ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Loaner Car: 2013 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 04:52 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rustytank
CPO on 6 year old car? What am i missing here....?
A CPO can be 6 years old as long as its under 70,000 miles.
Old 06-25-14, 04:53 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's just a personal choice. Save money and buy a depreciated lux car, or get a new car with new technology and no history. I can see the argument for either since I don't change cars every 3 years (leased). The other equation is real: the cost to maintain wear items will be expensive, and if not for the extended warranty as you already know from the cost of the air suspension or control arms.

Now just enjoy your new to you LS. .
Old 06-25-14, 04:53 PM
rustytank
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
Sorry your getting beat up by the ES crew but you are on a ES thread!
The LS is a gorgeous car.. I hope you enjoy it for many many years..
haha, I'm not trying to beat up anyone. I can definitely see his point of view. If one can find a 6 year old certified with full warranty, great. But from my experience, this was near impossible to find at least where i'm located here in NYC...
Its really hard to find good pre-owned LS's period, as there are so few sold within recent few years.

Anyway, like what riknchar said, there is no right or wrong here. Its whatever suits you best and the chances you are willing to take and price you are willing to pay... To each his own.

Cheers!
Old 06-26-14, 05:51 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks to all for a good spirited debate! There's no doubt that an argument could be made either way, and I do think the new ES350 is a beautiful car with some very nice features. I've been somewhat dismayed to read on the forum that some people feel that Lexus has "cheaped out" on some of the ES features to cut costs, but every car company is in business to make money, and I still would argue that the 2014 ES stacks up really well against anything else in its class/price point. If things don't go well with my "CPO experiment," I'll likely go the ES350 route for my next car.

Only time will tell if my CPO LS600 will be costly to maintain (for the wear items). I know I won't have to replace tires or brakes anytime soon, and everything else that truly matters to me is covered by 6 years of warranty, so I'm not too concerned.

My other car is a 2009 Lexus SC430 Pebble Beach which has no warranty, so if I'm going to worry about car repair costs, I'll worry about that one ;-) On the bright side, the SC430 only has 12K miles and is still showroom fresh (and is widely considered one of the most reliable cars ever made).

In the end, I do feel incredibly lucky to have two amazing luxury vehicles, and I think I'm a Lexus "lifer" unless something really goes south on quality/price for Lexus...
Old 06-26-14, 06:20 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
While I think that there can be a good argument made for buying (some) CPO vehicles, you are mistaken if you think that the warranty you got with your CPO vehicle gives you nearly the same level of protection as does a new car warranty. First, it is not a "full" warranty. Instead, it is a limited warranty. Next, if you go through the list of items excluded from warranty coverage, you will find that it is quite extensive, and many of the excluded items are ones for which repairs can be quite expensive. Also, when the CPO inspection is done, there can be items with significant wear (up to 50%) that are not replaced/repaired, and they are items that are not covered by the limited warranty. Thus, there are many items that you will be paying to repair/replace much sooner than you would have to do with a new vehicle. Further, the 100,000 miles of CPO warranty coverage is 100,000 total miles on the vehicle. Thus, if the vehicle has 60,000 miles on it when you buy it, your warranty coverage is only for 40,000 miles. Finally, the CPO warranty is not a transferable warranty.

While I think that a good case can be made for some to buy a CPO vehicle and while the CPO warranty should give you some level of peace of mind, it simply is not that case that it is close to being as good as a new car warranty. I say all of this as someone who did, a number of years ago, buy a CPO vehicle. My CPO experience was very good, but I went into that purchase with the understanding that I was going to have, within the first couple of years of ownership, some (reasonably significant) expenses that I would not have had with a new vehicle.
Lesz: Interesting! Here's the list of items that are excluded from the CPO warranty, according to the Lexus web site:

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Since all of the expensive mechanical things are covered (engine, transmission, air ride suspension, Mark Levinson stereo, Nav unit, A/C unit, etc.), which things were you referring to when you said "many of the excluded items are ones for which repairs can be quite expensive..."?

Also, I can't think of too many "wear items" that would need to be replaced sooner than on a new car, since the brakes and tires are brand new all around... Am I missing something? Wiper Blades (actually, never mind, those were also replaced)?

I think the only thing to really watch out for on a CPO car is the cosmetics (interior trim, paint quality/dings/etc.), since those things aren't covered. Of course, you still have to do some digging to make sure the car hasn't been in an accident and that it has been regularly maintained by a Lexus dealer, but all of that info is available online (although there are ways to "hide" accident damage from CarFax, I understand).

Great points, though... Only time will tell if my experiment will pay off... Thanks for the insights!
Old 06-27-14, 11:52 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

My ES300h has a 51% residual with a 48 month lease, 2014 model, January 2014, 12K per year, Midwest
Old 06-27-14, 01:26 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mcomer
My ES300h has a 51% residual with a 48 month lease, 2014 model, January 2014, 12K per year, Midwest
That's kind of low isn't it? I thought I read that the ES retained about 50% or better for 5 years and had one of the lowest depreciation in that class. Maybe calculated differently for leases..
Old 06-27-14, 01:42 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

This website says 58% for 15k miles a year, 36 months. So, 12k miles a year for 48 months should be roughly around 58% as well.
http://www.ridewithg.com/lexus-lease-rates/
Old 06-29-14, 02:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Those rates are for 36 months. A 51% residual after 48 months is excellent.
Old 06-30-14, 08:12 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Lesz: Interesting! Here's the list of items that are excluded from the CPO warranty, according to the Lexus web site:

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Since all of the expensive mechanical things are covered (engine, transmission, air ride suspension, Mark Levinson stereo, Nav unit, A/C unit, etc.), which things were you referring to when you said "many of the excluded items are ones for which repairs can be quite expensive..."?

Also, I can't think of too many "wear items" that would need to be replaced sooner than on a new car, since the brakes and tires are brand new all around... Am I missing something? Wiper Blades (actually, never mind, those were also replaced)?

I think the only thing to really watch out for on a CPO car is the cosmetics (interior trim, paint quality/dings/etc.), since those things aren't covered. Of course, you still have to do some digging to make sure the car hasn't been in an accident and that it has been regularly maintained by a Lexus dealer, but all of that info is available online (although there are ways to "hide" accident damage from CarFax, I understand).

Great points, though... Only time will tell if my experiment will pay off... Thanks for the insights!

I think you will be very happy with both these very very dependable vehicles. Congrats.
Old 06-30-14, 01:54 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Those rates are for 36 months. A 51% residual after 48 months is excellent.
I don't lease. So is 51% residual after 4 years good for the leaser or leasee? The lower the residual value, the worst for the person taking out the lease?
Old 06-30-14, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right, you want the highest residual possible. The lease is basically the difference between the purchase price and residual, plus interest divided by the lease term. 51% after 48 months is great. For instance, my 2014 Jeep I just leased is 54% after 36 months. My 2010 ES was 50% after 36 months.
Old 06-30-14, 03:41 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Makes sense, but I'm surprised the Jeep has a higher residual. Must be a higher demand. Also, I'm surprised a leased vehicle seems to have a higher depreciation, or am I mistaken?
Old 06-30-14, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arty101
Makes sense, but I'm surprised the Jeep has a higher residual. Must be a higher demand. Also, I'm surprised a leased vehicle seems to have a higher depreciation, or am I mistaken?
Different eras. The ES was back in 2010, ES residuals now are like 58% for 36 months.
Old 06-30-14, 03:46 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Got it. Now that makes more sense.

Quick Reply: Loaner Car: 2013 ES 350