Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 08:37 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by photoguy
Neither system has powerful bass.
That's true if you're a thump junkie. However, the ML can deliver the goods (read: balanced low-end sound) at adequate listening levels if it's tuned correctly.

Surround sound doesn't help most music. You may be thinking, but it has to help immerse you in the sound right? Seems like it would but it doesn't unless it's a movie.
Have to disagree with you there. While stereo imaging in a car is generally inferior to the sound stage that can be produced by a good home system, discrete 5.1 reproduction of a properly mixed and mastered multichannel recording really enhances virtually any musical performance. The sense of space my ML renders from discrete 5.1 recordings can't be matched by the stereo mixes.

My opinion is if you are not an audiophile both systems will be great.
My wife is a truly casual listener -- she prefers her music as background, and never plays music at realistic (loud) levels -- and she remarked that the ML was noticeably better than the stock system back when we were shopping the car.
Old 09-07-12, 08:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsobi
That's true if you're a thump junkie. However, the ML can deliver the goods (read: balanced low-end sound) at adequate listening levels if it's tuned correctly.

Have to disagree with you there. While stereo imaging in a car is generally inferior to the sound stage that can be produced by a good home system, discrete 5.1 reproduction of a properly mixed and mastered multichannel recording really enhances virtually any musical performance. The sense of space my ML renders from discrete 5.1 recordings can't be matched by the stereo mixes.

My wife is a truly casual listener -- she prefers her music as background, and never plays music at realistic (loud) levels -- and she remarked that the ML was noticeably better than the stock system back when we were shopping the car.

Listen to a S 550 or A8 with Bang & Olufsen.That system blows away the ML.The ML in an LS460 is close.
I find the center channel in ML systems to be too loud.Especially in the GS I owned.
There's no adjustment for center channel volume.
I agree staying in surround mode does produce better sound over non surround mode.
Using a DVD-Audio digital format makes the system sound great.
Old 09-07-12, 10:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$4K for the NAV/ML pkg.
Problem was the only way to get ML was to get a UL ES which was about $4k more, mine's got nav but its not a UL. They also had lower residuals for the UL model.
Old 09-07-12, 11:53 AM
CurryPot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Problem was the only way to get ML was to get a UL ES which was about $4k more, mine's got nav but its not a UL. They also had lower residuals for the UL model.
Indeed. In the NW, there are three packages for ES300h. The UL package does not have HID. $50k and no HID? I went for the middle package with HID.
Old 09-07-12, 04:30 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Every time I see the topic for this thread it makes my day...
Old 09-07-12, 06:21 PM
RTSM
Driver

For those who have the ML system and an ipod touch, buy the BBE pro audio app. This app really brought the surrond speakers out and alive. Before I could barely hear them, with this app increasing the expasion control made the surround speakers 5x louder and minimized the center channel. This is the only audio app that I used that actually improved the spatial aspect of the system without causing added distorion. I agree with the bass output, I installed a sub and it completed the system, now it is complete and I am completely satisfied.
Check it out....
Old 09-08-12, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Every time I see the topic for this thread it makes my day...
LOL, you and me both.
Old 09-08-12, 05:23 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lease calculations and Mark Levinson...

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Not so fortunate that my 2010 has the ML Mine has the standard audio but I've heard the ML...its much better. Wasn't worth another $4k, $120 a month on my lease though.
When attempting to adjust a lease payment on a 36 month contract the standard ratio of $30 per thousand of capitalized cost reduction is often used. When the MSRP increases however so does the residual value so the increase in capitalized cost is not as great and the payment in your example would probably change about $60.

The improvement of Mark Levinson audio can vary from model to model. Originally Mark Levinson designed the systems himself and it was a win-win for Lexus and Mark. He eventually sold his company to Harmon and left the building so to speak. The relationship continued and the brand is synonymous with Lexus now. Madrigal Labs is another high end audio division at Harmon.

I always liked the Mark Levinson upgrade in the ES but in our region you found it equipped only with Ultra Luxury package.

The new ES is a fresh design so I will need to spend more time listening to the audio system inorder to give it a fair review. By the way the head honcho of the new ES design team is Toshio Asahi. He previously worked on the LS designs. This fact explains the DNA of luxury that is evident in this iteration. You need to start with a quiet environment to showcase a reference audio system and Asahisan has certainly provided that.

Domo arrigato....

Rock
Old 09-09-12, 12:00 PM
kesando
Rookie

After spending some time in the ES300h with ML system I have to say that I agree with the lack of bass comments however it depends on the type of music played and at what volume levels. The sub in the ES just seems a bit to eager to distort at certain times and this is with the bass control level adjusted about 3 bars below the mid level. That said, the ML system is still a huge improvment over the standard audio with superior, imaging, clarity and detail and is a pleasure to listen to at moderate levels.
Old 09-09-12, 02:11 PM
kesando
Rookie

Originally Posted by RTSM
For those who have the ML system and an ipod touch, buy the BBE pro audio app. This app really brought the surrond speakers out and alive. Before I could barely hear them, with this app increasing the expasion control made the surround speakers 5x louder and minimized the center channel. This is the only audio app that I used that actually improved the spatial aspect of the system without causing added distorion. I agree with the bass output, I installed a sub and it completed the system, now it is complete and I am completely satisfied.
Check it out....
I picked up an Infinity basslink for my brother's non-Bose equipped G35 sedan and it made a huge improvement in the overall sound quality. I think it would work wonders when added to the ES ML system

Last edited by kesando; 09-09-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 12:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rockville
When attempting to adjust a lease payment on a 36 month contract the standard ratio of $30 per thousand of capitalized cost reduction is often used. When the MSRP increases however so does the residual value so the increase in capitalized cost is not as great and the payment in your example would probably change about $60.
Doesn't take into account the fact that when I leased my 2010 the UL package had a lower residual, so you had the increased cost based on the higher capitalized cost, and then the increased cost because of the residual being lower.

I was there...I ran the numbers myself, the difference was over $100 a month.
Old 09-26-12, 10:53 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

I think that the ML audio is superb. It may not be the best ... but it sure does the job for me.
Old 09-30-12, 11:49 PM
aircraftmx
Driver School Candidate

Default Bad sub

Going back to dealer for second sub replacement on my 4 week old 2013 UL ES350. On the day I drove off the lot within 20min I decided to try out the sound system. What a disappointment. The Mark Levinson bass was garbage like in my 2007 UL ES350. My 2010 UL ES350 was awesome- no issues at all with the bass and it was also a Mark Levinson. I assumed that they figured out what the problem was and never expected to hear a distorted, rattling sub woofer again in a Lexus vehicle. I was wrong. WTF Lexus? The dealer said he ordered and installed a premium sub and not the ML sub so I go back Friday to have my brand new car torn apart to replace it again. I hope that will fix it- I even asked if they would swap out the rear deck components with the 2010 UL ES350 I just turned in. They said the parts were not the same. Other than the sound system this car is even better than I expected. Looks great, rides great and get nothing but compliments. PLEASE FIX THIS ANNOYING SOUND SYSTEM LEXUS!!!
BTW I have competed in IASCA sound shows with my 1990 Pathfinder back in the 90's and have 3 trophies at home so I do have a very good idea of what a great sound system should be.
The following users liked this post:
alan311 (03-28-21)
Old 10-01-12, 03:33 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Originally Posted by aircraftmx
Going back to dealer for second sub replacement on my 4 week old 2013 UL ES350. On the day I drove off the lot within 20min I decided to try out the sound system. What a disappointment. The Mark Levinson bass was garbage like in my 2007 UL ES350. My 2010 UL ES350 was awesome- no issues at all with the bass and it was also a Mark Levinson. I assumed that they figured out what the problem was and never expected to hear a distorted, rattling sub woofer again in a Lexus vehicle. I was wrong. WTF Lexus? The dealer said he ordered and installed a premium sub and not the ML sub so I go back Friday to have my brand new car torn apart to replace it again. I hope that will fix it- I even asked if they would swap out the rear deck components with the 2010 UL ES350 I just turned in. They said the parts were not the same. Other than the sound system this car is even better than I expected. Looks great, rides great and get nothing but compliments. PLEASE FIX THIS ANNOYING SOUND SYSTEM LEXUS!!!
BTW I have competed in IASCA sound shows with my 1990 Pathfinder back in the 90's and have 3 trophies at home so I do have a very good idea of what a great sound system should be.
It must be bad luck, because the ML in mine is excellent.

I must have read every professional review on this car and not a single one of them labels the ML system as garbage. I don't think Lexus has anything to fix ... it's just bad luck and hopefully the next sub replacement will do the job.

Another thing to consider is usage. In my younger days, I blew up subs and expensive speakers more than once. But this was my own fault, nothing wrong with the equipment, just me cranking up the bass and volume way too high.

There are boxes out there, as you very well know from your own experience, that can take the beating - I don't think the ML system in a Lexus was ever meant for that. Is it possible that you crank it up too high?

Any way, good luck. Hope you can get things straightened out.
Old 10-01-12, 06:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleBen
It must be bad luck, because the ML in mine is excellent.

I must have read every professional review on this car and not a single one of them labels the ML system as garbage. I don't think Lexus has anything to fix ... it's just bad luck and hopefully the next sub replacement will do the job.

Another thing to consider is usage. In my younger days, I blew up subs and expensive speakers more than once. But this was my own fault, nothing wrong with the equipment, just me cranking up the bass and volume way too high.

There are boxes out there, as you very well know from your own experience, that can take the beating - I don't think the ML system in a Lexus was ever meant for that. Is it possible that you crank it up too high?

Any way, good luck. Hope you can get things straightened out.
The ML system is good but it sounds better in some Lexus models than others.The ML reviews are done mostly in the flagship LS460 where the ML has the best sound quality.
I owned a '08 GS and found the ML to be very disappointing.It's better in my present ES but not nearly as good as ML in a LS..

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?