ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 03:24 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I first starting driving a vehicle with a partial wood steering wheel a few years ago, and was hesitant about it. But, it time, I have learned to enjoy and appreciate it.

I suggest you give it a try for a while longer. You may change your mind and find like me and many others that it is really a nice touch to a great vehicle, and is usually only enjoyed by a minority of drivers who have higher end vehicles.
Old 12-30-12, 07:19 AM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
I first starting driving a vehicle with a partial wood steering wheel a few years ago, and was hesitant about it. But, it time, I have learned to enjoy and appreciate it.

I suggest you give it a try for a while longer. You may change your mind and find like me and many others that it is really a nice touch to a great vehicle, and is usually only enjoyed by a minority of drivers who have higher end vehicles.
Thanks Elliot!
Old 12-30-12, 09:44 AM
lemon397
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have got a heated one. you'll be surprised to see how it helps in cold weather.
Old 12-30-12, 09:59 AM
Slackbus
Driver

Originally Posted by lemon397
Should have got a heated one. you'll be surprised to see how it helps in cold weather.
The heated steering wheel turned out the be the most surprising feature for me. I didn't think I'd like it that much, but its actually my favorite option on the whole car. It feels really nice with the soft leather.
Old 12-30-12, 04:00 PM
lemon397
Rookie

Originally Posted by Slackbus
The heated steering wheel turned out the be the most surprising feature for me. I didn't think I'd like it that much, but its actually my favorite option on the whole car. It feels really nice with the soft leather.
I had the same feeling when i turned the switch ON and felt it while driving the car back from dealership. I generally keep it ON till the car and heated seats gets warm enough and then turn it off but it really helps for that 5-10 mins.
Old 12-30-12, 08:05 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When the car was a day old I told my husband that "I don't know how I ever lived without a heated steering wheel!" One of the best comfort features for me as Well.
Old 12-30-12, 08:48 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ElliotB

I too would concur with Elliot. I have had too many leather wrapped steering wheels so when I got the wood/leather steering wheel in LX, was not enamored of it until I drove it. It reminded me of the steering wheels of my youth in the early 60's. the wood feels well in your hand and have gotten fond of it know!
Old 12-31-12, 10:42 AM
mikedege
Rookie

I would prefer an all leather wheel, but, I would also prefer one with less of a diameter, its like I'm holding onto a tree trunk. I mean this thing is phat..... lol.... but, I will take it, besides that, this car is awesome.

-Mike
Old 01-01-13, 06:14 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

I like PHAT wheels!

fwiw, I see a ding on my wheel at the 5 O'clock position. small but a indentation....
Old 01-01-13, 07:25 AM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
I like PHAT wheels!

fwiw, I see a ding on my wheel at the 5 O'clock position. small but a indentation....
Maybe it's a knot from the tree!
Old 01-01-13, 03:49 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KratosBear
Maybe it's a knot from the tree!
^ must be in sales! LOL.

could have been my metal watch band... but is 5 o'clock, not 7oclock.....

then again, I found ballpoint ink mark on the A pillar after deliver. dealer will correct all this month... but really the prep was less than I expected....

(40psi all around, not 33 as listed on door frame).
THAT bothers me the most... since I could see women/ typical buyer not checking that till the next service. 10k miles (?)

---
edit:
A pillar pic - I can be fixed but IMHO, should have been caught by the new car prep guys.
Attached Thumbnails Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP!-imag0029.jpg  

Last edited by mrBillFL; 01-02-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 05:54 PM
ralphtc
Driver School Candidate

I love the wood and leather steering wheel, I always admired it everytime I saw a Lexus, now owning a CPO 2010 ES350, I love the feeling of the steering, as I've had no slipping issue at all, and have only owned the car for less than a month. I just wish they made the heated steering wheel back in 2010 included in a package. My 2010 Maxima SV with the premium package had the heated steering wheel, I'm going to miss that feature in the winter time, also I wish the steering wheel had side bolsters, but with the wood that's impossible, still love that steering wheel, makes the car so sexy.
Old 05-08-17, 06:29 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I actually bought the car because of the wooden steering wheel. I always wanted a car with a wooden wheel. I think they add a touch of class to the car.
Old 05-09-17, 05:57 AM
mtsmts
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 Lexus All Leather Steering Wheel

My 2013 Lexus ES 350 does come with all leather steering wheel but it is a base model. If my care comes with it, I am sure the dealer can special order one for you.
Attached Thumbnails Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP!-lexus-wheel.jpg  
Old 05-10-17, 01:48 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Personally I really like the wood and leather steering wheel. Loved it since day one... feels great to the touch..... I can tell you this...at the beginning of this thread you sounded as if you really really really hate it... so much so that I'm not sure you would ever come around to liking it. I don't know you so maybe you would, but just based on the tone I don't think you would ever be a fan... if that is truly the case and you hate it that much, I wouldn't buy the car... If you're like me, it will nag at you and you won't really enjoy the vehicle.. I know because when I was shopping for a car I was thinking about buying another cadillac... a friend of mine worked at the dealership and he had one caddy in the model I was interested in... only one he had and he made me one hell of an offer.. it was one of those offers that was too good to be true. The problem was I hated the color... it was silver... I didn't just dislike the color, I absolutely hated it.. but the deal was soooooo good, I told my wife I was going to go ahead and buy it... she told me if you don't like the car now before you buy it, you will definetly not like it after you buy it and are making those monthly payments.... she was right, I passed and went to Lexus where they had exactly what I wanted in the color I wanted and at a price I could live with... I'm just saying if you can't change the steering wheel out, and if you can't get passed it, you won't like it later. just my 2 cents worth. Good luck and I hope you can get it worked out to your satisfaction.

Poppa

Quick Reply: Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP!