ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Am I dreaming or is the ride in fact better in Sport mode?

Old 11-18-12, 04:53 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I dreaming or is the ride in fact better in Sport mode?

I picked up the car a couple of months ago and have about 3,000 miles or so on it.

I have been driving it in eco mode almost all the time, with just a short sprint here in there in sport and normal modes to experience the difference.

After reading a few posts in another thread that folks were actually getting better mileage in Sport mode than Eco, I decided to drive the car in Sport mode for a week and see what kind of mileage I get.

Well, well, well! While the verdict is still out on the mileage bit, I think the ride is much better somehow... or it an over-used mind playing a trick on the old guy?
Old 11-18-12, 07:35 AM
LexVince
Driver School Candidate

I'm feeling tighter steering and more aggressive acceleration in Sports mode. If the mind is playing tricks, we're both in the same boat.
Old 11-18-12, 07:39 AM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleBen
I picked up the car a couple of months ago and have about 3,000 miles or so on it.

I have been driving it in eco mode almost all the time, with just a short sprint here in there in sport and normal modes to experience the difference.

After reading a few posts in another thread that folks were actually getting better mileage in Sport mode than Eco, I decided to drive the car in Sport mode for a week and see what kind of mileage I get.

Well, well, well! While the verdict is still out on the mileage bit, I think the ride is much better somehow... or it an over-used mind playing a trick on the old guy?
Unlike the Sport S+ mode in the GS, the Sport mode in the ES just alters the throttle mapping so the gears change faster. The ride is not affected, since there is no change in the suspension (Sport+ tightens the suspension). But you do get the sense of being in a more powerful car. I leave my car in Sport mode all the time for that reason.
Old 11-18-12, 07:43 AM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by LexVince
I'm feeling tighter steering and more aggressive acceleration in Sports mode. If the mind is playing tricks, we're both in the same boat.
As per Lexus: "Sport mode changes the gauge cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping." There is no mention of tighter steering.
The following users liked this post:
jagiovana (03-03-20)
Old 11-18-12, 08:34 AM
mikedege
Rookie

There absolutely is a difference in steering between Sport and Eco. Give it a try, Eco is much lighter, and it is easily noticable.

Mike :-)
Old 11-18-12, 08:50 AM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by mikedege
There absolutely is a difference in steering between Sport and Eco. Give it a try, Eco is much lighter, and it is easily noticable.

Mike :-)
According to Edmunds: "The ES's Sport mode further sharpens steering and throttle response"; you are correct. Surprised that Lexus doesn't mention it, though.

Like I said, the second I start the car I put it in Sport Mode. I used Eco mode once; I said "never again". And Sport Mode just feels so much better than Normal that I never use that mode either... I wish the car would just start up in Sport Mode so I don't have to bother turning the dial.
Old 11-18-12, 09:25 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^And you believe Edmunds over Lexus

Lou
Old 11-18-12, 09:52 AM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^And you believe Edmunds over Lexus

Lou
...only going by what Mike and Edmunds are saying. I haven't gone outside to determine for myself yet. What's your opinion: tighter steering, fact or fiction?
Old 11-18-12, 09:56 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...omy+40+mpg.htm

The above Lexus link states: "•Sport mode increases powertrain and steering responsiveness, while the IP changes from the hybrid power monitor to a tachometer." That statement is on both the ES300h and ES350 pages.

Last edited by jollick; 11-18-12 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-18-12, 10:01 AM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by jollick
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...omy+40+mpg.htm

The above Lexus link states: "•Sport mode increases powertrain and steering responsiveness, while the IP changes from the hybrid power monitor to a tachometer."
The press release is about the ES300h, but I would imagine that the first part applies to the ES350 as well...
Old 11-18-12, 10:37 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

If we set aside the powertrain and steering responsiveness for the sake of this discussion sake, I find that the ride is smoother in sport mode... Try it on a rough patch and see for yourself. Or perhaps you'll come back here and say that Uncle Ben needs to take his afternoon nap prior to testing his car!
Old 11-18-12, 11:50 AM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by UncleBen
If we set aside the powertrain and steering responsiveness for the sake of this discussion sake, I find that the ride is smoother in sport mode... Try it on a rough patch and see for yourself. Or perhaps you'll come back here and say that Uncle Ben needs to take his afternoon nap prior to testing his car!
Ben, before you take your nap - let us know how the mpg is in the sport mode and if it's equal or perhaps even better than normal mode.
Old 11-18-12, 02:16 PM
sdloeffler
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to get the car to default to Sports mode? It seems to default to Normal when you restart the car. Didn't know if there was a way to override that.
Old 11-19-12, 01:53 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryKK
Ben, before you take your nap - let us know how the mpg is in the sport mode and if it's equal or perhaps even better than normal mode.
I will, once I use a tank of gas in Sport Mode. Plenty of time for my nap Jerry!

Last edited by UncleBen; 11-19-12 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 07:07 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

"Am I dreaming or is the ride in fact better in Sport mode? "

To answer your original question - Yes, you probably are dreaming but now I will be wondering myself.

Dave Mac

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I dreaming or is the ride in fact better in Sport mode?