ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Navigation Prompts

Old 01-12-13, 01:46 AM
Creid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Prompts

Hello All,

So I just recieved my new ES 300h yesterday (after waiting 4 1/2 months for it), and I can't figure something out. Is there a way that while your listening to music/radio while navigating to have the music automatically turn down when the navigation speaks, and once its done talking turn the music back up?

My old Hyundai vehicle did this, so I hope that this vehicle can as well.

Thanks for the help.

P.S.

The 4 1/2 month wait was totally worth it! I love my car!
Old 01-12-13, 03:53 AM
Kabajaro
Driver School Candidate

The driver speakers will be muted when the Nav talks and slowly returns the volume level back. You also have the option to set the Nav volume so that you could hear it better. Please correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't an option to shut all speakers down for the Nav.
Old 01-12-13, 08:33 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kabajaro, how do you get the speakers to mute as you describe? Mine do not (but would really like them to).
Old 01-12-13, 09:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Kabajaro, how do you get the speakers to mute as you describe? Mine do not (but would really like them to).
I don't have a 2013, but my 2010 and 2007 didn't mute for nav prompts, and I always wished they did. I wondered if there was a setting that I missed.

We now have a 2013 Audi which does.
Old 01-12-13, 11:33 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's funny, cause mine mutes for the Nav or incoming calls. That's by default.
Old 01-12-13, 12:02 PM
JerryKK
Driver

I think it only mutes for incoming calls but for the prompts - you have to make them louder because the audio is not silenced.
Old 01-12-13, 06:20 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

This is my wife's car, so I have not driven it other than the test drive, but all of my 3 Acura MDXs automatically reduced music volume for navigation prompts, even the 2001. I can't believe a Lexus would not do this as well.
Old 01-12-13, 11:49 PM
JerryKK
Driver

There's actually another area that apparently other car manufacturers can do on their Nav system and Lexus can't: I was watching the football games today and Buick had a Peyton Manning commercial and he's showing how responsive the Buick Navigation system is - he calls out XM Outlaw and a number (probably the preset) and Sirius switches to that station. It would be so much easier if you could switch stations by using voice commands (safer too) - but Lexus will not let you do this!
Old 01-13-13, 02:37 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

According to the owner's manual, there is at least some operation of the audio system through voice commands.

In page 316 of the manual, it states

"Selecting “On” next to “Expanded Voice Commands” on the “Voice Settings” screen enables voice command
operation of the audio/video and air conditioning system."

I believe you can select songs or albums with a USB device or iPod via voice command, and change the audio mode, for example, from FM to XM as well, but I don't know you can select a station.

Perhaps the 2014 model will have this ability!
Old 01-13-13, 07:59 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Creid
Hello All,

So I just recieved my new ES 300h yesterday (after waiting 4 1/2 months for it), and I can't figure something out. Is there a way that while your listening to music/radio while navigating to have the music automatically turn down when the navigation speaks, and once its done talking turn the music back up?

My old Hyundai vehicle did this, so I hope that this vehicle can as well.

Thanks for the help.

P.S.

The 4 1/2 month wait was totally worth it! I love my car!
Congratulations Creid.
Old 01-13-13, 10:50 AM
JerryKK
Driver

According to the owner's manual, there is at least some operation of the audio system through voice commands.

In page 316 of the manual, it states

"Selecting “On” next to “Expanded Voice Commands” on the “Voice Settings” screen enables voice command
operation of the audio/video and air conditioning system."

I believe you can select songs or albums with a USB device or iPod via voice command, and change the audio mode, for example, from FM to XM as well, but I don't know you can select a station.

Right! You can do all of the things mentioned but cannot change the station via voice commands (maybe that is something they can fix in future updates of the system).
Old 01-14-13, 07:31 PM
Kabajaro
Driver School Candidate

I am sorry for the late reply as I am swamped with work. I didn't do anything, it seems that my driver-side speaker silenced itself to let the Nav speaks. I tested this by putting the music up and had it focus on the driver area then made the Nav talks, as it talks I noticed one of the driver speakers kind of silenced out.
If you are worried that you won't be able to hear with a loud music, you could always change the Nav voice volume. I think Navigation only affects driver speakers so your passengers' media-time will not be interrupted. Good luck!
Old 01-15-13, 01:42 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Kabajaro, are your other speakers also muted ?

Last edited by ElliotB; 01-15-13 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-15-13, 06:11 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Our dealer is having a welcoming reception for new owners next week and I am preparing a list of questions. This topic will be on it. As I mentioned above, with the voice system on my 2011 MDX I can change XM stations or any stations, as well as select artists or songs on the hard drive that is built in. I will be surprised if the Lexus cannot do this.
Old 01-15-13, 10:41 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Creid, if it's like the RX then it's only a slightly muted volume when the navigation speaks. It's not Lexus I don't think, it's the radio manufacturer. It's been a point of notice in the RX (since the 2010 model) but we just have to accept that oddity with all the good things the car is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Prompts