experience with the pre collision system on the ES? Does it work all the time? Thanks.
Old 03-18-13, 01:22 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greengil
Can someone please share the experience with the pre collision system on the ES? Does it work all the time? Thanks.
My understanding is that it only works when cruise control is engaged. I have used it for the past couple of weeks and it really works. I need to adjust the initial settings because it senses a car in front of me and puts on the brakes a little to early, in my opinion. I just need to set it to less car lengths, and it should be fine. This is using it at freeway speeds. Overall, I like it!
Old 03-18-13, 03:35 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Photios, you may be mixing up the dynamic cruise control with the pre-collision system - they are separate systems and work interdependently of each other..

Yes, it works all the time and it works as intended. There is a lot of info on the web about the system. Do a search....
Old 03-18-13, 06:27 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had it activate, probably phase 1. It turns thre dash red and it says "STOP" and makes a beep. I hear it will beginbraking, straighten up seats, and lock the seatbelts if it detects that a crash is imminent.
Old 03-18-13, 07:59 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Photios, you may be mixing up the dynamic cruise control with the pre-collision system - they are separate systems and work interdependently of each other..

Yes, it works all the time and it works as intended. There is a lot of info on the web about the system. Do a search....
Yes... you are absolutely right!!!! My mistake. It was late last night when I responded!

I have the PCS too... Don't think I've seen that engaged!
Old 03-18-13, 10:18 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LisaES350
I have had it activate, probably phase 1. It turns thre dash red and it says "STOP" and makes a beep. I hear it will beginbraking, straighten up seats, and lock the seatbelts if it detects that a crash is imminent.
How close were you for it to do this? There are no specifics in the manual regarding speed or distance for the system to engage. It's interesting that it turned the dash red, and when you say it says "STOP" is it an actual voice or a readout on the display?

(also: anyone want to test with some cardboard/foam targets? )
Old 03-18-13, 10:22 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
How close were you for it to do this? There are no specifics in the manual regarding speed or distance for the system to engage. It's interesting that it turned the dash red, and when you say it says "STOP" is it an actual voice or a readout on the display?

You can be the first to try. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-18-13, 04:38 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n

I was not as close as you would think! I was revving up to change lanes and I was coming up on the truck in front of me quickly as I was about to change lanes. I just happened to notice the display lighting turn red (like when it is in sport mode) and I read the word STOP on the display where the temperature usually reads. I don't believe there was an audible voice but there was a beep type alert. I came and went quickly. I think it used radar to calculate my speed and the fact that i was accelerating to initiate PCS.
Old 08-11-13, 11:33 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Experienced phase 1 of the PCS for the first time.

While driving on surface streets, I took eyes off the road for a couple of seconds to adjust the shade for the moonroof and I heard rapid beeping. The car in front of me had come to a full stop, and while I still had about 2-3 second clearance from him, I was still on the accelerator. I had to come to a moderately quick stop but no high drama braking was involved.

Didn't get a chance to see the status on the dashboard as Lisa mentioned. But the alarm was very similar to lane departure beeping, except about twice as fast and maybe a tad louder. The car did not apply brakes or pre-tension the belts.

for the system !