Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 12:06 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JBL on Toyota vs "standard" audio in ES series

My Camry had upgraded JBL speakers.

I am getting the nav with surround sound and 8 speaker

I did not get the mark levinson speaker system.

Is the upgraded audio that comes with nav comparable to JBL, or should I have gotten the mark levinson. I really like the JBL so I'm curious if I got a downgrade
Old 10-26-12, 07:26 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't actually heard the JBL system in action, but judging from the description on Toyota's 2012 Avalon web page (660 watts, 12 speakers including subwoofer), I would venture to guess that the standard audio system on the ES is a downgrade from the JBL. I think I've read that the ES audio system is a Pioneer, but I don't think I've ever seen the specs listed.

I really would've liked to have gotten the ML system myself, but they're just not readily available in my area of the country. I would judge the standard audio system as just OK; certainly not as good as the Harman Kardon I gave up when I traded in my 2010 Buick LaCrosse.

Edit: I reread your post and saw you were moving up from a Camry. I checked the JBL system on the 2012 Camry and I see it only has 11 speakers (including subwoofer), with no wattage listed. I still guess that the ES audio is a downgrade from the Camry, but probably less of a downgrade than from the Avalon.

Last edited by jetman; 10-26-12 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 01:00 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2009 TCH with the JBL audio system. It is an incredible system and the standard audio system on the ES350 prior to 2013 is definitely a downgrade. I have been quite disappointed with it in my '11 ES350. But the 2013 is far improved and I would say on par or at least very close to the JBL. The ML system in obviously the best, but the new and improved 'standard' audio is actually quite good and I doubt disappointing anyone.
Old 10-27-12, 04:22 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

I've actually listened to JBL in a 2012 Avalon and I have ML in my IS. If you ask me JBL gives ML a run for its money. So in that respect , it's definitely a downgrade for you.
Old 10-27-12, 06:41 AM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I e-mailed Lexus last night and asked them if they could provide the specs for the standard audio system. Probably won't get an answer until after the weekend, but when I get a reply I'll post it here.
Old 10-27-12, 08:37 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

thanks fo much for your replies! i actually have 2009 TCH with JBL like ElliotB, and I absolutely love my JBL. I'm glad to hear that JBL is somewhat close the ML. I was started to beat myself up for ordering a $45+ car and then finally skimping out on the audio for the last $1G

I listened to the dvd of Batman Begins in the es300h and it impressed me (standard Nav audio) but when i listened to my music cds, i had this odd feeling that it wasn't up to par (these were brief listening during test drives). i wasn't sure if it was because i hadn't adjusted the equalizer to my settings

I think the ML are tough to find, so if i had wanted a ML with the color i wanted, i might have to wait a while. (that's how i'm living with my decision, ha!)

To my knowledge, there is 4 different sound systems

1. Base is "8 speaker Premium sound system"
2. Upgrade to Display Audio gets you "HD radio and iTunes tagging" along with the 8 speaker Premium sound system
3. Upgrade to the Nav package gets you all the above features and "5.1 surround sound with DSP" (which makes sense since the Nav has the DVD player built in. but it is still listed as a "8 speaker Premium sound system"

4. Mark Levinson

Source: http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/features/

I agree with Jetman that it seems like the standard audio "8 speaker premium sound system" is a Pioneer
Source: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2013.html
Source 2: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...s-sub-add.html
Old 10-27-12, 11:29 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

uicandrew, change your order!
Old 10-27-12, 12:45 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I already agreed on a price and I don't want to wait for a custom order. I don't want to be pushed higher by extra options like ultra luxury. I don't like the fact that the price for ultra luxury is the same for es350 and es300h when the hybrids don't get the panoramic roof. I like my color combo (deep sea mica and parchment)
Old 10-27-12, 02:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by uicandrew
I already agreed on a price and I don't want to wait for a custom order. I don't want to be pushed higher by extra options like ultra luxury. I don't like the fact that the price for ultra luxury is the same for es350 and es300h when the hybrids don't get the panoramic roof. I like my color combo (deep sea mica and parchment)

The 300h Ultra Luxury Pkg is $500 less than the 350 UL pkg..
Old 10-27-12, 03:13 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Dang it. So much for my justification. Ha!
Old 10-27-12, 03:15 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

uicandrew, change your order! - You won't regret it. Its worth the wait!
Old 10-27-12, 03:16 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

I believe the reason it is ULP may be less on the hybrid and the ES350 is because the panoramic sunroof is not part of the package (not available on the 300h).
Old 10-27-12, 03:41 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Would it **** off the dealer to cancel an order and order a different configuration ?

I don't want to have it delivered in January because my trade in goes down further and I want to use sales tax to offset my 2012 taxes. I will stick to my order. I was happy enough when I listened to it when I test drove them.
Old 10-28-12, 04:37 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Considering you may keep the car a long time, you may want to and compare the two if you can. If the ML is something you really want, it is something you will really miss for all the hours and hours you spend in your car.I would not worry about the dealer. Write off the taxes in 2013!
Old 01-11-13, 04:15 PM
rickeveru
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jetman
I e-mailed Lexus last night and asked them if they could provide the specs for the standard audio system. Probably won't get an answer until after the weekend, but when I get a reply I'll post it here.
Hi,

Have you received the specs for the standard system? I am picking up me ES next week and am quite concerned about the sound quality.

Paul

Quick Reply: JBL on Toyota vs "standard" audio in ES series