Loaner Car: 2013 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 02:42 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
The steering wheel did not come out far enough for me,
I felt the same at first. But I think I've found the sweet spot. Usually takes me a few days to find the perfect adjustments when I buy a new car.
Old 02-01-13, 05:00 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that the ES shouldn't really be compared with the LS. They are two different cars. But when the ES is compared to other cars in its class, it really stands out. It is also much better than the 2002 ES that I once owned. It just all depends on what your looking for and what you are used to. For example, to get into my ES300h, I traded in my IS-F. The ES is much quieter (the F had a rumbling V8), it is much smoother riding (the F had sports suspension), and it has better fuel efficiency (I averaged 23 mpg with 80% highway usage with the F). But it's really not fair to one car or the other to make these comparisons because they are both in a different class. So the ES300h is a win/win situation for me. I'm loving it!
Old 02-01-13, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I'll tell ya what, I just got back from the DC auto show...and the new Lincoln MKZ blows the 2013 ES out of the water. Stylingwise the Lincoln is stunning, unique, special. Great quality, interior in unique and interesting.

The ES is a great car, but it doesn't stand out in its class the way it once did IMHO.
Old 02-01-13, 07:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I agree that the ES shouldn't really be compared with the LS. They are two different cars. But when the ES is compared to other cars in its class, it really stands out. It is also much better than the 2002 ES that I once owned. It just all depends on what your looking for and what you are used to. For example, to get into my ES300h, I traded in my IS-F. The ES is much quieter (the F had a rumbling V8), it is much smoother riding (the F had sports suspension), and it has better fuel efficiency (I averaged 23 mpg with 80% highway usage with the F). But it's really not fair to one car or the other to make these comparisons because they are both in a different class. So the ES300h is a win/win situation for me. I'm loving it!
To me this is a funny post. I have an F, and my wife has an ES. I took her car on one long trip, and absolutely hated it. But, she luvs her ES, and I luv my F. I can't envision any scenario where I would go from my F to an ES. The F and the ES both share a common name and have four wheels and four doors, but that's about it. They can not even remotely be compared with each other.

And, I'm no kid. I'm 74 years old and have owned modified performance cars since my first 1950 Mercury, 57 years ago.

Lou
Old 02-01-13, 07:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I'll tell ya what, I just got back from the DC auto show...and the new Lincoln MKZ blows the 2013 ES out of the water. Stylingwise the Lincoln is stunning, unique, special. Great quality, interior in unique and interesting.

The ES is a great car, but it doesn't stand out in its class the way it once did IMHO.
I'm anxious to see the new MKZ in person. It looks very nice both inside and out, in all of the pictures I've seen.

Ford/Lincoln has a lot riding on this new model, I hope that it does well for them.
Old 02-01-13, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm anxious to see the new MKZ in person. It looks very nice both inside and out, in all of the pictures I've seen.

Ford/Lincoln has a lot riding on this new model, I hope that it does well for them.
I was absolutely floored by the new MKZ, the inside is very modern and takes a little getting used to, but the car has so much style, its so American. Stunning car, it oozes class and quality.

Had that been out two months ago, I seriously might have gotten one.
Old 02-01-13, 07:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I was absolutely floored by the new MKZ, the inside is very modern and takes a little getting used to, but the car has so much style, its so American. Stunning car, it oozes class and quality.

Had that been out two months ago, I seriously might have gotten one.
I'm really liking the front and rear ends of the MKZ. In this era of my grill is bolder than yours, I think they nailed it with theirs. It looks bold, understated and tasteful all at the same time.
Old 02-01-13, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely, and the styling of the car flows so fluidly, really nice. It doesn't look like any Lincoln I've ever seen, yet its unmistakably a Lincoln...if that makes sense...
Old 02-01-13, 08:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

my 2013 GS350 F Sport went in on thursday. they'll have her until mon/tues. i was given a 2013 satin cashmere ES350 as a loaner. the suspension is much softer than i remember (had 2 ES vehicles) . the steering is very light, engine speed decreases with a slight jerk as i take my foot off the gas. the ride is strange. maybe because i'm used to the GS ride. it's definitely much roomier than the GS, and you can tell. i was saying to myself, "damn this is roomy". it is whisper quiet IMO, lexus did a great job insulating that car. overall i don't think i'll ever own another ES.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8437378514/http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8437378514/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/76804690@N05/, on Flickr
Old 02-01-13, 11:43 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I like the new MKZ a lot as well. I even ordered one. But the Fusion/MKZ' production was delayed several times due to random build issues. On top of that, the dealer ordered the wrong color. So I got tired of waiting and got the ES. I think it would be a great car in a year or two but they need to get the kinks out first.

I thought to myself, if a car has this many problems and has barely been released, I could imagine all the problems it could have down the road. I'm glad I chose a more reliable vehicle.
Old 02-02-13, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

More reliable is a relative thing. Certainly Lexus has had issues with first year models before.

I'd rather have a company delay production to address issues than getting the cars out on the road and then address the issues.
Old 02-02-13, 04:33 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I hate Fords more than any other brand. Very user unfriendly. Like just turning on the heater and regulating the temperature and fan speed was a major pain on the Fusions and Taurus's I have rented. So I would imagine the same is true with the MKZ. I will not let the Ford engineers seduce me into buying via cosmetic based qualities like classy looking interior furnishings. I'd bet the MKZ's ride, quietness and seat comfort are no better than an ordinary Taurus just like a Buick LaCrosse's is no more quiet or comfortable than a Chevy Impala or Malibu. As much as I dislike Toyotas downgrading of interiors in recent years, the brand is still superior in user friendliness, reliability, durability and ease of maintenance.
Old 02-02-13, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Having sat in both the Fusion and MKZ I can say that from an interior and comfort perspective the MKZ is an improvement. Can't say about the drive since I haven't driven either, but the MKS I drove was very nice.
Old 02-02-13, 04:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Absolutely, and the styling of the car flows so fluidly, really nice. It doesn't look like any Lincoln I've ever seen, yet its unmistakably a Lincoln...if that makes sense...
It will be interesting to see if the MKZ can help to change the perception of Lincoln and appeal to a wider/younger buyer demographic.

Toyota has the same challenge with the new Avalon and the ES has been working on it too for quite a while.
Old 02-03-13, 09:57 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It will be interesting to see if the MKZ can help to change the perception of Lincoln and appeal to a wider/younger buyer demographic.
Toyota has the same challenge with the new Avalon and the ES has been working on it too for quite a while.
If I were a Hyundai executive I'd be thinking: "All we have to do now to crush Lexus and the other "luxury" car makers is make a car that has an old fashion soft and coffin quiet ride combined with large, soft seats and an interior that's luxurious looking and feeling, but devoid of complicated and expensive electronics. Overnight Hyundai would be swamped with order for hundreds of thousands of these $25,000 - $30,000 grandpa and grandma cars. Plus another couple hundred thousand that younger people would buy who drive alot of highway miles and so need a car that is not fatiguing. Current Lexus models have so much high frequency road and tire noise at highway speeds that it is necessary to wear ear plugs to cut fatigue when driving long distances.

Quick Reply: Loaner Car: 2013 ES 350