Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300H Sunglass Holder

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-12, 09:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I had a 2007 and 2010 ES350 and both cars had nav + the compass in he mirror. If I remember correctly they went with the current configuration with the 2011 model. I'd miss the compass in the mirror too.

We have a new car which has the compass in the mirror as well as navigation which we like.
Old 12-15-12, 09:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by UTAS
Well, without making excuses for Lexus, I don't think the ES being an entry level car has anything to with it - Lexus decided to cut a cost corner, or the provider (Gentex?) may have had a pile of these without the compass. Whatever.
Sure, cost cutting happens on entry level cars. They packed more content into a car and held the price point...something has to give. If the cost cutting bothers you...spend more. I moved up the GS because of cost cutting in the ES.

My GS has no compass mirror. My old ES did, but it did not have a alphanumerical compass display on the nav screen like my new GS and the ES does. Its redundant anyways, why do you want two compasses?

I traded an Avalon for this ES300h, and the Avalon had the compass in the mirror and navigation system.
Right, your Avalon is the flagship Toyota...this is the entry level Lexus.

It is cumbersome and clumsy to have to open the navigation screen to get direction of movement. Unless unfamiliar directions are needed, I have the navigation system OFF.
Sounds like maybe you should consider leaving the navigation system on.

Not that we can do anything about it now, the rearview mirror should have the compass on all Lexus'.
Well...sorry. They removed it on all Lexus models with navigation because its redundant.

I just went from compass in the mirror to compass in the nav screen and honestly didn't even realize the change until just now.
Old 12-16-12, 08:28 AM
UTAS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Sure, cost cutting happens on entry level cars. They packed more content into a car and held the price point...something has to give. If the cost cutting bothers you...spend more. I moved up the GS because of cost cutting in the ES.

My GS has no compass mirror. My old ES did, but it did not have a alphanumerical compass display on the nav screen like my new GS and the ES does. Its redundant anyways, why do you want two compasses?

Right, your Avalon is the flagship Toyota...this is the entry level Lexus.

Sounds like maybe you should consider leaving the navigation system on.

Well...sorry. They removed it on all Lexus models with navigation because its redundant.

I just went from compass in the mirror to compass in the nav screen and honestly didn't even realize the change until just now.
Well, gees. It was only an opinion. Dial back the expresso.
Old 12-16-12, 10:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I have a compass in the mirror of my F, do I really need it, Nope I don't. Do I like having, Yep I do. No compass on my Nav screen, but Since I know North from South and East from West, just glancing at my Nav screen tells me what direction I'm headed. The Compass, no a big deal to me.

However, the sunglass holder is another matter, if that weren't there, I would really miss it.

Lou
Old 12-16-12, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I absolutely don't understand why they decided its delete the sunglasses holder...
Old 12-16-12, 10:24 PM
andywoods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder why none of the screens show a clock. Yes I know there is an analog clock in the center of the dash. It would just be nice to have the date and time displayed. Would really be nich if your schedule from your phone would load to the car. That way in the morning it could remind you what on your to do list.
Old 12-17-12, 05:16 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by andywoods
I wonder why none of the screens show a clock. Yes I know there is an analog clock in the center of the dash. It would just be nice to have the date and time displayed. Would really be nich if your schedule from your phone would load to the car. That way in the morning it could remind you what on your to do list.
I like the idea of having your appointments on the nav., we should recommend this to our Lexus dealers, it might happen in a future release of the apps.
Old 12-17-12, 10:28 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not miss the compass in the mirror, never really accurate, I had the compass in the Audi, Mercedes, Volvo and my first Lexus.

I did not have compass in the mirror in my BMW, Porsche and now in my two current vehicles.
Old 12-21-12, 11:29 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

That's one of the things I really don't like about the ES.

The LS has one.
Old 12-22-12, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Does the 2013 LS still have one?

I don't understand the purpose of doing away with it on the ES or GS.
Old 12-22-12, 08:22 PM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Does the 2013 LS still have one?

I don't understand the purpose of doing away with it on the ES or GS.
Perhaps because there was always a glove compartment, Lexus thought a sunglass holder would be "redundant." Like the redundant compass (post #18) in the mirror being replaced by a fancy navigation system, which until recently was not always available.

More plausible: Or perhaps the ES design team decided to drop both at the same time for no good reason. Cost cutting, maybe. Unless one was part of the design team, that remains unknown.
Old 12-22-12, 10:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But they went from not having sunglass holders to having sunglass holders to not having sunglass holders...had a glove box all along.

I don't see how it saves any cost, and since they retained the compass mirror in cars without the navigation system I don't see that as the reason.
Old 12-23-12, 07:29 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

With the SOS button, overhead lights and sunroof buttons, is there even enough space for it?
Old 12-23-12, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My 2010 had overhead lights, sunroof buttons, an SOS button and a sunglass holder
Old 01-01-13, 03:19 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by UTAS
Well, without making excuses for Lexus, I don't think the ES being an entry level car has anything to with it - Lexus decided to cut a cost corner, or the provider (Gentex?) may have had a pile of these without the compass. Whatever.

I traded an Avalon for this ES300h, and the Avalon had the compass in the mirror and navigation system.

It is cumbersome and clumsy to have to open the navigation screen to get direction of movement. Unless unfamiliar directions are needed, I have the navigation system OFF.

Not that we can do anything about it now, the rearview mirror should have the compass on all Lexus'.
The new Avalon hybrid also has a sunglass holder and I can verify that it will hold a really large pair of shades, as we tested it on our test drive.

Quick Reply: ES300H Sunglass Holder