Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300H MPG improve after break in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 01:11 PM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300H MPG improve after break in?

Curious to know. Will MPG improve after break in? Or will it be easier to obtain? I am able to hit the 40mpg avg, however I have read in posts that it will increase after the break in period.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-07-13, 02:22 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on my own experience and research, very little if it does at all. We are all hoping for better MPG when the weather warms up.
Old 03-07-13, 02:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got over 4K on the odometer so it's beyond break-in. I've actually noticed a slight decrease in my mpg, but more due to my driving style and habits. I'm less patient than when I first got the hybrid to see how high I could get the mpgs, and now not watching my mileage bars in the Trip Info or keeping it below 65. I think driving style has more of a difference than whether its broken in or not.
Old 03-07-13, 04:34 PM
LEX300h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
I've got over 4K on the odometer so it's beyond break-in. I've actually noticed a slight decrease in my mpg, but more due to my driving style and habits. I'm less patient than when I first got the hybrid to see how high I could get the mpgs, and now not watching my mileage bars in the Trip Info or keeping it below 65. I think driving style has more of a difference than whether its broken in or not.
what mpgs are you currently getting?

Old 03-07-13, 05:25 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

The best I've gotten was around 41.5 mpg (based on the car's computer), on a tank of gas. I've gotten better and worst mpg with that tank, but it all averages out. I've got about 40.5 on the last tank, but I know the computer over estimates the FE by about 2-5% based on actual miles and gallons used. The last fill up was actually 39.7 mpg.
Old 03-07-13, 06:05 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned several hybrids and have never found any differences after break-in.

I have also found the on board computer to be quite accurate. And it corresponds with my scan gauge. If may not always be possible to fill the fuel to the the exact same level each time which could easily account for differences many experience..
Old 03-07-13, 06:58 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Perhaps, but every fill up has consistently been lower on the mpg from the computer vs. what I've travelled and the amount of gas I fill it up. Same wtih my RX. Maybe your computer is better?
Old 03-08-13, 02:55 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using Arty101's example, a difference of a little more than a 1/2 gallon of gas on his fill up can easily account for his difference in fuel economy calculation.

Using some of his numbers, assuming he drove 580 miles on his tank, a fill up of 14 gallons would calculate to 41.5 miles per gallon while a fill up of 14.5 gallons would be 40 mpg.

Since is is not possible to know whether you have filled up your tank to exactly the same level as the previous tank, it is easy to see calculation differences.

Last edited by ElliotB; 03-09-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 06:36 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by LEX300h
Curious to know. Will MPG improve after break in? Or will it be easier to obtain? I am able to hit the 40mpg avg, however I have read in posts that it will increase after the break in period.

The short answer to your questions #1 is Definitely No
#2 No.
Old 03-09-13, 02:22 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Based on my experiences buying several new Toyotas, fuel economy does not improve after breakin. Tire brand and tire model has a much more significant impact on fuel economy; e.g. when I bought Goodyear Comfortred tires for my LS400 about five years ago, fuel economy tanked by about 2 miles per gallon because those tires had higher rolling resistance than the previous tires I was used. Coasting speeds when going downhill were less too due to increased rolling resistance.
Old 03-11-15, 04:06 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Based on my experiences buying several new Toyotas, fuel economy does not improve after breakin. Tire brand and tire model has a much more significant impact on fuel economy; e.g. when I bought Goodyear Comfortred tires for my LS400 about five years ago, fuel economy tanked by about 2 miles per gallon because those tires had higher rolling resistance than the previous tires I was used. Coasting speeds when going downhill were less too due to increased rolling resistance.
Wow, 2mpg seems like a big penalty to pay for higher resistance tires. Do you gain much for those tires?
Old 03-11-15, 05:49 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Originally Posted by wowzer
Wow, 2mpg seems like a big penalty to pay for higher resistance tires. Do you gain much for those tires?
Boy, my experience with the Goodyear Comfortred tires was quite different. My Generation 4 ES came from the factory with the Michelins, and I eventually replaced those tires with another set of Michelins. After that, I bought a set of Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires. My gas mileage, which I carefully hand calculate after every fill-up, was virtually identical with the Michelin and the Goodyear tires and so were ride quality, noise, etc.

What was dramatically different, however, was how long the tires lasted. With both sets of Michelin tires, I barely got a little more than 35,000 miles on them before they needed to be replaced. With the Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires, I had over 60,000 miles on them and still had probably another 5000-10,000 miles left when I traded in the vehicle. Even though both the Michelin tires and the Goodyear tires have a similar compound, the reason why the Comfortred tires lasted much longer is because the Michelin tires start out with only 9/32 of an inch of tread, and the Goodyear tires start out with 12/32. Since tires are good down to only 3/32, that means that the Goodyear tires start out with 50% more usable tread.

My 2013 ES came with the Michelin MXV4 tires. From tire wear so far, it looks like I will likely end up having to replace them at somewhere between 35,000 and 40,000 miles. When I reach that point, based on my experience with the other ES, I plan to replace them with the Comfortred tires.
Old 03-12-15, 09:13 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lesz
Boy, my experience with the Goodyear Comfortred tires was quite different. My Generation 4 ES came from the factory with the Michelins, and I eventually replaced those tires with another set of Michelins. After that, I bought a set of Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires. My gas mileage, which I carefully hand calculate after every fill-up, was virtually identical with the Michelin and the Goodyear tires and so were ride quality, noise, etc.

What was dramatically different, however, was how long the tires lasted. With both sets of Michelin tires, I barely got a little more than 35,000 miles on them before they needed to be replaced. With the Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires, I had over 60,000 miles on them and still had probably another 5000-10,000 miles left when I traded in the vehicle. Even though both the Michelin tires and the Goodyear tires have a similar compound, the reason why the Comfortred tires lasted much longer is because the Michelin tires start out with only 9/32 of an inch of tread, and the Goodyear tires start out with 12/32. Since tires are good down to only 3/32, that means that the Goodyear tires start out with 50% more usable tread.

My 2013 ES came with the Michelin MXV4 tires. From tire wear so far, it looks like I will likely end up having to replace them at somewhere between 35,000 and 40,000 miles. When I reach that point, based on my experience with the other ES, I plan to replace them with the Comfortred tires.

Could his LS be different from our ES? It just seems like a large hit to efficiency.
Old 03-12-15, 05:55 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I don't know, but I installed the other Goodyear tires, Goodrich that were not low rolling resistance "energy'' tires and my fuel economy went down 2-3 mpg. I couldn't believe it.

Last edited by Arty101; 03-12-15 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 07:44 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Arty101
I don't know, but I installed the other Goodyear tires, Goodrich that were not low rolling resistance "energy'' tires and my fuel economy went down 2-3 mpg. I couldn't believe it.
Does the car slow down faster? The one thing I hate about my other cars (an Acura TL-S and Honda Odyssey) is that they all slow down so much when you stop stepping on the gas. The ES and Prius are so good at rolling without gas or electric....

Do the tires help cornering grip?

Quick Reply: ES300H MPG improve after break in?