ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 03:25 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

Last edited by ICnothing; 04-08-13 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 03:47 PM
08WhiteIS
Driver School Candidate

I am thinking about changing out my stock navigation to an after market navigation system. Has anyone ever done this and would i be needing to mod anything just to fit perfectly in my vehicle? My friend actually shaved down the teeth part to try to get it to fit but it still left a 2cm gap from the unit to the ac.
Old 04-09-13, 05:14 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess you don't care about your warranty on the electrical portion of the dash, not just the nav, eh?
Old 04-09-13, 06:19 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 08WhiteIS
I am thinking about changing out my stock navigation to an after market navigation system.
Edit: You're in the wrong forum. You have an '08 IS.

Last edited by Mike728; 04-09-13 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 08:12 PM
calm
Driver School Candidate

Angry Update and Lemon Law opinion

I would just like to update the group and if there are any attorney's reading this, a read on if this is becoming lemon law worthy.

My update is that my dealer has communicated to me that Toyota/Lexus has not issued any remediation for my distortion issue and that they are unable to address or solve my issue. I am now passing the 4 month mark with this distortion issue.

If google is to be believed, in my state, "The State Lemon Law is triggered when the vehicle been in the shop for four (4) times or more for the same symptom (what you experienced) or for thirty (30) calendar days or more for repairs."

Would this issue actually qualify for Lemon Law protection?

Originally Posted by calm
Like others in this ES300h forum thread, I too have a audio distortion with the ML premium feature.

It sounds like the cross-over/amplifier is sending more than lower frequencies to the sub-woofer.

I can recreate the distortion on demand using a audio reference CD Bass 305 which I acquired when a audio retailer went out of business.

While parked, on a source with +/-0 Tre +/-0 Mid, +/- 0 Bass at >40 audio loudness, with ASL and DSP Enabled audio distortion occurs.

While drinving at highway speeds, with the same settings, bass audio distortion is present at >37 audio loudness. I imagine ASL to be the cause for the delta.

Disabling DSP seems to also alleviate the issue by 2-3 audio loudness ticks.

I have witnessed distortion via CD the most (I imagine the frequency range is better with this source), but FM/Sat and Pandora can also be distorted sources.

I have taken the vehicle back three times for this issue; I got the vehicle Dec 10th, 2012.

The first I wasn't prepared right, I let the service writer go to easily that it was bad source material.

The second time around Christmas, we tried the material in a different new Lexus with ML, and then in mine. The service writer and tech seemed to "get the issue" this time. They also understood how to recreate the issue on demand. They ordered a new sub. I was told that the replacement would require a half day as they had to remove the back seat to install this.

The third time, after the holidays, I dropped the car off and got a loaner. I was called after lunch that they were told by Lexus not to install the new speaker as it would not address the issue. I was not told much other than Lexus is investigating the issue. The dealer may hear something tomorrow or sometime in the unknown future.

This is my fourth Lexus, seventh Toyota/Lexus. It's the second time I have purchased/leased the premium radio option (the last time it was in a SC300 and by Nakamichi). I am regretting the purchasing decision due to this feature and also this issue. I am embarassed to take co-workers or friends in "the new car" due this issue.

I realise I am jaded as the car is really comfortable and quiet when I drive it. The audio system is what I hear 90% of the time when I am driving and I am not able to enjoy a premium vehicle due to this issue.

Cheers
Old 04-10-13, 05:01 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Hi Calm, I know this is not a safety issue, but it is a concern that Lexus is agnoring and that is a great idea, I am going to take a chance and fill a complaint and see what happens. I think if we all do it more of an impact will happen. I know it is not a safety concern but a defect. It is worth the chance it does not function in a proper manner.

Lexus claims the below statement and they did not deliver. also the link is below

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/features/?i=0&navTo=i0s1

Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System[*] with 15 speakers and 835 watts @ less than 0.1% THD, 20–20,000 Hz[*]
CLOSE
This 15-speaker, 835-watt at less than 0.01% THD, 20-20,000 Hz[*] Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System[*] is powered by a 12-channel digital amplifier and features a DVD/CD player.

This is a link to Lemon Law rules for Indiana http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/in...lemon-law.aspx

Indiana Attorney General's Lemon Law Page

CAS Letter to Attorney General on Lemon Law Rank & Effectiveness>

Qualification: 4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days out of service within the shorter of 18 months or 18,000 miles. Notification/Trigger: Written notice to manufacturer only if manufacturer included this requirement in the warranty. Law specifically applies to leased vehicles.

Last edited by Music4ever; 04-10-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-10-13, 01:58 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

To Sonnie:
Thank you for the updates on your build. Could you do me a favor and measure the resistance on the subwoofer that you got back from the shop? is it a single or dual voice coil sub.

This is what I am thinking. Harman should have a fix for the sub distortion within 6 months or so. Lexus can't allow this to occur on all ES 350 UL cars for the next 5-7 years until they release a new version. in the meantime, I was thinking of doing this;

using a soldering iron, remove the leads to the sub, leave it installed. then buy a quality 8" or 10" sub and a small enclosure. use the leads that were going to the stock sub to connect to this small sealed sub and fold down the center rear seat to give the sub access to the main volume of the car. hopefully this will sound decent. Hopefully like sonnie said, if a sub has a good sensitivity value it should work just fine.

if the amp blows, or there is a fix from Harman, I can simply re-solder the leads back to the stock sub and remove my temp sub.

I understand this is not ideal because the best spot is where the current sub is now, but this would keep everything looking stock and I could avoid a warranty violation.

the amp is powerful, 835 Watts is a ton of power! the sub side of the amp should be able to power a standard 10" with ease, no?
Old 04-10-13, 02:36 PM
txes
Lead Lap

So if you blow it up your solution is to put everything back to normal?

Then what, tell Lexus it's broken?

John
Old 04-10-13, 05:58 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

As long as I match the ohms and get a sensitive sub it shouldn't blow the amp, no way.
Old 04-11-13, 07:42 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Hey Robdog, all to you if you get that done. If the Amp blow who cares. Lexus is in no hurry to fix the issue and maybe if the Amp blows you might get a better one that work..
Old 04-11-13, 07:46 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdog1515
To Sonnie:
Thank you for the updates on your build. Could you do me a favor and measure the resistance on the subwoofer that you got back from the shop? is it a single or dual voice coil sub.
I picked up our ES350 today and the removed sub.

Here is what I have now:

I will try to get some measurements on the factory sub this weekend if I have time.

I will also be happy to send this one to you if you want to experiment with it. We have no use for it. If we sell the car, the stereo will likely go with it.
Old 04-11-13, 07:51 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Dang, Sonny!

That's a rocker for sure.

Clean install.

John
Old 04-11-13, 08:10 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnie
I picked up our ES350 today and the removed sub.
Very clean. Hopefully I will get mine installed next month.
Old 04-12-13, 05:27 AM
Music4ever
Driver

That looks great Sonnie, to bad you had to go that route to get a premium system it must sound great now.
Old 04-12-13, 05:32 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Music4ever
That looks great Sonnie, to bad you had to go that route to get a premium system it must sound great now.
Name one car that comes with a system of anywhere near that caliber.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?