ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 04:34 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It figures!!!

I took my car by the dealership this morning before work so they could check out the distortion in my speaker(s). The service manager and a technician went to my car immediately to see if there was a problem; I waited in the waiting area. A few minutes later the service manager asked me to show the technician the problem. I couldn't replicate the problem. The ML played fine...WTF. Anyway, they agreed to order the part(s) if I heard the distortion again.
Old 01-18-13, 05:03 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate it when that happens. Good luck.
Old 01-19-13, 02:18 AM
Creid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

So I have had my car now for about a week, and I havent seem to notice any distorted bass (I usually keep my bass setting around 3 ticks above the center mark). It seems some of you have had issues with the incorrect sub being installed (premium instead of the ml one). So this is going to sound like a dumb question, but how can I tell which one I have (where exactly is the sub located, and should it say ML on it)?

Ive never dealt much with audio systems in cars, so I don't know alot about this. I would like to check mine just to be sure they installed the correct ML system in mine, and not a premium regular sub.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-19-13, 04:02 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KennyLexus, I had the same experience as you at the dealer, but a song finally came on at some point that caused the distortion. I don't get distortion on all stations or on all songs. Sometimes the bass is up all the way and everything sounds fine. Other times the bass is at 0 or +1 and I get distortion.

I should have time to make my vehicle in next week and get my sub swapped out.

Creid, where did you get your info from?
Old 01-20-13, 06:23 PM
Churmsk
Driver School Candidate

Default ML System A Disappointment

Purchased the 2013 ES300h with the ML system. Absolutely love everthing on the car; however, I have to say that the sound system has been a huge disappointment. Having driven Jaguars and Mercedes in the past, I cannot believe that this is an 835 watt system. I'm the first to admit that I'm not an expert; however, I have to keep the bass 2 notches below the factory setting to prevent distortion. Even my friend's c-class with a 600 watt system sounds amazing....I would have thought the 835 watt system on the Lexus would have at least been as impressive. I often have my friend turn down his radio because it is way too loud and yet on the Lexus I have it at the 50 setting and it is just alright.....anyways, probably not much I can do about that.....

Is it a rumour that the wrong speaker(s) or sub-woofer have been installed in the vehicles with ML system?

Overall, love the car.
Old 01-20-13, 08:10 PM
calm
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation ML System Bass Distortion

Like others in this ES300h forum thread, I too have a audio distortion with the ML premium feature.

It sounds like the cross-over/amplifier is sending more than lower frequencies to the sub-woofer.

I can recreate the distortion on demand using a audio reference CD Bass 305 which I acquired when a audio retailer went out of business.

While parked, on a source with +/-0 Tre +/-0 Mid, +/- 0 Bass at >40 audio loudness, with ASL and DSP Enabled audio distortion occurs.

While drinving at highway speeds, with the same settings, bass audio distortion is present at >37 audio loudness. I imagine ASL to be the cause for the delta.

Disabling DSP seems to also alleviate the issue by 2-3 audio loudness ticks.

I have witnessed distortion via CD the most (I imagine the frequency range is better with this source), but FM/Sat and Pandora can also be distorted sources.

I have taken the vehicle back three times for this issue; I got the vehicle Dec 10th, 2012.

The first I wasn't prepared right, I let the service writer go to easily that it was bad source material.

The second time around Christmas, we tried the material in a different new Lexus with ML, and then in mine. The service writer and tech seemed to "get the issue" this time. They also understood how to recreate the issue on demand. They ordered a new sub. I was told that the replacement would require a half day as they had to remove the back seat to install this.

The third time, after the holidays, I dropped the car off and got a loaner. I was called after lunch that they were told by Lexus not to install the new speaker as it would not address the issue. I was not told much other than Lexus is investigating the issue. The dealer may hear something tomorrow or sometime in the unknown future.

This is my fourth Lexus, seventh Toyota/Lexus. It's the second time I have purchased/leased the premium radio option (the last time it was in a SC300 and by Nakamichi). I am regretting the purchasing decision due to this feature and also this issue. I am embarassed to take co-workers or friends in "the new car" due this issue.

I realise I am jaded as the car is really comfortable and quiet when I drive it. The audio system is what I hear 90% of the time when I am driving and I am not able to enjoy a premium vehicle due to this issue.

Cheers

Last edited by calm; 01-20-13 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-29-13, 11:28 AM
Briano7
Driver School Candidate

Having expected to be wowed by the ML I am definitely not impressed. I think the JBL in my 2007 Camry sounded better. I’m not impressed at all.
Old 01-29-13, 04:33 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by calm

Disabling DSP seems to also alleviate the issue by 2-3 audio loudness ticks.
I disabled the automatic sound leveler on my non ml es and it sounds a whole lot cleaner.
Old 02-08-13, 11:56 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Default Distortion in ML sub on 2013 ES350

Originally Posted by aircraftmx
Took my car, 2013 ES350, into the dealer around 8:00am today and had it back by 10:30am. Excellent news- the second subwoofer replacement fixed the distorted bass issue. I am very happy and only wish the dealer had ordered the Mark Levinson sub instead of the premium sub the first time. The sound is terrific!!! I can turn up the volume as high as I want with no problems. Tight clean bass!!!!!
Please explain how I determin if the current sub installed in my 13' is the same sub you had on your previously install? I am about to purchase this 2013 es350, heading down to the dealer on Sunday. I listened to an ultra premium package at another dealer and I heard the exact same distortion. Hoe depressing is that?!! So before I head into a second car demo I want to know ahead of time what to ask the dealer to replace or check.

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 02-11-13, 11:53 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Update!
I spoke to the main service tech for ML in my area. He said that the reason the ML subs are distorted and end up blowing is not due to the speaker, instead it's the digital presets in the head unit or the pre amp. Anyways there is too much gain going to the subwoofer amplifier as a result the sub distorts after a volume of 40+ on bass heavy songs. Today is feb 11th 2013, the tech said in the next two or three weeks ML will be supplying amps to Lexus with a new set op parameters which will correct this problem and stop blowing subs. Contact your dealership and explain the problem and resolution, ask for the amplifier part number and have it flagged for repair. As soon as the dealership is told there is a fix they will call you in to have the amplifier replaced with the new gain levels.

I have been told this is a sure fix, the sub should perform as expected.
Old 02-20-13, 01:26 PM
calm
Driver School Candidate

My dealer has not heard of this. Is there a tecnician note or bulletin that can be referred to?
Old 02-20-13, 03:46 PM
DennyB
Driver School Candidate

How would one go about searching for a used ES 350 with a ML system? I can search all day long for an ES 350, but they all seem to have premium panasonic sound systems.
Old 02-25-13, 04:34 AM
aircraftmx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElliotB
aircraftmx, are you getting distortion free bass, and if so, what level do you have the bass on and what maximum volume?
ElliotB, sorry I haven't been on this site in a while. To answer your question, ever since the dealer installed the correct ML subwoofer the sound system has no distortion. I am extremely happy with it. I leave the bass at +1 the mids at +3 and the highs on +4. I can turn up the volume easily into the high 50's and it stays tight and clean. The problem in my car was not in the head unit or the gain adjustment. It was just the wrong subwoofer installed at the factory. The dealer tried unsuccessfully to convince me there was nothing wrong with the system and said that "this one has more power than your last ML system." When the dealer did replace it the first time the distortion was still there. I wouldn't give in knowing I would have to listen to that horrible distortion for the next three years. Then they realized they ordered and installed a non ML sub. The correct ML sub was the fix and not turning down the gain in the head unit to accomodate the standard subwoofer.
Old 02-25-13, 07:29 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

To Calm.
I looked up the ML service number and spoke to someone in the car audio dept. the person I spoke to was well aware of the issue in the 2013 es350 and he told me it was a gain issue. I am extremely happy for aircraftMX and I took his story to my dealer as well with the same feedback aircraftmx got at first. The ML service manager I spoke to at Harman sounded very convincing. Calm, the. Reason your dealer doesn't know anything about the ML amp is because the memo has not been sent out yet, I don't know how the process works exactly but the manufacturer sends the update to Lexus and then they notify all the dealers. I was told it would take 3-4 weeks ands its only been two so far. If the amp doesn't fix the problem I will be going down the road aircraftmx went with multiple speaker swap outs till I get lucky.
Old 02-25-13, 08:27 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I leave the bass at +1 ... can turn up the volume easily into the high 50's and it stays tight and clean"

I get the same result. But when you turn the bass up, and the song has a lot of deep bass, the results are not quite the same.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?