ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Thumping Noise from Mark Levinson speaker / subwoofer

Old 03-30-13, 11:19 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It helped but there are certain raggae songs that I can't listen to at any volume level, just too much bass. I do plan to upgrade my sub eventually to a 12" so I can get my raggae and my George strait thumping again! Strange combo I know. I have a large pallet of musical tastes!
Old 03-31-13, 05:21 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lisa, I am the same way when it comes to music. I still think this is a fix that Lexus and Harman must fix. I do not know about anyone else but I drive around 55,000 miles a year and a good sound system make your drive that much better.
Old 03-31-13, 06:54 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lisa, try turning the bass down.

Last edited by ElliotB; 03-31-13 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-31-13, 07:00 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Where is the enjoyment of turning down the bass, some music is made to listen with base, and I only have mine in mid. That is almost what the service advisor told me don't put the volume so high.....that is like you give a kid a whole bunch of chocolates and take it all away in front of them while eating the chocolate.
Old 03-31-13, 07:20 AM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

Default Turn the bass down?

That's absurd, especially for people like me that get distortion at the mid level and even more at plus one or two. That's like telling the doctor your leg hurts when you bend your knee and him just telling you not to being your knee any more. I'm glad my dealer acknowledges the problem , it's Lexus that's being frustrating, I think the only solution is a sub that can handle what's given to it rather than revising the amplifier.
Old 03-31-13, 07:33 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Lisa, turn the bass down.
The issue is not the bass being to high. It is that the system can not handle the bass even at low volume levels. I should not have to adjust the bass down to -3 and keep volume down to listen to a song, then adjust all levels back after the song is over.
Old 03-31-13, 09:13 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To adjust the bass, treble and mid-tones, press the RADIO button once and then select SOUND at the bottom right using the mouse.

"I should not have to adjust the bass down to -3 and keep volume down to listen to a song,"

You are correct, but until the system is fixed, you have no choice.
Old 03-31-13, 06:04 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Well the choice we have right now, is to be on Lexus & Harman as much as possible till they get the point. This is uneceptable. If anyone needs the e-mails for Harman and united Radio let me know they need to know how disappointed we are with the ML system.
Old 03-31-13, 07:43 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Do you have a number or email at Lexus & Harman that I can make contact? I would love I see a real fix.
Old 04-01-13, 03:42 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Hi Lisa, John is the person at Harman and the e-mail is (john.mcmullen@harman.com) and Philip Moore is for United Radio e-mail is (pmoore@***********.com) and for Lexus 1-310-328-2075 or 1-800-255-3987 or go to this link to e-mail your problem to Lexus http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask.

Last edited by ICnothing; 04-01-13 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-01-13, 06:41 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Thank you I will make contact today (hopefully).

Last edited by LisaES350; 04-01-13 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-01-13, 09:08 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike728
One of the reasons the ML costs so much more, is it's already optimized for the listening environment in each car it's installed in. A lot of engineering time went into setting it up and getting it as close to flat across the audible frequency spectrum as possible. Think of this like paying someone to come and do an ISF calibration on your home theater screen, and then changing the sharpness after the tech leaves because you like the picture more vivid.
I have had to re-EQ my 5.1 music content because my 2009 ML was apparently tuned for movie soundtrack playback -- it has a huge hump in the third and fourth octaves, which so muddies the sound stage with overcooked upper bass that it makes music unlistenable (action films with crashes, explosions or stomping and roaring dinosaurs kick ***, however). The tone controls are useless for trying to correct it.

I don't want to appear too cynical here, but I wonder if you've bought the ML ad copy hook, line and sinker. ML implementations across the Lexus line must hit their price points above all other considerations. Attaining flat FR is by design a lower priority.

Of course, you can bet the house that the flagship LS ML will get more attention than an ES or IS version, but don't be fooled into thinking that the marketing-speak "thousands of hours" of effort in cabin tuning equates in any way to the granularity of the work performed by an ISF-certified calibrator. To come close to this comparison, you'd have to do what I did -- drag your laptop into your car, take FR measurements with a real-time analyzer and re-EQ your music with a reverse FR curve!
Old 04-01-13, 09:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsobi
I have had to re-EQ my 5.1 music content because my 2009 ML was apparently tuned for movie soundtrack playback
I definitely notice the boost when in surround mode. However, it totally disappears when changing the setting to stereo. This is what I did with my 2ch advanced res DVD-A. If I had surround on, it sounded a little over done, so to speak. Did you try your experiment in stereo mode? I'm not sure the 2013 ML plays adv res 5.1, so maybe that's their way around your issue.
Old 04-01-13, 09:49 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Originally Posted by mdelugo
...the service technician noticed that the surround sound for the ML system was set to on. Unless you are playing a DVD, the system should have Surround Sound set to OFF.
Actually, this is incorrect, and typical of the misinformation I got from two dealerships regarding the ML system.

The Surround DSP function is designed specifically to synthesize 5.1 surround sound from stereo sources. How successful it is depends on the source material and your personal tastes. In particular, you may find the DSP works better on (uncompressed PCM) CDs than MP3s or satellite radio. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say.

So, with stereo sources, the DSP can be ON or OFF -- your choice.

If you are playing a DVD's 5.1 surround audio track, however, the correct Surround DSP setting is OFF, since it is already furnishing the system with discrete 5.1 audio.
Old 04-01-13, 10:02 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
Did you try your experiment in stereo mode? I'm not sure the 2013 ML plays adv res 5.1, so maybe that's their way around your issue.
If it's reading the high-res layer, it should be able to do discrete 5.1. If not, then 2013 ES ML owners have been screwed since previous MLs could. The 2013 owner's manual is confusing on the point, indicating in one spot that it plays "liner PCM", but showing in another a disclaimer that lists some discs that may not be compatible, and "DVD-A" is right in there.

I've been up and down and all over with my system. The bad FR affects all inputs. One thing, thankfully, that I found is if I enable the Surround DSP when playing CDs, it cuts the upper-bass hump down to where the sound is not ideal but at least listenable, and still better than the crap stock system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thumping Noise from Mark Levinson speaker / subwoofer