Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300H Body Side Moldings

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 03:51 PM
stevet1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300H Body Side Moldings

I ordered, received and installed the ES300H Body Side Moldings. I ordered them from Sewell "]http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/ES300h-2013/2423.htmland[/URL] they were shipped shipped promptly. With the Lexus Club Forum discount they were $109 delivered. That's a substantial savings. Take your time installing the moldings and watch this video: "] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1coJSrdMwU[/URL] Since this car does not have the bottom moldings to measure from I came up with an optimum measurement of 25 5/16" from the center part of the molding that sticks out closest to you the ground. Measure this height all the way across the molding from front to rear, tape, and check appearance. Use 3 pieces of 1" tape at the top edge of the molding all the way across so you can get the height level. Make sure to clean the door of wax with isopropyl rubbing alcohol.This height of 25 5/16 will give you maximum protection and looks good. I really like the looks and I feel better knowing my car is better protected from the people that don't care enough to be careful and don't value other peoples property .
Old 01-28-13, 06:12 AM
jcarlo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing. Do you have photos?
Old 01-30-13, 07:14 PM
stevet1
Driver School Candidate

Default Molding photos

Originally Posted by jcarlo
Thanks for sharing. Do you have photos?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...45060218069953
Old 01-31-13, 05:55 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fwiw, I got mine from park place lexus via ebay, @ $99.

-it was a 'Toyota' part.

otherwise very happy with results. (dealer installed for free, due to some delivery issues).

curious is your sewell was also Toyota part.

Last edited by mrBillFL; 01-31-13 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 06:04 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Looks good, thanks for the photo.
Old 01-31-13, 08:11 AM
stevet1
Driver School Candidate

Default ES300H body side moldings

At first after I installed them I thought they looked a little thick especially compared to the ones I saw installed by a dealer on another 300H. That one was definitely thinner. I think the thinker ones I received from Sewell also a Toyota part number will just be more protective than the thin ones. I don't worry about door dings as much now so they're worth that peace of mind.

Has anyone applied the 3m protective film to their bumpers?
Old 01-31-13, 11:04 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Steve-

I think you're right. The Lexus side molding looks a bit thinner, especially at the front and rear ends. Also, the height of your front end looks a bit high? Here are some pics of my molding which were dealer installed. Just wondering.

Art
Attached Thumbnails ES300H Body Side Moldings-securedownload-1.jpeg   ES300H Body Side Moldings-securedownload-2.jpeg   ES300H Body Side Moldings-securedownload.jpeg  
Old 02-01-13, 07:18 AM
stevet1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
Hi Steve-

I think you're right. The Lexus side molding looks a bit thinner, especially at the front and rear ends. Also, the height of your front end looks a bit high? Here are some pics of my molding which were dealer installed. Just wondering.

Art
Hi Art,
Your car sure is a beauty. Very nice photos too. You are right the moldings I installed on my car are a bit higher than yours. I took the most outward point of the door that would be hit by another car's door and mounted them there for maximum protection. We have mostly SUV's in Socal and their doors are higher. In either case I think we have much more piece of mind than with out moldings. I hope you're loving your car. I sure am.
Old 02-01-13, 07:57 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
Hi Steve-
Here are some pics of my molding which were dealer installed.
Art
Arty,
Nice photos, and the moldings look very good !
Old 02-01-13, 09:58 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Sometimes I think the designers are thinking form over function. Steve is probably right - the height of the molding should be higher, but the designers (I've seen this in lots of other vehicles) like to put the molding much lower. This doesn't provide for much protection.

For molding, this doesn't look bad. Others don't like to mess with the clean sheet metal, until they get the dreaded door dings from careless drivers/passengers and worst, kids that don't care.
Old 02-04-13, 12:28 PM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone tried the molding with chrome insert?

...for the 2013 es300H....you see. my white ES has the chrome around the window and the side mirrors, and then there is this big empty space called the doors....now, I was wondering if anybody has seen the molding with chrome inserts and how it looked...

thnx
Old 02-04-13, 01:20 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I haven't seen it on the new 2013 ES series, nor is it on Lexus's web site. Perhaps its available from Toyota or available from another Lexus model.
Old 02-04-13, 10:04 PM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chrome insert...

...Arty, I like your car and the great job on the install of the body side molding!

I see that SportyWing (or a co. with a similar name) has a thin chrome insert on a painted molding about the same size as yours. I think the chrome would put some shine on that plain door...right? Not wholly convinced..that's why I am checking in.

They want about 152$ for that (a bit steep, imho).
Old 02-05-13, 12:32 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Thanks Raymond. It's dealer installed, and was part of the negotiated purchase. However, I think they would have charged about $200- $300 installed.

It blends in well to the door, so it's not as noticeable, especially for those that like it clean. This may not suit your needs, but I think it breaks up the door's sheet metal without drawing attention to it, yet provides some level of protection.
Old 02-20-13, 02:07 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by stevet1
I ordered, received and installed the ES300H Body Side Moldings. I ordered them from Sewell "]http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/ES300h-2013/2423.htmland[/URL] they were shipped shipped promptly. With the Lexus Club Forum discount they were $109 delivered. That's a substantial savings. Take your time installing the moldings and watch this video: "] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1coJSrdMwU[/URL] Since this car does not have the bottom moldings to measure from I came up with an optimum measurement of 25 5/16" from the center part of the molding that sticks out closest to you the ground. Measure this height all the way across the molding from front to rear, tape, and check appearance. Use 3 pieces of 1" tape at the top edge of the molding all the way across so you can get the height level. Make sure to clean the door of wax with isopropyl rubbing alcohol.This height of 25 5/16 will give you maximum protection and looks good. I really like the looks and I feel better knowing my car is better protected from the people that don't care enough to be careful and don't value other peoples property .
I didn't see anywhere if the side molding comes painted in your car's color??

Quick Reply: ES300H Body Side Moldings