ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Thumping Noise from Mark Levinson speaker / subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 05:42 PM
CGee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping Noise from Mark Levinson speaker / subwoofer

I just bought 2013 Lexus ES 350 (have had it for a week). When I turn volume of stereo in 28 to 30 range, I get a very loud thump, constant thumping sound (appears to be coming from subwoofer). Music is not that loud at this volume (can have conversation with people without raising voice). Bass is present but not significant. Any suggestions or thoughts on what may be causing this? I was planning on going back to dealer.
Old 02-18-13, 07:19 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to the dealer. My ML sub has already blown on me. There are other posts on this page abou this issue. I am happy with it since it has been replaced.
Old 03-04-13, 08:16 PM
Churmsk
Driver School Candidate

Check out the other thread on this issue. People are now indicating that Lexus acknowledges a problem with the ES Mark Levinson (ML) amp sending too much gain to the sub woofer resulting in distortion. Other threads indicate that Lexus is replacing these amps with updated ones from ML.
Old 03-07-13, 07:29 AM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

I've had this same problem with my 2013 ES300h, they replaced my amp and a lot of it is fixed but it still seems to "rattle" or "thump" at certain frequencies. How did your fix go?
Old 03-09-13, 10:45 AM
Frank1934
Driver School Candidate

I have the thump also on occasion. Sounds like thunder or a sonic boom. Will have it checked at the 5K service.
Old 03-12-13, 02:56 AM
Creid
Driver School Candidate

Hello All,

So I have been hearing this same noise and have taken it to my dealer for a total of 3 times now.

The first time I took it in, they said it sounded like the sub woofer was blown, but after they took it apart to be sure, they said it was just rattling, due to missing a screw.... Solution=Order screw.

2nd visit... Put in screw, still hear problem. Was told to come back, because shop foreman wasn't in, and he would know what the problem was.

3rd visit... Come back and let shop foreman hear the sound, he states that the problem is that the sub-woofer is underpowered, and cannot handle deep bass. Solution.. turn the bass way down!!

Monday (3/12/13) called the dealer to say that other people are having the same issue, and lexus is aware of the problem and that it is an Amp issue. Dealer solution- We don't see that Lexus has stated its a amp issue, but we will monitor it and let you know when lexus has sent a Service bulletin regarding it.

To me this is ridiculous as my sales person told me the mark levenson system was definitely worth the upgrade, and its amazing sound etc.... I like a sucker bought it and now I feel like im just being thrown around/given excuses.

Customer Satisfaction--

Plan of action-- Call Lexus corporate, and let them know that for my first luxury car I expected a lot more from them!! Also hopefully they will send a Service bulletin regarding this issue to dealers so I can actually enjoy my music.... My old Kia could handle my music and sounded better than this system does right now
Old 03-15-13, 01:02 PM
Frank1934
Driver School Candidate

Today my FL dealer told me they were unaware of such a problem. Will take it in next week. Mine does it on some music at about a 35 setting but not too often. Hope it will act up for the service tech.
Old 03-18-13, 09:46 AM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

Default My experiences so far...

I have a 2013 Lexus ES300h, as soon as I listened to the sub for the first time there was a bottoming out and distortion. I gave it a week to see if it needed to be broken in and I still had the problem. The first time I went to my dealer they acknowledged my problem, and ordered a new sub. The second time I went to the dealer was when the subwoofer came in, I sat in the lobby as I waited for my service. About an hour later they told me they received information from Lexus telling them not to install the subwoofer because the amp is the problem. The third time I went to the dealer was to install the new amp, I was so happy thinking the problem was solved but no, I had the exact same issue. So I went to the dealer a FOURTH time today, the audio guy and the diagnostics guy both sat down with me and listened to it and they both acknowledged there is something wrong with it, and all the ES ML systems they have on the lot. We had a conversation and they told me, " No offense, but the ES ML sounds like crap, the one in the RX, GS, and LS all sound way better, even the standard Lexus one sounds better". I agreed because I own a 2013 RX and a 2006 RX which are 335 watts instead of the 835 ,and both ML systems in there sound way better.. They told me they could put in a new sub today but we both knew it wouldn't solve the problem. What they are doing now is calling Lexus, and making a case to corporate, they said I will receive a call soon to let me know what solution will arise. I buy Lexus and only Lexus so I don't ever have to go to the dealer. With this ES I've been there 4 times in the last month and a half I've owned the car and its really frustrating. I've never been so disappointed with Lexus.
Old 03-18-13, 11:31 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Why are there 2 threads regarding the same issue?

Anyways... Khatieh, how was it determined that all the ML's on the dealer's lot had the same issue? Was XM used as the music source?
Old 03-18-13, 12:57 PM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

Default Response

The distortion occurred with any source, xm, cd, iPod, bluetoothe , hd radio...
Old 03-18-13, 02:02 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by khatieh
The distortion occurred with any source, xm, cd, iPod, bluetoothe , hd radio...
I'm sure they didn't try all those sources on each car in the lot, so I'm guessing you're referring to yours.

The problem can't be as widespread as you make it sound, or there would be more than just a few people complaining about this. I understand the issue is obvious with XM, but you can't expect quality from the compressed garbage they're sending down. I see you're in IL, too (I know it's a big state). If you're close to the NW suburbs, I would be happy to let you listen to mine, just to prove that all ML's don't have this issue.
Old 03-18-13, 05:20 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

I also purchase a 300h, and the same issue the subwoofer sound is terrible. This is a problem that Lexus is hoping it goes away, maybe like the Toyota accelator problem. I have e-mailed Lexus for the past 3 weeks and no replies now what kind of service is that for a luxury car company. My dealer said don't put the volume so high and it will not give you the thumping noise or distortion. Wow what a response you have a 835 watt system but don't use it. I had a 4 year old gs and the system sound it 100 times better. I would not recommend this option to anyone till Lexus fixes the issue. This cannot be an isolated issue their is to many people having the same issue Mike 728. Their is no way this sounds like a premium sound system and Lexus needs to step up to the plate. I guess we have to waist our time and keep bothering Lexus till the issue is resolved.

Last edited by ICnothing; 03-24-13 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-19-13, 02:04 PM
Frank1934
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer said they will order updated ML amp

Visited my FL dealer today and they acknowledged the problem. Said they would order an updated amplifier when the part becomes available. Good news! Plan to combine the fix with my 5K checkup which should occur in June.
Old 03-20-13, 11:49 AM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm sure they didn't try all those sources on each car in the lot, so I'm guessing you're referring to yours.

The problem can't be as widespread as you make it sound, or there would be more than just a few people complaining about this. I understand the issue is obvious with XM, but you can't expect quality from the compressed garbage they're sending down. I see you're in IL, too (I know it's a big state). If you're close to the NW suburbs, I would be happy to let you listen to mine, just to prove that all ML's don't have this issue.
Actually Mike 728, I was referring to most of the ES systems on the lot. The dealership told me its only a problem in the ES. I own a 2006 RX 400h and a 2013 Lexus RX450 both with mark levinson and they sound phenomenal. The dealership told me they even compared the standard system of the ES to the ML of the ES and the standard sounded better. I'm not saying its widespread but it seems to be a lot of people have this problem.
Old 03-20-13, 12:22 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"the standard sounded better."

IMHO, there is a very noticeable difference between the two (the Mark Levinson is far superior).

Quick Reply: Thumping Noise from Mark Levinson speaker / subwoofer