ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Self Leveling HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 03:19 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah they put that disclaimer because when you ask they can back out of it. Funny.
Old 02-12-13, 10:27 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
'Lane change assist' is not the correct name for that feature in the USA. It is actually called LKA (Lane Keep Assist) by Lexus. There is no Lexus option that helps you change lanes.
Correct. Not available in the US, on the ES. Didn't say the LKA will "help you change lanes", but keep you in the lane.
Old 03-06-13, 12:50 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Looking for accessories for the ES and look what I found. Supposedly the motor for the leveling HIDs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-LEXUS-E...3b7b54&vxp=mtr

Also when looking at this listing, you can see where the motor is on the rear of the headlight. http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-2013-LEXU...5d20c8&vxp=mtr

But I have no idea if ES's from all markets use the same parts or are these only on the overseas version?
Old 04-10-13, 01:48 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Monday night I started my ES300h UL, I was around 30 feet away from a brick wall and I saw the headlights level themselves. They went up and then down about 4 inches on the wall. I have the PCS option so HID was not an option but perhaps they were included but not on window sticker.
Old 04-10-13, 04:29 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I swear I have seen my headlamps move up and down upon start up. It is subtle but I have seen it on more than one occasion.
Old 04-10-13, 11:35 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Does the UL have different HID system than the rest of the ES?
Old 04-11-13, 03:57 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The manual states: "The level of the headlights is automatically adjusted according to the number of passengers and the loading condition of the vehicle to ensure that the headlights do not interfere with other road users." Perhaps the system is tied into and adjusted by the suspension (just a thought).

Has anyone loaded up the car with passengers and luggage to see if 'something' happens. I typically drive alone and have never seen the headlights move. The system, whatever it is, is obviously different from the adaptive headlights of the previous version.
Old 04-11-13, 05:22 AM
jollick
Racer

The manual states: "The level of the headlights is automatically adjusted according to the number of passengers and the loading condition of the vehicle to ensure that the headlights do not interfere with other road users." Perhaps the system is tied into and adjusted by the suspension (just a thought).

Has anyone loaded up the car with passengers and luggage to see if 'something' happens. I typically drive alone and have never seen the headlights move. The system, whatever it is, is obviously different from the adaptive headlights of the previous version.
By the way, I was the only one in the car at the time and had not put anything in the trunk.
Old 04-11-13, 07:16 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Jollic, I have the PCS option too and have not seen any movement ever.

Are you seeing this consistently or only this one time?
Old 04-11-13, 08:46 AM
jollick
Racer

Jollick, I have the PCS option too and have not seen any movement ever.

Are you seeing this consistently or only this one time?
This is the first I have noticed it, I have seen movement while driving but just thought it was variations in the road. I do not drive that much after dark and when I do I am in a parking lot with no walls nearby to notice it.
Old 04-11-13, 11:45 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

My understanding of self leveling is that it adjusts according to the grade of the street and the load of the car. I think the new ES has provisions for the load of the car, where it is tied to the suspension and can sense more weight in the rear and will adjust accordingly. However, I am unaware that it can adjust to grades i.e. lower the lights at hill crest, and raise the light at dips.

Part of the self leveling test is that the headlights lowers and raises at start up as a system check. I haven't seen my HIDs do that, nor adjust for varying grades or approaches. I come up and over my driveway curb everyday, and the light doesn't lower at the crest.

Maybe the UL has the auto self leveling lights, unlike the other HID lights.
Old 04-12-13, 01:37 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Arty101, I have the UL package and I have never seen the lights move (I owned a 2011 ES 350 with the auto HID lights and currently own another Lexus vehicle with them so I am familiar with the system ).
Old 04-12-13, 05:30 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Arty101, I have the UL package and I have never seen the lights move
Same here.
Old 04-12-13, 10:21 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Hum some ES do and some don't have the auto self leveling?
Old 04-12-13, 05:48 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

self leveling headlights is different from active/dynamic headlights.

Self leveling headlight have smaller motor and it "gradually" levels the head light according the suspension level.

Active/Dynamic headlight have bigger motor and headlight housing. It actively moves depending on the cars inclination and suspension level of the vehicle. The headlight moves if steep angle like going up in a garage or headlight moves left/right when turning.

The 2013 is just self leveling with a tiny motor below the housing. If you guys seen the motor it is very small (and it look cheap) and the gears are exposed and can easily stripped. I'm sure give a few years this will become an issue with this car.

I definitely disagree that the UL will have a different type headlight and that it calibrate itself at ignition. I've seen several 2013 ES UL package and all headlights are the same.

Quick Reply: Self Leveling HIDs