Question: ES 350 MPG difference among Eco/Normal/Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 08:41 AM
jsroh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: ES 350 MPG difference among Eco/Normal/Sport

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the MPG difference among Eco, Normal and Sport mode. I would like to know how much gas savings I can make driving with Eco mode, and how much more gas spending driving with Sport mode instead of Normal mode. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me what is the MPG for Eco mode and Sport mode. I believe this 21/31 MPG is based on Normal mode. I was thinking to buy a ES 300h but changed my mind to buy ES350 because I was able to discount a lot more. This is my first Lexus. My last 3 car were BMW and I hope I like Lexus as much as I liked BMW.
Old 01-30-13, 11:49 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The various modes simply adjust the throttle response. For example, if in Eco Mode you need to push the throttle 1/2 way to obtain 3000 rpm, you might only have to push the throttle 1/5 the way in Sport Mode. So if you drive aggressively in Eco Mode but drive softly in Sport Mode, your mileage will be about the same.

In theory you should get better FE in Eco Mode but how and where you drive will ultimately effect your FE.
The following users liked this post:
Nohnv (01-24-17)
Old 01-30-13, 12:35 PM
Kabajaro
Driver School Candidate

Elliot is very correct.

I actually calculated this; I first started with Eco mode and drove 300 miles and filled up, I got 24.46mpg, then I tested the Sport it came out to be 24.44mpg and the last one was normal and it came out to be very close to Eco mode. Since I drove the same for all three I should get similar mpg but for Sport I only lost a little.

Although I have to say for some reason the rides on Eco and Sport are much more comfortable than Normal, it felt as if something is holding the car back so I always drive in Eco mode and Sport by night or whenever the highway is empty.
Old 01-30-13, 05:28 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Speaking of drive modes. Anyone know if the dealer can change a setting to make the car stay in the last drive mode when starting the car?
Old 03-23-13, 11:25 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Speaking of drive modes. Anyone know if the dealer can change a setting to make the car stay in the last drive mode when starting the car?
Bumping this old thread. I was going to ask the same question as above. Anyone???
Old 02-17-16, 01:29 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Bumping this old thread. I was going to ask the same question as above. Anyone???
That is very strange. My car indeed stays in the last mode as oppose to reverting back to Normal mode.
Old 02-17-16, 01:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I can't say for the ES, but I would assume it's like my IS or GS, and this is how they work:

If you turn off the car in Eco mode, it will start in Eco mode.
If you turn off the car in Normal mode, it will start in Normal mode.
If you turn off the car in Sport mode, it will start in Normal mode.

In other words, on the IS and GS, the car will start in the mode you turned it off in, unless it's Sport mode, in which case it will start in Normal.

The dealer cannot change this because the EPA ratings would be effected. Basically, the EPA mileage testing has to include the most aggressive/least efficient mode the car can start in.
Old 02-17-16, 01:44 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I can't say for the ES, but I would assume it's like my IS or GS, and this is how they work:

If you turn off the car in Eco mode, it will start in Eco mode.
If you turn off the car in Normal mode, it will start in Normal mode.
If you turn off the car in Sport mode, it will start in Normal mode.

In other words, on the IS and GS, the car will start in the mode you turned it off in, unless it's Sport mode, in which case it will start in Normal.

The dealer cannot change this because the EPA ratings would be effected. Basically, the EPA mileage testing has to include the most aggressive/least efficient mode the car can start in.
This is likely correct. I stay in ECO mode during the work week and it comes back to ECO. I don't really use sport so I imagine it would revert back to normal if I did.
Old 02-17-16, 07:52 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by azipod
This is likely correct. I stay in ECO mode during the work week and it comes back to ECO. I don't really use sport so I imagine it would revert back to normal if I did.
correct...
Old 02-18-16, 06:54 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

COOL, that means I can jazz up the wife's car when I drive it, but she then won't notice what I've done... Score!
=============================================================
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Old 02-28-16, 04:20 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I drive about 70 miles per day, and have tested out all 3 modes. I have not noticed any difference in MPG during my long mileage testing. I drive a good 50/50 on city/highway. It's just for acceleration purposes.
Old 08-04-16, 07:50 AM
BB8orR2D2
Driver School Candidate

The 2016 ES product brochure states this:

Drive Mode Select enables you to make your vehicle more responsive or efficient. Sport mode alters the powertrain for faster and more dynamic throttle response. Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency and engine performance. ECO mode moderates the throttle response, engine power output and climate settings for increased fuel efficiency.
So perhaps ECO mode on the newest models also changes your A/C output?
Old 08-04-16, 08:03 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by BB8orR2D2

I believe this has been since the 2013 model year as my 2013 also does it.
Old 08-04-16, 10:38 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by BB8orR2D2

Originally Posted by jollick
I believe this has been since the 2013 model year as my 2013 also does it.
From my extensive experience driving an ES 350 and my limited experience driving the ES300h, I would say that how the AC operates in ECO mode compared to Normal mode in the ES300h is quite noticeable. With the ES350, if there is any difference, it is small and, to me, not noticeable. The only thing that I really notice as being different in ECO mode on the ES350 is the change in transmission shift points and that you need more accelerator pedal travel to increase speed in ECO mode than in Normal mode.
Old 08-05-16, 07:59 AM
mss1234
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering the same thing about these different modes. If there is no significant change in MPG, then why not drive in Sports mode ?

Quick Reply: Question: ES 350 MPG difference among Eco/Normal/Sport