ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Scratch / Chip in My Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 06:24 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch / Chip in My Paint

Well, it happened! I now have a chip or scratch in my paint. I'm not 100% sure, but... today there were landscapers cutting the grass and blowing the parking lot at work, and when I went to my car this afternoon, the hood was covered with debris. I cleaned it off, only to find a scratch. I cannot prove they did it, but it sure seems like they did. I'm fuming and want to give the company a piece of my mind.

Anyway, what's the best way of getting this out? It is 2mm in length.

I'm seriously thinking of having the 3m clear bra installed. Anyone recommend this? What's a fair price? I remember the dealer wanted $1200 or was it $2000? There was no way I was paying that!
Attached Thumbnails Scratch / Chip in My Paint-photo.jpg  
Old 03-15-13, 08:12 PM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 3M kit installed. Cost directly from a local Certified dealer in Cincinnati was $650. Here's the link to see what was installed with "Kit B".

http://www.clearbraohio.com/services/

As for the scratch, you may want to see if a little polish will clean it up. Otherwise, I'd look at some touch up paint.
Old 03-15-13, 08:59 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chewbach
I got a 3M kit installed. Cost directly from a local Certified dealer in Cincinnati was $650. Here's the link to see what was installed with "Kit B".

http://www.clearbraohio.com/services/

As for the scratch, you may want to see if a little polish will clean it up. Otherwise, I'd look at some touch up paint.
About the same cost of my full kit clear bra.

Photios: The clear bra covers well over a 1/3 of the hood.
Old 03-15-13, 09:14 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About the same cost as my partial hood, front and rear bumpers, fenders, mirrors, head lights, fog lights, door edge and door cup handles by the local installer. I had it installed within the first 2 weeks of getting the car. Well worth the protection.
Old 03-16-13, 09:16 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

When I purchased my car, the dealer had already installed protection around the door cup handles, door edges and the top of the rear bumper. I have a quote for the partial hood, fenders, and bumper for $499. Is that reasonable? It's normally $599, but they are having a special until the end of March. Also, for $75 they will do the headlights and for $30 more, the fog lights. Is it worth it to have the lights done? So, basically all that for $605 for everything.
Old 03-16-13, 09:52 PM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

From my discussions with the 3m installer, I need to touch up the chip myself before the bra is applied. Can anyone tell what I need to do to repair the chip? I can't tell if the chip goes down to the paint or not. Could it just be that the clear coat has been cut into and that is what needs to be repaired? Would just some polishing compound take this out? I'm so afraid to touch it as I don't want to make it worse! There is definitely depth to the cut and my fingernail definitely catches when going over the area. I have order Dr. Colorchip for my car, but I'm not sure that is what will fix this.

Any ideas???
Old 03-17-13, 12:06 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Def get a clear bra, you can try to talk them down and see what's the best deal they will give you. My fathers was quoted at $795 and I got it for him at $600.
Old 03-17-13, 07:14 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Photios
From my discussions with the 3m installer, I need to touch up the chip myself before the bra is applied. Can anyone tell what I need to do to repair the chip? I can't tell if the chip goes down to the paint or not. Could it just be that the clear coat has been cut into and that is what needs to be repaired? Would just some polishing compound take this out? I'm so afraid to touch it as I don't want to make it worse! There is definitely depth to the cut and my fingernail definitely catches when going over the area. I have order Dr. Colorchip for my car, but I'm not sure that is what will fix this.

Any ideas???
As with any marks on the paint of your vehicle, always start with the least aggressive cleaning method. Try some quality cleaner wax and see if anything comes off. After that maybe a polish with a very light hand. Do not rub it in with any pressure. If nothing comes off you may have to fill the chip in with paint on a several step process until it is even with the rest of the hood. Keep the repair in the chip hole and don't expand it with paint. I have heard good things about Dr. color chip.
Old 03-17-13, 09:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Definitely get the clearbra. I had always considered it, but finally did it on the GS and I'll do it every time from now on.
Old 03-18-13, 01:25 AM
Photios
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I'm going to go for it. How about the headlights... worth it?

Bummer is that I need to get that chip repaired before I can have the bra installed. I ordered Dr. Color Chip on Friday. Have no idea when it will get here to Seattle. I'm not even sure that is the best repair for this problem. I'm going to drive by the dealer tomorrow and have them advise me as to what to do about it.
Old 03-18-13, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I would do the headlights too.

You can touch it up, its obviously still going to be visible but it will look better.
Old 03-18-13, 09:10 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I'd get the highlights covered. My installer tells me the 3M film keeps the headlights from yellowing over time.

I'd get the exact color touch up paint from the dealer and carefully fill in the chip with a light hand, and with several layers. I find the tip of a toothpick works well. You should let it dry for a couple of days before they install the film.
Old 03-18-13, 09:26 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what is the life cycle of the 3m clear film? does it last 10 years?

when it ages, does it yellow or crack? and how is it removed and replaced when it dies of old age?

--fwiw, my window tint guy offered to install 3m film on the front for $500.
Old 03-18-13, 10:19 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Mr. Bill - 3M warrants their film for 5 years. Don't know the life cycle of the film, but it's not suppose to crack, peel or yellow if installed correctly. A friend has it for 4 years on his light blue Mercedes and still looks brand new.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...esources/FAQs/

HTH. Art
Old 03-18-13, 11:08 AM
DASMan
Rookie

Also look at XPEL Ultimate film. Its warranted for 10 years against yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, and hazing, covering both film and labor where the 3M film does not cover labor costs.

The other thing going for it, is that the XPEL film is a self-healing film. So if it gets scratched, the scratches "iron" them selves out.

Quick Reply: Scratch / Chip in My Paint