ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pricing Thread - Deals you are getting?

Old 05-20-14, 10:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
You can take 13% off the entire MSRP, that is what they can sell if for now with the current Lexus incentives. Your tradein is another factor in the deal, figure out what it is worth and now you know the numbers. Remember if they start adding ad dons to the deal everything changes. Good luck.
If he lives in Michigan, he isn't likely to get anywhere near that 13%. Typical pricing varies greatly from one region to another. In places like California, Texas, Florida, and the East Coast discounting is significantly greater than it is in the interior of the country. That has been the case for years, and I don't see that changing at any point in the near future. If you look at the posts in this thread, you will find that the people getting pricing near or even below invoice are people in California, Texas, Florida, and the East Coast, and the people complaining about not being able to get a "great deal" are people in the interior of the country.
Old 05-20-14, 10:53 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If he lives in Michigan, he isn't likely to get anywhere near that 13%. Typical pricing varies greatly from one region to another. In places like California, Texas, Florida, and the East Coast discounting is significantly greater than it is in the interior of the country. That has been the case for years, and I don't see that changing at any point in the near future. If you look at the posts in this thread, you will find that the people getting pricing near or even below invoice are people in California, Texas, Florida, and the East Coast, and the people complaining about not being able to get a "great deal" are people in the interior of the country.
So take a drive from Michigan to a dealer on the coast. Should be able to get the deal done over the Internet and then just drive to the deal and enjoy the vacation. I'd drive 12 hours to save a couple of thousand dollars only way to get the local dealer to change is to set up your deal and let the local dealer in Michigan know they are losing the business.
Old 05-20-14, 02:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

So take a drive from Michigan to a dealer on the coast. Should be able to get the deal done over the Internet and then just drive to the deal and enjoy the vacation. I'd drive 12 hours to save a couple of thousand dollars .
That might sound, at first glance, like a good idea, but, when you look at the full picture, how it looks changes dramatically.

If I were to make a trip from the Midwest to California to buy a new Lexus, first, it would mean having to give up 4 or 5 days of time. (note that your estimate of 12 hours driving time from Michigan to California is a minimum of 8 hours short of reality.) That might mean time off of work (and lost wages) or loss of my free time, which, to me, is more important than would be lost wages. That alone, for me, would be deal breaker. I learned a long time ago that one of the most important things that I possess is my time. Then, I would have to take into account that somewhere around $500 of my "savings" would be lost in what I paid for gas to get to and from California. Further, the first 2000 miles of wear and tear on my new Lexus would be spent on my return trip to the Midwest. And, when I got to California, I would sadly discover that, because they sell new cars in that market for less than in my home market and because vehicle depreciation starts from the selling price, not the MSRP, those cars, in essence, start out with a couple of thousand dollars of extra immediate depreciation, and, thus, I would find out that my trade-in is worth $1500 less there than it would have been in my home market. Of course, I could have done a private sale of my old car in my home market, but, not only would that mean an extra hassle for me, but it would also mean losing the $2400 sales tax credit that I could have gotten had I traded in my vehicle, and, I would also have to plan to spend money for airfare or some other means of getting to California. Then, I would also likely learn that, even in California, when the dealers are discounting the vehicles by 12% or 13%, that is because they they are making their profit on some other part of the deal, such as finance terms, lease terms, or dealer installed options, and, thus, with my intention to do a straight cash purchase, I find that the discount offered to me falls somewhat short of 12% or 13%.

All things considered, I would end up spending a lot of extra time and effort to save very little, if any, money, and I would have been reminded that, like with most things, there is no free lunch.

only way to get the local dealer to change is to set up your deal and let the local dealer in Michigan know they are losing the business.
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. If you read through this thread, you will find posts where people are saying that even dealers in Arizona are not willing to match the prices of dealers in California. Different markets are different markets, and what happens with prices in one market has very little effect on what is going on in market 2000 miles away.
Old 05-20-14, 04:47 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

That might sound, at first glance, like a good idea, but, when you look at the full picture, how it looks changes dramatically.

If I were to make a trip from the Midwest to California to buy a new Lexus, first, it would mean having to give up 4 or 5 days of time. (note that your estimate of 12 hours driving time from Michigan to California is a minimum of 8 hours short of reality.) That might mean time off of work (and lost wages) or loss of my free time, which, to me, is more important than would be lost wages. That alone, for me, would be deal breaker. I learned a long time ago that one of the most important things that I possess is my time. Then, I would have to take into account that somewhere around $500 of my "savings" would be lost in what I paid for gas to get to and from California. Further, the first 2000 miles of wear and tear on my new Lexus would be spent on my return trip to the Midwest. And, when I got to California, I would sadly discover that, because they sell new cars in that market for less than in my home market and because vehicle depreciation starts from the selling price, not the MSRP, those cars, in essence, start out with a couple of thousand dollars of extra immediate depreciation, and, thus, I would find out that my trade-in is worth $1500 less there than it would have been in my home market. Of course, I could have done a private sale of my old car in my home market, but, not only would that mean an extra hassle for me, but it would also mean losing the $2400 sales tax credit that I could have gotten had I traded in my vehicle, and, I would also have to plan to spend money for airfare or some other means of getting to California. Then, I would also likely learn that, even in California, when the dealers are discounting the vehicles by 12% or 13%, that is because they they are making their profit on some other part of the deal, such as finance terms, lease terms, or dealer installed options, and, thus, with my intention to do a straight cash purchase, I find that the discount offered to me falls somewhat short of 12% or 13%.

All things considered, I would end up spending a lot of extra time and effort to save very little, if any, money, and I would have been reminded that, like with most things, there is no free lunch.

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. If you read through this thread, you will find posts where people are saying that even dealers in Arizona are not willing to match the prices of dealers in California. Different markets are different markets, and what happens with prices in one market has very little effect on what is going on in market 2000 miles away.
WOW based on your buzz kill analysis it must really really suck to live in the Mid west. . In Missouri if you buy a new car with in so many days of selling your car you get the tax credit, buyers need to do some research based on their state. I've heard about people in the mid west vacationing in places like California and Las Vegas. If you live in Mid west Texas might even be closer for a fun vacation. Just throwing out ideas that might help other potential buyers. You seem a little half empty glass versus half full. Use your skills to figure out ways fellow members can win versus lose.
Old 05-20-14, 05:07 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

WOW based on your buzz kill analysis it must really really suck to live in the Mid west. . In Missouri if you buy a new car with in so many days of selling your car you get the tax credit, buyers need to do some research based on their state. I've heard about people in the mid west vacationing in places like California and Las Vegas. If you live in Mid west Texas might even be closer for a fun vacation. Just throwing out ideas that might help other potential buyers. You seem a little half empty glass versus half full. Use your skills to figure out ways fellow members can win versus lose.
If I were otherwise planning to be in California and if the timing of that trip coincided with when I was planning to buy a new vehicle, I'd certainly, at least, investigate the possibility of buying the vehicle there, but it just doesn't make sense, all things considered, to travel great distances to buy a car, especially when the net difference in price is likely to amount to pennies per day over the period of vehicle ownership.

Actually, I think that the real buzz kill is one that results from the many people who want to boost their egos by posting how much of a discount they got off of MSRP with disclosing what their trade in was and what they got for it, without telling finance or lease terms, without telling whether they bought a high mark-up and over-priced extended warranty, or without telling whether they were sold high mark-up dealer installed options. The result of those kinds of posts is that they can give people unrealistic expectations of what kinds of deals they should be able to get. Not only does that become the real buzz kill, but it leads to people, like some who have posted here, wondering why they can't get the same alleged "deals" when, in fact, they may well, all things taken into consideration, be getting very good deals offered to them.
Old 05-20-14, 06:59 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

If I were otherwise planning to be in California and if the timing of that trip coincided with when I was planning to buy a new vehicle, I'd certainly, at least, investigate the possibility of buying the vehicle there, but it just doesn't make sense, all things considered, to travel great distances to buy a car, especially when the net difference in price is likely to amount to pennies per day over the period of vehicle ownership.

Actually, I think that the real buzz kill is one that results from the many people who want to boost their egos by posting how much of a discount they got off of MSRP with disclosing what their trade in was and what they got for it, without telling finance or lease terms, without telling whether they bought a high mark-up and over-priced extended warranty, or without telling whether they were sold high mark-up dealer installed options. The result of those kinds of posts is that they can give people unrealistic expectations of what kinds of deals they should be able to get. Not only does that become the real buzz kill, but it leads to people, like some who have posted here, wondering why they can't get the same alleged "deals" when, in fact, they may well, all things taken into consideration, be getting very good deals offered to them.
Mine was none of these, paid cash got close to 13% off MSRP. I doubt members would do this to other members.
Old 05-21-14, 02:59 PM
mrbrown188
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus ES350

Just got a 2014 Lexus ES350 Luxury Package/ with Nav.

MSRP $44,907 Got it for $38,995 plus Tax,Lic. Also got them to give me free car washes for life of owning car, and one extra maintenance.

Very happy with the deal.

Cheer,
Old 05-22-14, 05:59 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbrown188
Just got a 2014 Lexus ES350 Luxury Package/ with Nav.

MSRP $44,907 Got it for $38,995 plus Tax,Lic. Also got them to give me free car washes for life of owning car, and one extra maintenance.

Very happy with the deal.

Cheer,
That's a great deal !
Old 05-22-14, 06:32 AM
Crossfit04
Driver School Candidate

If anyone is looking for ES350 and want a crazy Deal inbox Me, I dealt with by far the best salesman In north Miami for a IS250 and a IS350.

I referred two of my buddy's one from North Carolina and another in jersey and he hooked them up. LMK, Keep posting your deals I've learned so much on this forum. Best of luck guys.
Old 06-10-14, 11:57 PM
Angelli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Crossfit04
If anyone is looking for ES350 and want a crazy Deal inbox Me, I dealt with by far the best salesman In north Miami for a IS250 and a IS350.

I referred two of my buddy's one from North Carolina and another in jersey and he hooked them up. LMK, Keep posting your deals I've learned so much on this forum. Best of luck guys.

Would he be able to do a quote and I can get the car in California?
Old 06-25-14, 09:06 AM
pmpham
Driver School Candidate

Living in Massachusetts. Got a new 2014 ES 350 that was MSRP for 39960 towards the end of March.

Had to do some major haggling with the salesman and manager and in the end, got it for 34500 + TTL. Couldn't get any other deals to go with it. Though we tried to ask for weather mats and 18" tires.
Old 06-26-14, 04:53 PM
Flyer100
Driver School Candidate

Default question

I am a novice at negotiating car purchases. When negotiating, is the Destination Charge always over and above the MSRP? In reading this thread, I see references to MSRP plus TTL. However, I do not see any references to how Destination Charges fit in when negotiating.

Thank you.
Old 06-26-14, 04:57 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Flyer100
I am a novice at negotiating car purchases. When negotiating, is the Destination Charge always over and above the MSRP? In reading this thread, I see references to MSRP plus TTL. However, I do not see any references to how Destination Charges fit in when negotiating.

Thank you.
It's part of the MSRP
Old 06-30-14, 05:11 AM
Crossfit04
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Angelli
Would he be able to do a quote and I can get the car in California?
Yes he can, inbox me
Old 07-05-14, 08:11 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought an ES 350 in mid November 2013, in California.

I was deciding between an Acura TL; Infiniti G37X, or Lexus ES 350.

I started with the Acura dealer, because they opened at 9am, while Lexus not until 11am.

I then found out that the TL Special Edition doesn't come with navigation. The only way to get navigation was to get the TL regular with navigation. I didn't like the look of the TL regular as much, I liked both the interior and exterior of the Special Edition a lot more. And when it came down to negotiations, it ended up being more than I thought, almost as much as what I thought a Lexus would. So I said I'd think about it and went to the Lexus dealer next door.

At the Lexus dealer, I found out the only way to get the Mark Levinson audio package was to get a car that had every single other package in it too. When comparing the ES 350 with navigation vs the super premium everything ES 350, it would have been a $7000 difference at starting point. That was too much.

Once inside the ES350, I liked it enough and decided I didn't want to see the Infinit G37x, whose dealer would have been 20-30 miles away. I definitely liked it more than the Acura TL SE and regular edition.

They had a 2013 model with 46 miles on it.

Blind Spot Monitor; navigation; Premium Package with memory seats and mirrors; wood and leather trim; trunk mat and cargo net.

MSRP was $42,973.

The final negotiations were that they'd take $2000 off, so it started at $40, 973.

I took the pre-paid maintenance, but cancelled it about a month later, thinking I wasn't going to use the car as much during the 48 months / 50K miles to spend $1975 on service. I got a full refund on the pre-paid maintenance.

So minus the pre-paid maintenance, the out-the-door price was $45, 153.

Also, I had wanted to try Costco's fixed pricing, but the website was giving me errors the day before. And I wasn't sure at that time which car I wanted, as I was considering 2 other make/manufacturers.

But, I later found out I could have mentioned the Costco fixed pricing to the dealer, and they could have set it up. I'm not sure how much better that could have been. I'll try this option out next time and see.

If anyone has used it for this same year/make/model, how was it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pricing Thread - Deals you are getting?