HID bulbs for fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-13, 07:53 AM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sessionstu
Kenny,

You might want to check the wiring harness between the HID bulb and extender. I noticed on mine that depending on which way you insert the connector it can either lock in place or have some freedom to move around. I used a cable tie to secure the connectors together.

Good luck
I finally got around to troubleshooting my fog lights. First the obvious, the double-sided tape supplied with the kit to mount the ballasts is useless...I've edited my DIY to communicate this fact. I had reservations about using this tape in the first place but proceeded with the project anyway.

I was able to reconnect and properly secure the ballast on the passenger side fog light. Then I discovered that the driver side fog light wasn't working...no luck fixing it. I'll have to buy another ballast or kit.
Old 02-23-13, 08:57 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Would you consider the LEDs instead?
Old 02-23-13, 11:03 AM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My V-Leds came in and I installed them. The look damn nice. Once it gets dark I'll snap some pics. They are the new 700 lumen ones not the cheap "show" ones.
Old 02-23-13, 11:33 AM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arty101
Would you consider the LEDs instead?
Maybe but I would like to see some pictures first for comparison. Hopefully XPCGAMER can provide us with pictures of his set-up.
Old 03-14-13, 07:32 PM
osp42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have issues on installing their H11 bulbs? On the factory bulb it shows, H16 but everyone is using H11 bulbs. Is there any modification needed for the install of the bulbs?
Old 04-25-13, 07:49 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

I wanted to revive this thread after installing the LEDs. The HIDs are an easier mod. Also, I wanted to again answer some members questions.

1) No, you do not need a relay or fuse. My HIDs went out on me due to improper mounting of the ballast. I left them like that (for over two months) until I installed the LEDs...no problem the LEDs fired right up.

2) Mount the ballast with anything other than the double-sided tape (heavy-duty velcro may be one choice)

3) Be sure to get the polarity right (+) and (-).

I hope this helps.
Old 04-26-13, 08:53 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for updating the thread. We always include both double sided tape and tie straps with our HID kits as I agree with you that double sided tape will fail (regardless of the quality).

While they won't provide as much light as an HID kit, our 30W H11 CREE LED bulbs will be pretty bright and are a nice match for HID low beams.

Steve
Old 04-26-13, 07:49 PM
DiabloNino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Thanks for updating the thread. We always include both double sided tape and tie straps with our HID kits as I agree with you that double sided tape will fail (regardless of the quality).

While they won't provide as much light as an HID kit, our 30W H11 CREE LED bulbs will be pretty bright and are a nice match for HID low beams.

Steve
I installed this kit tonight and am very pleased. It was a very simple installation and everything fit perfectly. I can confirm that the H11 bulbs fit perfectly. I could not give this product a higher recommendation. I am also very happy with the final result, those awful looking fog lights are a thing of the past!!
Old 04-27-13, 03:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloNino
I installed this kit tonight and am very pleased. It was a very simple installation and everything fit perfectly. I can confirm that the H11 bulbs fit perfectly. I could not give this product a higher recommendation. I am also very happy with the final result, those awful looking fog lights are a thing of the past!!
Please take some night pic's to share with us.
Old 04-29-13, 08:53 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

DiabloNino: Thanks for posting some feedback. Which XenonDepot HID kit did you end up installing? The Volt HID kit or the Xtreme HID kit? What color temperature did you go with?

Steve
Old 06-20-13, 09:38 PM
AndyS12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hdfanatic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270402461629...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Once ordered, send payment via Paypal and include a note stating you want H11 with 5000k to match the headlights.
Is this the same kit for a 2011 ES, or just the 2013 and on models?
Old 09-01-13, 07:39 AM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

Just an update that I installed the H11 HID lights offered by orangemica on eBay. Since they are 5,000 and not 4,300, they do look a bit whiter than the headlights, but are a much, much, much better match than the factory incandescents. They look really sharp and for $28.99 with free shipping, I figured I couldn't go wrong!

I'm not a very technical car guy and was able to do it. I leveraged the info in this thread and it helped greatly. Here are some of my tips:

1. Do the driver's side first. The passenger side will be slightly more challenging since there is a fluid reservoir in front of the fog light. So become a pro at the driver's side, then do the passenger side.

2. I felt I only needed to remove two screws and two clips to get the job done. I removed too much when doing the driver's side. Here is the ones that I did:

-- On the plastic pan on the bottom of the car, you'll notice a rubber shield of some sort right in front of the wheel also bolted to the plastic pan. There are three screws on this rubber shield. I removed the first two closest to the outside of the car.

-- The first two clips starting from the ground from the wheel well. Read in the owner's manual about how to change the signal lights for info on how to remove these. THey are simple though. The first you just turn a screw to remove and the next you use a screwdriver to pop out the top part. The owner's manual has a better description of how to do it.

From there I peeled back the wheel well and had great access to the foglight and surrounding area.

3. The kit comes with a black and red wire with end plugs that you then insert into a plastic connector that will fit into the factory connector. Before inserting them into this plastic connector, I recommend connecting them individually into the factory plug to test the light and understand what orientation the plug ends need to be. When I first did it, I put the red and black wire in the plastic connector. The polarity was right, but I had the plug ends facing the wrong direction. It would still plug into the factory socket, but not work. But once they are in the plastic socket, they are difficult to remove. So test the orientation first, then slide them into the plastic socket, then put the plastic socket into the factory plug.

4. I ended up using the double-sided tape. I'll probably pay for it later, but for now I have instant gratification. I tried some epoxy and stuff, but I couldn't get it to stick. I chose a place where the ballast could rest on the lip of the bumper. I figured it may have support and be cooler there. But I don't know.

Thanks for all of the help guys. Most impactful $29 I've ever spent. I would take pics, but they look the same as the other pics on the thread.

Jacob
Old 09-15-13, 06:18 AM
vacarman02
Driver School Candidate

Cool HID bulbs for fog lights

Just another .02 cents worth of info.I also ordered and tried the HID kit off Ebay and had some issues as have other members. One side would work well intermittantly and sometimes the other,so I remounted the ballasts and eventually experienced similar results. I removed them and now have the V LED bulbs for about 2 months with no issues. I reasoned that with fewer components there are less chances of failure IMHO.Hope my experience will help someone else here!
Old 09-15-13, 09:33 PM
hdfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vacarman02
Just another .02 cents worth of info.I also ordered and tried the HID kit off Ebay and had some issues as have other members. One side would work well intermittantly and sometimes the other,so I remounted the ballasts and eventually experienced similar results. I removed them and now have the V LED bulbs for about 2 months with no issues. I reasoned that with fewer components there are less chances of failure IMHO.Hope my experience will help someone else here!
Exact same experience here. HID kit from eBay failed after a couple weeks. Installed the VLED's this weekend. They look nice. I did have to cut a couple of the 3 "wings" to allow the VLED's to properly mount. Once I figured that out, everything went smoothly.
Old 09-16-13, 06:56 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

As long as the HID kit has low draw ballasts, a relay harness should not be required for the fog lights.

Which "wings" are you referring to?

Steve

Quick Reply: HID bulbs for fog lights