Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 02:04 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mike728
How am I in the wrong thread? From the OP: For those that have heard it in the new '13 ES 350 and 300h, what do you guys think of it?

I'm sorry for those of you experiencing the issue. I'd be upset, too.
You know what I meant...
Old 05-12-13, 04:28 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Music4ever, my point is simply that even if the sub did not distort, you likely would not be totally satisfied with it -I believe you mentioned that you were not thrilled with the other speakers either.. So once Lexus fixes the sub for real, you will likely have to upgrade the speakers anyway. That money would have been better spent on a speaker upgrade (IMHO).
Old 05-12-13, 04:55 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Music4ever, my point is simply that even if the sub did not distort, you likely would not be totally satisfied with it -I believe you mentioned that you were not thrilled with the other speakers either.. So once Lexus fixes the sub for real, you will likely have to upgrade the speakers anyway. That money would have been better spent on a speaker upgrade (IMHO).
ElliotB, speaker were okay till the new amp was installed. The issue has always been the distortion from the sub. I feel the money I spent on the report was well worth it as I learned a lot as well, and I believe this could Help Maybe everyone with this issue. Thanks for the advise
Old 05-13-13, 06:49 PM
DiscoDan
Driver School Candidate

I am not a pure music person, sometimes on the highway I listen to my music very loud. When I am driving to work, I listen to my music at the same level as all other normal humans. When I pay 4k for a name my expectation is that I can do both extremely well. I enjoy my Lexus ES 300h. If I had a redo, I would purchase the non-Mark car. Just my feelings….. and oh what a feeling it is…….
Old 05-14-13, 07:32 AM
calm
Driver School Candidate

Default That darned manufacturer warranty again. . .

As statements of replacing audio components to remediate this audio distortion issue keep occuring. . .

I have been told by the Lexus service manager at my dealer that if any audio system modifications are made, that the warranty on my vehicle is voided and that additional fees to restore the vehicle back to stock may occur once I turn the vehicle back after the lease ends. I asked to clarify if there are exceptions and was told only genuine Lexus parts installed by a certfied Lexus technician are allowed. This was followed with a statement that my current warranty claim of resolving the distortion would effectively end without resolution by Lexus.

The above occurred because I inquired that the dealer invest this spend to correct the issue. I argured that this defect passed by two different dealers Quality Assurance / Inspection programs (it was a dealer trade vehicle when I ordered).

Advising anyone on this forum to consider a speaker or other audio component replacement that can void the vehicle's manufacturer warranty probably should be avoided or caveated with "for ES 2013 with appropritiate mileage or age or for owners who can afford any and all service claims. . ."

Cheers
Old 05-14-13, 12:23 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you saying that the dealer claims the warranty on the entire vehicle would be voided if a speaker was changed?
Old 05-14-13, 02:10 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Are you saying that the dealer claims the warranty on the entire vehicle would be voided if a speaker was changed?
If a dealer tells you that, just show them this. I don't keep any of my cars stock so I keep it handy
http://www.duramax.bizhosting.com/ma...s-warranty.htm
Old 05-14-13, 03:12 PM
Music4ever
Driver

That is what Lexus has informed me.. Replace non Lexus approved speakers or sub the warranty would be voided so it is not dealership saying this, the manufactor is saying it
Old 05-14-13, 05:12 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Music4ever
That is what Lexus has informed me.. Replace non Lexus approved speakers or sub the warranty would be voided so it is not dealership saying this, the manufactor is saying it
They would have no ground to stand on, but as long as you're buying it...
Old 05-14-13, 09:36 PM
calm
Driver School Candidate

While I never asked the "entire vehicle" question directly; he did interchange the terms "electrical systems" and "audio systems" during the conversation so I can infer those systems from that conversation.

I have had this "void the warranty" warning before when I wanted a directly wired radar detector installed in new vehicles. So I used the Lexus certified technician to perform the work in this ES. I have heard the same warning from Honda and Cadillac on the same "radar" topic.

I had challenged this issue several years ago and was informed by my state's AG office that the manufacturer is compliant with the Magnusson-Moss Act thus dismissing my claim of the manufacturer bundling product, services, and warranty together in ways detrimental to the consumer. This same Act is what protects us (the consumer) so that we can utilize third party items in desktop computers. I still feel this should apply to my vehicle as certain systems are exempt (fuel, lubrication, tires, etc); but I do not feel strongly enough about it to finance a complaint.

Bottom line: If a forum user suffering from this defect wants to retain the vehicle's manufacturer warranty, other users should not be suggesting they gamble with their vehicle's manufacturer warranty.

Last edited by calm; 05-14-13 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-15-13, 06:38 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

I'm not involved with the ML radio problems but have been reading this post from the start. I did consider buying the system initially but deferred. My advice to those owners seeking recompense or substitutions from Lexus for their defective systems is this: Don't mess with the system. IMO Lexus - and all other car manufacturers - will use any issue available - justified or not - to deny warranty coverage. This has become apparent within this thread. Sometimes one just has to "suck it up" and go forward.
Old 05-15-13, 09:04 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdog1515
@ 08WhiteIS: look in your glov box. there is a booklet for lemon law. find your state and you will find your answer.

@ everyone!!!! GOOD NEWS!!!

I got a call from Mark Levinson today. Thank god! Here is the update.

on Thursday and Friday of last week everyone involved with the issue at Harman (ML) was on a conference call with Lexus Corporate in Torrance CA and Lexus corporate in Japan. Lexus told Harman, "we are going to manufacture this car for another 4 years, we cannot have this distortion. Find a way to fix it."

Today, Harman has a 2013 ES350 ultra luxury in their shop. the engineers have re-created the distortion with the new amp. The engineers will be working to resolve this issue all this week. On Friday they are reporting back to the bosses at Harman on what the short term and long term fix will be. The Mark Levinson rep said he will call me back on Friday or Monday with the resolution they will be giving to Lexus.

Short term fix. Modify the EQ again and possibly the software in the head unit. push more bass to the door woofers and take away bass from the sub to remove the distortion without removing a lot of Bass from the car. These types of fixes can be sent out to the dealers in a matter of a month or so.

Long Term fix. perform a system modification. i.e. remove the 200mm sub and replace it with a larger sub like the one in the GS or LS (250mm or 300mm). this will involve a structure modification from Lexus to accept the larger sub and a long testing regime to make sure the it passes vibration, acoustics, heat, fire...bla bla bla. this could take several months to a year to get out to the dealers.

The bottom line is Mark Levinson is working the issue this week and will have a go ahead plan by early next week. Assuming I get a call back I'll post what I was told and how long we have to wait for the fix.

also. The ML amp that is in our 2013 ES 350's, it is the same exact amp that is in the GS, LS, and LX Mark Levinson equipped cars. Each amp has a specific flashing to it to match the setting needed for each car. so our 835 Watt amp is the same one as the 300+ watt amp in the GS350. Wouldn’t have guessed that.
I see this thread continuing, everyone please read the above statement, Lexus and ML are working on it.
Old 05-15-13, 04:58 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by jollick
I see this thread continuing, everyone please read the above statement, Lexus and ML are working on it.
Spoke to Lexus today, and they indicated they know nothing about a new amp being released; I am confused.
Old 05-15-13, 06:27 PM
DiscoDan
Driver School Candidate

If a dealer tells you that, just show them this. I don't keep any of my cars stock so I keep it handy
http://www.duramax.bizhosting.com/ma...s-warranty.htm

Good Info....
Old 05-15-13, 06:43 PM
DiscoDan
Driver School Candidate

Cool

I received a reply from Michelle at Lexus Customer Satisfaction today...

We apologize for the concerns that you are having with the audio system in your ES 300h. We are not a technical contact center and therefore, we are not in a position to provide a technical diagnosis of the concerns you are experiencing. The best way for Lexus to address your concern would be to physically inspect the vehicle at a Lexus dealership. Once the physical inspection has taken place, should you require further assistance, please contact us at the toll free phone number listed below. We cannot guarantee any financial assistance, but we can certainly discuss your concerns by phone. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you require further assistance, please contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

I say we consolidate and document the people and department we speak with.

-D

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?