ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ML Audio - Are you happy with it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 02:41 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the ML support center today; they re-directed me to their install tech manager. Basically any amp that gets worked on under warranty goes to him. He was very aware of the 2013 ES350 subwoofer distortion. He agreed it should thump as expected even out of the small free air sub. The tech manager told me that he has seen lots of emails regarding this issue and they were able to recreate the distortion. The root cause is too much gain on the Sub Amp. The solution is to flash (update the firmware) on all the new factory ML amplifiers heading to Japan for install. This will correct the excessive gain thus removing the distortion. The reason why so many subwoofers are getting blown is directly related to this gain. If you crank it and try to live with it you will blow it.
Good news!!! The tech said the new firmware update is scheduled to be released in two or three weeks. He recommended in 4 weeks, so March 11th you all should call your local dealer. Tell them your issue and what the resolution is. By then they could have the new amps, and the service notice. The dealer will swap your sub amp with the new gain levels and all should be as it should.

If we wait, the bass will come. !!
Old 02-11-13, 03:00 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update!
Old 02-11-13, 03:04 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Lexus had a similar issue with the 2007 LS 460 ML radio. You would think they would have figured it out by now...
Old 02-11-13, 05:49 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Default Schedule over quality

ML is probably within some engineering tolerance that works well with most genres however when quick base response is needed for something like electronic music or r&b the gain prevents the voice coils from performing correctly. Now since enough people are complaining finally they are fine tuning the amp. The reason they didn't fix this first is because of schedule over quality. ML has to abide to the Lexus production schedule or they get fined. It is cheaper for them to deliver an amp that will perform within spec for 80% and pay for the new update after the sales are up then to push schedule to the right to get it right and pay hefty fines to Lexus and possibly get dropped as a supplier. Because the head unit designers are finishing their products at the exact same time ML is finishing up with their amps. no time to fine tune. Just my take on it.

I have confidence it will get corrected, Lexus has always been very good at following up on things like this.
Old 02-12-13, 04:12 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Roddog1515, I hope you are correct. Part of the 'fix' with the LS460 was to lower the overall volume, especially with satellite radio.
Old 02-12-13, 02:12 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Default ML sub

I hope so too.

I'll post here in a month when I speak to my dealer. If there isn't a resolution by then I will call back to ML and possibly drive my car to their service center and have them re flash the amp. Why wait for the dealer.
Old 03-04-13, 08:21 PM
Churmsk
Driver School Candidate

Hoping that they hear about this issue up in Canada. I was speaking with two local dealerships today and they have no idea what I`m talking about. They go on to say that they have received no complaints about the ML system...which I find hard to believe. Distortion is clearly noticeable. I emailed Lexus Canada this morning in the hope of receiving some insight. Frustrating when Canadian dealerships are saying "TSBs are different in the US. Issues fixed in the US may not be fixed in Canada". For some items, this may be true, but for an amp? Not buying that excuse.