ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 09:45 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rattles

My ES300h has developed a few rattles. One from the dashboard on the driver's side and one in the driver's door. The latter lasts for only a few minutes on startup then stops. I can live with that one. The other, in the dash, stops when I lightly press on the padded part of the dash close to the defroster vent for the side window. I tightened the 2 screws on the hood above the speedometer and that seemed to quiet the rattle for a few days. Today the rattle started again. It's a little too early to give up trying to find the source, but I am getting a little frustrated.

I will try almost anything rather than let the service department disassemble the dashboard, which could cause additional rattles. I'm just wondering if anyone experienced the same rattle and solved the problem. I wish I wasn't so **** about rattles, but once my ear hears a noise that shouldn't be there, it latches on to it and that's all I hear.
Old 11-21-12, 11:39 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With over 1k and 5 weeks, no rattles so far, knock on wood. I hate rattles too . Maybe the car's so quiet, you notice more noise and rattles. Turn up the music? Good luck.
Old 11-21-12, 11:52 AM
JerryKK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I have noticed (or believe I have noticed) is that it sounds like some air is coming in the driver's side window (in the gap between the side-view mirror and the window). I only notice it if I am going 70 mph - or it could just be road noise which I am not used to. It's not serious but I will have it checked out when I take it in for my 5K mile inspection (which is far off into the horizon).
Old 11-21-12, 04:47 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JerryKK
What I have noticed (or believe I have noticed) is that it sounds like some air is coming in the driver's side window (in the gap between the side-view mirror and the window). I only notice it if I am going 70 mph - or it could just be road noise which I am not used to. It's not serious but I will have it checked out when I take it in for my 5K mile inspection (which is far off into the horizon).
Hey Jerry, that just gives the tech guy a reason to take your ride to 70+ (kind of like a sanctioned joy ride) and come back to tell you there's nothing wrong .
Old 11-21-12, 06:04 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
Hey Jerry, that just gives the tech guy a reason to take your ride to 70+ (kind of like a sanctioned joy ride) and come back to tell you there's nothing wrong .
That's true, Arty; however, if it becomes bothersome enough I may have to have it checked out. As I stated, it may just be road noise.
Old 11-22-12, 04:37 AM
chrisk008
Driver School Candidate

Quiet as can be at 1300K miles. Good luck with the search!
Old 11-22-12, 08:33 AM
MikeP
Advanced

I stuck a credit card between the hard plastic part if the hood over the instrument panel and the soft top of the dash. Seemed like when I gently pressed on the hard plastic part, the rattle stopped, so I experimented by inserting the credit card at various locations around the hood. I found a spot on the left side of the hood when inserting the card the rattle stopped. Hope it's not just a fluke. If the rattle doesn't return, I'll attempt a more permanent solution. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Old 11-23-12, 11:37 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Hey Jerry- I drove 70+mph and noticed a little more road and wind noise. Some coming from the front of the side window, but not really out of line with the increase in wind and road noise. To be certain, I cracked open the window and you'll definitely hear a marked increase in wind noise. So, I suspect the answer to your query will be SOP, unless your noise is like cracking open your window at speeds. Good luck, but let us know what the dealer says when you bring it in.
Old 11-23-12, 04:47 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
Hey Jerry- I drove 70+mph and noticed a little more road and wind noise. Some coming from the front of the side window, but not really out of line with the increase in wind and road noise. To be certain, I cracked open the window and you'll definitely hear a marked increase in wind noise. So, I suspect the answer to your query will be SOP, unless your noise is like cracking open your window at speeds. Good luck, but let us know what the dealer says when you bring it in.
Arty, what I might be hearing is what some of the reviewers have stated: that this car has more road noise than it should. I also have a 2007 IS 250 and I can go 80 without hearing as much wind noise as when I go 60 in the 300h! Still, I will inquire about it - just to be sure.
Old 11-23-12, 08:05 PM
UTAS
Driver

@ Mike P: I, too, have an ES300h with a rattle or three. I checked around the trunk area and found the plastic shroud inside and just in front of the license is prone to vibrating against the car's body; so I placed some 3/4 inch foam between the plastic and metal. However, while that may have been an issue, it did not solve the problem. So I noticed the rear seat had vertical movement, and stuck some insulation in key areas, which solved the looseness of the seat, but alas did not solve the rattle. Locating the noise source is tricky, because rattles tend to echo around, and it's hard to tell where the source is. Also, there was a vent module, driver's side, right - it is fastened on one end but not the other - it is loosely hung, so more insulation there, but to no avail.

Now, I did all of this because the dealership was unable to "hear" the rattle, much less fix it. I have another appointment with them next week - will have to take the technician out to prove a chatter exists. Only had the car a week.

I am more than a little disappointed with the lack of attention to sound deadening materials where hard plastic meets metal, or plastic on plastic (check out the seat buttons, which seem to have lots of play, which could be a source of unwanted noise).

I will update this thread if I solve this problem. BTW, this chatter / rattle occurs at 20mph, so no need for a joy ride by the technician. Very frustrating to own a $50k rattle.
Old 11-24-12, 06:05 AM
MikeP
Advanced

I keep reminding myself that this is an early first year model which I promised myself I would never buy again. I always wanted the newly designed model and always wound up disappointed in the amount of development work needed to eliminate rattles and other glitches. My other first year Lexus models were worse than my 2013 ESh.

Mostly, I think Lexus has improved the QC process on its recent new models because there are very few threads complaining about poor build quality. That's what made me break my promise to never buy another first year model again. Other than this intermittent rattle, which I am continuing to work on, I am very happy with my car. My 2010 ES350 did ride softer, but for me was boring after the newness wore off. My 300h is fun to drive, comfortable and great to look at. I haven't given up yet.
Old 11-24-12, 06:29 AM
UTAS
Driver

Yes - the ES300h is a wonderful car to drive (save the chatter / rattle, which is muted, but there at times); I traded in an '08 Avalon Limited, but the ES is even more quiet to drive. The Avalon, however, seemed more plush in the seat leather and upholstery on the doors. I would do the trade over again, because knowing the driving experience of the ES is a few notches higher. The Lexus dealership is great, as well.

I will get the rattle ironed out in time, I'm sure. And agree, Lexus' QC has improved, but as other posts have indicated, there have been apparent trade-downs on the materials being used on the latest editions (could be Yen to Dollar issues, bottom line margin costs, etc) - not a big deal, but subtle and sometimes noticeable.

The ES300h is great car and great driving experience - especially at the gas pump. My wife loves it, too, which is the most important issue.
Old 11-24-12, 09:34 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by UTAS
My wife loves it, too, which is the most important issue.
I can see you have your priorities worked out correctly
Old 12-07-12, 05:23 PM
UTAS
Driver

Talking ES300h errant rattle solved!

Originally Posted by MikeP
I can see you have your priorities worked out correctly
@ MikeP -

I believe I have solved the rattle in my ES300h - it was an errant, on-again-off-again rattle, and it seemed to originate from the trunk area on the driver's side. The Lexus dealership could not find it - they had the car for ten working days, and each time they test drove the car, it was quiet. When I took it there, it was rattling - until I accompanied the service tech, and from that time forward for the next couple weeks it was quiet. Very frustrating.

Tonight I think I found the source. I have this link for your perusal - hopefully it will help others who might have the same issue (I have included subtitles to describe the problem and solution):

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...A0DzFGpTzMZBpM

I hope the above link works - let me know if it does not.

Regards,

UTAS
Old 12-07-12, 10:18 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Good sleuthing job UTAS. I might suggest using black felt, or use black marker on the beige felt to make it inconspicuous.

Quick Reply: Rattles