ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Drove the Cadillac XTS...my thoughts compared to the ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Drove the Cadillac XTS...my thoughts compared to the ES

I know a few people have made some comments about the XTS competing with the ES, I was in the neighborhood of my friendly local Caddy dealer the other day and stopped by and drove the new XTS, I have some thoughts compared to the ES, and some thoughts about the car in general.

First of all the car is not really comparable to the ES, its larger and more expensive. Its a *really* big car, you have to see it in person to get the full feel for it. Very long rear overhang with a short decklid, almost like a fastback. Very attractive, I think its a great looking car. Very premium feeling, excellent trim and fit and finish.

Love the interior too as well as the technology. Great materials, beautiful wood trim, LCD gauge cluster is very nice and very customizable, nav interface is good while the touch sensitive buttons and all are kind of goofy. Great audio system. Upgrade from the ES inside.

However...I was very disappointed in how it rode. I drove a Platinum trim car with 20" chrome wheels and they rode very hard. Suspension was soft, but impacts were hard and jarring because of the wheels, lots of road noise. I'd be interested to drive one of the lower trims with the 19s and see if they are better.

Equipped similarly to the UL ES its probably $58k or so. A lot of money for a Cadillac. I'd pass.
Old 09-24-12, 06:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

A few weeks ago I looked at the new XTS. I didn't drive it, but sat in one for a while and the sales rep demonstrated some of the electronics and technology. I agree that the interior and tech was impressive but overall the car isn't my cup of tea. And I'm old enough to qualify for a caddy. The car I looked at was just under $60k. For that money, I'd look at a bunch of other cars.

When you look at the stance of the XTS, you can see traces of the LaCrosse which also shares that platform. I'm sure the XTS wll do well for them.
Old 09-25-12, 12:55 PM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have sat in an driven both a A6, XTS and ES twice. Plus I was invited to the test drive on the tour here in Los Angeles in August for the ES. I really like the ES and the price to roominess value for me it is a very nice car. I must admit however the interior of the XTS to me looks so much better than ES or the A6 and more roomy. But the ride is harsh compared to the ES or even my Avalon which tend to float more than the XTS. The XTS has a more sport feel, nimble and quick for a large car but not nimble like a A6. But the ride is hard you do hear the road, I don't know how to quantify driving that car. It sort of fells like the E350 Benz I test drove. I priced out the luxury model with Ultra View roof, navigation and driver awareness package. My supplies discount price was @$50.2k +ttl. I also must admit the wife loves that car and she is really pushing it over the ES or A6.
I keep trying to focusing her on the numbers. I've got a firm quote for the ES with roof navigation DWA for $41 vs $50k for the XTS or $49k for a A6. I will purchasing one or the other last day of this month for the best possible deal. Got CU approval for either amount so we will see who wins me or her .
Old 09-25-12, 01:27 PM
larrytstar
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

longslim - you remind me of my situation. In 2008 I was torn between the new CTS and a Lexus ES. In the end the CTS won because I liked the exterior styling so much more than the ES. I have always regretted that choice. I was seduced by the CTS styling but soon realized that I didn't buy the smooth, quiet luxury sedan I wanted. A new ES will be in my garage sometime this year. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-25-12, 08:33 PM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by larrytstar
longslim - you remind me of my situation. In 2008 I was torn between the new CTS and a Lexus ES. In the end the CTS won because I liked the exterior styling so much more than the ES. I have always regretted that choice. I was seduced by the CTS styling but soon realized that I didn't buy the smooth, quiet luxury sedan I wanted. A new ES will be in my garage sometime this year. Good luck with your decision.
What other then the ride was disappointing on the CTS? I look at one but it was a little small. I'm a big guy and I need my space. In a perfect world I'd love a CLS 500 but don't want another house note.
Old 09-26-12, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by longslim
, I don't know how to quantify driving that car. It sort of fells like the E350 Benz I test drove.
Yeah thats a good comparison, it does drive similarly to the E class Mercedes.
Old 09-26-12, 07:19 AM
larrytstar
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The CTS is, of course, a very nice car - and advertises itself as what it is, a sport sedan, not a luxury sedan. I wished after awhile that I had made the other choice (the ES). My other disappointments with the car include the seat comfort and the reliability of the vehicle. I find the seat hard and resting places for my knee and foot less than ideal. The car has also required many repairs, both major and minor, covered under warranty, but annoying nevertheless.

But this forum isn't about Cadillacs. Can't wait to test drive the new ES. From reports here on this forum, it's an awesome ride.
Old 09-26-12, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see anything wrong with discussing the various vehicles that the ES competes with.

I always wanted to like the CTS, I have a colleague that traded his ES330 in on a CTS. To me though the CTS is too small...people say its similar in size to a 5 series...but I don't see that...
Old 09-26-12, 07:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the A6 but not the cost of $60K with the Prestige Pkg and options I'd want.
Old 09-26-12, 10:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I love the A6 but not the cost of $60K with the Prestige Pkg and options I'd want.
I like the A6 too and agree that the price is a little steep.

I'll probably consider an A4 or Q5 for my next car among a couple of other models.
Old 09-26-12, 06:52 PM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I like the A6 too and agree that the price is a little steep.

I'll probably consider an A4 or Q5 for my next car among a couple of other models.
You can get an A6 3.0 loaded nicely for $53k here in LA. Even look at a 2012 load $49k. But the ES 350 is bigger and cheaper for less money a 2013 ES is a bargin. Well anyway Saturday is the big day I've narrow it to the ES UL or the XTS or my wife has to be truthful.
Old 09-26-12, 06:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

You can get an A6 3.0 loaded nicely for $53k here in LA. Even look at a 2012 load $49k. But the ES 350 is bigger and cheaper for less money a 2013 ES is a bargin. Well anyway Saturday is the big day I've narrow it to the ES UL or the XTS or my wife has to be truthful.
What do you think you'll end up getting?
Old 09-27-12, 05:19 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

I looked at competing models prior to purchasing the ES (MB, Audi, Cadillac, Acura, BMW), in the same price range, give or take $5K; and the Lexus was the best value, Acura came close second. The deciding criteria for me, in order of importance, were reliability, ride comfort (quietness), price and handling. I was looking for a nice, comfortable, afordable, luxury sedan, that can also be fun to drive. The ES 350 met all my expectations, and then some. Of course there are nicer cars ... but at <$45K, the ES 350 is a winner! There are also better so called "driver's cars" ... but style wise, most of them suck, except perhaps for the Cadillacs.

Oh, did I tell you that I like my ES 350? :-)
Old 09-27-12, 05:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This would be the A6 I would want.
About $62K discounted.

True Market Value® Pricing

Description
Invoice
MSRP
True Market Value®

Base Price
$46,872
$50,400
$48,152

19" Sport Package
$1,397
$1,500
$1,427

Cold Weather Package
$419
$450
$428

Innovation Package
$5,255
$5,650
$5,372

Prestige Package
$6,091
$6,550
$6,227

Destination Fee
$895
$895
$895

Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code:

($237)

Color Adjustment

$0

Total Price
$60,929
$65,445
$62,264
Old 09-27-12, 05:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UncleBen
I looked at competing models prior to purchasing the ES (MB, Audi, Cadillac, Acura, BMW), in the same price range, give or take $5K; and the Lexus was the best value, Acura came close second. The deciding criteria for me, in order of importance, were reliability, ride comfort (quietness), price and handling. I was looking for a nice, comfortable, afordable, luxury sedan, that can also be fun to drive. The ES 350 met all my expectations, and then some. Of course there are nicer cars ... but at <$45K, the ES 350 is a winner! There are also better so called "driver's cars" ... but style wise, most of them suck, except perhaps for the Cadillacs.

Oh, did I tell you that I like my ES 350? :-)
I did the same thing when I was looking to trade in my 2007 ES350. I shopped all the usual cars as well as some that don't compete directly with the ES. Long story short I ended up getting a 2010 ES350 for many of the same reason you mentioned.

After two ES in a row I think I'm ready for something different. I'm not sure what, but I've just begun looking at some alternatives.

Quick Reply: Drove the Cadillac XTS...my thoughts compared to the ES