ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 03:47 AM
RazSrq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: New amp installed a week ago and you were so right. What a difference!

A sincere thanks to all for sharing the details. It assisted as I described the specifics to the dealer. They did show a known issue described on a sheet that my customer service agent had tucked away. After confirming that my issue was the same problem acknowledged by Lexus, the part was ordered.

I would have loved to see a 5, 7 or 9 band EQ in the ML sytem, but maybe I am being a bit greedy. With 20+ years in the music industry (past life), I am used to having some control in adjusting more bands to change for personal preference. Maybe 2015...
Old 10-19-13, 03:04 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone with a recently built ES been able to confirm that it's come with the upgraded AMP?

I've heard the dismal performance of the originally AMP (almost unlistenable!!!) and the transformed audio experience after the modified AMP is installed. I know dealers appear to be swapping AMPS at customers request, but wonder if the updated AMP has made it too the assembly line. I think the change may have implemented a few months ago, but have no evidence it's made it's way into new vehicles.

My '14 300h with UL, Mark Levinson, NAVI, RES+.....basically everything except pre-crash pkg...is on order and will be here in January. I would love to turn the radio on and hear that the new AMP had been installed.
Old 10-19-13, 06:58 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula271
Has anyone with a recently built ES been able to confirm that it's come with the upgraded AMP?
I hope so, so I can hear the difference without just swapping mine blindly. I think my factory ML sounds amazing for 99% of what I listen to. If the new amp improves the 1% and degrades everything else, I don't want it.
Old 10-19-13, 09:59 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"almost unlistenable!!!"

That is simply not true. The new amp simply boosts the bass to the front speakers and reduces it to the rear sub - the overall sound characteristics of the system have not changed much.

Last edited by ElliotB; 10-19-13 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-19-13, 10:49 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ElliotB
"almost unlistenable!!!"

That is simply not true. The new amp simply boosts the bass to the front speakers and reduce it to the rear sub - the overall sound characteristics of the system have not changed much.
The bass was removed from the subwoofer and placed to the door speakers, ElliotB is dead on. The main thing it sounds much better if you listen to music with heavy bass.
Old 10-24-13, 03:35 PM
DiscoDan
Driver School Candidate

They serviced my car Tuesday and it sound awesome. My only wish, is that it would have been upgraded in December.

Thanks to Social Media.....
Old 10-24-13, 03:44 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Idlefree
The bass was removed from the subwoofer and placed to the door speakers, ElliotB is dead on. The main thing it sounds much better if you listen to music with heavy bass.
do you think you've lost any of the mid and high range, or are there any other negatives? I'm debating taking my car in to get this done, since I have had it distort a few times on songs with heavy bass.
Old 10-25-13, 03:34 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mspearl95
do you think you've lost any of the mid and high range, or are there any other negatives? I'm debating taking my car in to get this done, since I have had it distort a few times on songs with heavy bass.
If you haven't had many issues with distortation and only a few time, I would not change the amp. You do notice the difference with the the mid and high because of the increase of bass to the door speakers. For the amount of bass I listen to, I do not regret getting the new amp. I just wished Lexus had changed the subwoofer instead of the amp. Hope this helps
Old 10-29-13, 04:05 PM
larrytstar
Rookie

I'm interested in the recent posts above. I have the ML system and was planning on asking for the replacement sub because I was getting the impression it was an across the board improvement. Now it sounds like perhaps it's not. In my case, I listen to folk, country, oldies and soft rock. I have not had an issue with distorted base, given my music preference. Should I get it or not? I would hate to lose mid or high frequencies in exchange for base that I will not benefit from. Comments?
Old 10-29-13, 04:26 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

" I would hate to lose mid or high frequencies in exchange for bass"

You do not loose anything - you control the levels with the SOUND settings options just as you do now. If you are not having any issues with the sound, there is not need to update the AMP (the sub is not changed, the amplifier is).

If you are satisfied with the amount of bass you are getting now, don't update.
Old 10-31-13, 05:44 PM
PeterKane
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone, A great big thank you to all of you for bringing this issue to light, not letting up and getting Lexus to do something about it.
I got the new amp installed 2 days ago at my dealership in Toronto Canada and I'm amazed, what a difference it makes, now I don't want to leave my car. Wow, not only did it improve the bass, also the overall sound is more clear and a joy to listen too. I can listen to my music again with nice tight bass.
Thanks again guys, greatly appreciated.
BTW, If anyone in Canada is interested, the part number of the new amp in Canada is #86280-0WA71 as provided by Lexus Canada.
Old 11-01-13, 09:04 PM
DirkDirk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kesando
For those that have heard it in the new '13 ES 350 and 300h, what do you guys think of it? We recently went to go see an ES 300h that had the Luxury Package with Navigation and the standard lexus audio system. While we all agreed that it is a beautiful car, we were a bit underwhelmed by the standard 8 speaker audio system.

How much better is the ML system over the standard and is it worth the upgrade in your opinion?
Wow. I have the ML in a new 2013 es300h. I am very disappointed. I've tried iPod, satellite, CD, HD radio and Bluetooth audio inputs and all share the same compressed sound. Everything sounds mushy and unclear. I brought it back to dealer after a month. They sat me in another new car and asked me to compare audio. It too was really poor sounding. I am dreading driving with this for audio for next 4-6 years. I'm not fussy. My 2003 stock MBZ audio (my trade in) was far superior.
Old 11-01-13, 09:12 PM
DirkDirk
Driver School Candidate

Default disappointed with ML audio

Originally Posted by kesando
For those that have heard it in the new '13 ES 350 and 300h, what do you guys think of it? We recently went to go see an ES 300h that had the Luxury Package with Navigation and the standard lexus audio system. While we all agreed that it is a beautiful car, we were a bit underwhelmed by the standard 8 speaker audio system.

How much better is the ML system over the standard and is it worth the upgrade in your opinion?
I bought a 13 es300h with the Levinson audio. I am very very disappointed with the compressed sound and lack of clarity. I've tried all kinds of audio inputs: CD, Sirius XM, iPod, hd Radio, and none of them sound good. Sounds like a slightly out of tune FM boombox. I've had the dealer check, and confirm that the system is working properly. I don't recommend spending the extra dough for that system.
Old 11-01-13, 09:14 PM
DirkDirk
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 13 es300h with the Levinson audio. I am very very disappointed with the compressed sound and lack of clarity. I've tried all kinds of audio inputs: CD, Sirius XM, iPod, hd Radio, and none of them sound good. Sounds like a slightly out of tune FM boombox. I've had the dealer check, and confirm that the system is working properly. I don't recommend spending the extra dough for that system
Old 11-02-13, 06:10 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

"compressed sound and lack of clarity"

Garbage in - garbage out - your shouldn't blame the lack of quality audio on the lack of a quality sound source - the simple answer is use a better sound source.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?