ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

SMS Text-to-Speech with Reply

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 03:43 AM
kc2684
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is that the Lexus software doesn't seem to communicate with iPhone messaging as indicated in the core of this message.
Old 12-09-13, 05:47 AM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by kc2684
The issue is that the Lexus software doesn't seem to communicate with iPhone messaging as indicated in the core of this message.
Yes it does, see my earlier posts. Apple blocks some of the capabilities unlike others.
Old 12-16-13, 03:50 AM
kc2684
Driver School Candidate

Blocking "some of the capabilities" is the same as IT DOESN"T WORK!
Old 12-16-13, 05:24 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

You can thank crApple for that.
Old 12-16-13, 09:24 AM
Snype
Rookie

...how is it Lexus' fault then if Apple blocks it? I'm confused.
Old 12-16-13, 06:20 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Lexus advertises the capability, then it doesn't matter why it doesn't work. Lexus is responsible.

Sine they advertise Siri capability with the 2014 models, you would think the iPhone would perform all the functions Lexus advertises, but apparently this isn't the case.

Other manufacturers are advertising similar phone integration features, and many are having problems. This doesn't let Lexus off the hook. It means they are have questionable marketing strategies.

Lexus is a high end maker. I would think they would be embarrassed to advertise features that work so poorly as the phone SMS and Email.
Old 12-16-13, 06:44 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmccombs
If Lexus advertises the capability, then it doesn't matter why it doesn't work. Lexus is responsible.

Sine they advertise Siri capability with the 2014 models, you would think the iPhone would perform all the functions Lexus advertises, but apparently this isn't the case.

Other manufacturers are advertising similar phone integration features, and many are having problems. This doesn't let Lexus off the hook. It means they are have questionable marketing strategies.

Lexus is a high end maker. I would think they would be embarrassed to advertise features that work so poorly as the phone SMS and Email.

I think you are wrong about Lexus marketing promises. Different vehicles and different smart phones are checked by Lexus for compatibility of individual features. They can't accommodate any and all possible configurations. You need to look up your phone features for your vehicle features. Copy and paste follows:

http://www.lexus.com/bluetooth/

Additional Resources
To view pairing instructions and a list of features compatible with your specific device, use the Lexus Mobile Link
Bluetooth FAQs

*Features vary by device. To view a list of features compatible with your specific device, please use the Lexus Mobile Link.
Old 12-17-13, 09:24 AM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by dmccombs

Let's step back down to reality. Lexus supports the protocols. They can't control whether phone maker A, B, or C does. They advertise rightly that they support SMS and E-Mail, and there are notes / compatibility testing results that it's only supported by some phones. The customer should be competent enough to do their own research and actually learn about their device. Lexus can't fix someone that has no clue, or doesn't take the time to learn about the capabilities of the product they purchased, that's just silly. And in the 14's I've used Siri. Everything that was in the OM worked, so I'm not sure what you saw / have seen that doesn't work?
Old 09-17-14, 12:15 PM
ktziff
Driver School Candidate

Default 2014 ES text reading from HTC Droid

Ever since we've had the 2014 ES 350, my HTC One droid phone has intermittently communicated with the ES to read incoming text messages to me. Emails are not an issue, every single one comes in and gives the option to hear it or ignore it.

Only every so often do I get a text alert and have it read to me through the nav system, etc. Texts arrive on the phone all day long, but do not get pushed to the car system. Has anyone else experienced this? I spoke with the "tech guy" at our local dealership.....he was totally stumped. I don't think he even knew it was capable of pushing texts to the vehicle.

Appreciate any info/suggestions!

Thanks much.

Ken
Old 09-17-14, 03:32 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by gfr1
I think you are wrong about Lexus marketing promises. Different vehicles and different smart phones are checked by Lexus for compatibility of individual features. They can't accommodate any and all possible configurations. You need to look up your phone features for your vehicle features. Copy and paste follows:

http://www.lexus.com/bluetooth/

Additional Resources
To view pairing instructions and a list of features compatible with your specific device, use the Lexus Mobile Link
Bluetooth FAQs

*Features vary by device. To view a list of features compatible with your specific device, please use the Lexus Mobile Link.
A perfect example of this is that there are many brands of smartphones and wireless providers that work flawlessly with the Lexus system that are not listed as being compatible or not listed at all.