ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Adaptive (Swivel) Front Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 09:11 AM
7 SEVEN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is great. So much detail put into the front grill, interior, and the ride has exceeded my expectations. You can literally steer with a pinkie. Also get ALOT of looks which is great for my self confidence!

Yes I traded in my '10 for the '13.

Last edited by 7 SEVEN; 08-13-12 at 09:12 AM. Reason: left out something
Old 08-22-12, 02:06 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Congrats on the new car. How do you like it so far? Did you keep your 2010 or trade it in?

For me HID's are a must have, and i can live without the adaptive feature after having them on my last two cars. After a while I didn't even notice the adaptive feature.
I agree. My old RX had adaptive headlights and I never did see where they did much good. Seemed like more of a gimmick to feature in commercials. But what I wonder is what, if any, connection there was to adding HID and dropping the adaptive feature. Or is the connection between LED running lights and the discontinuation of the adaptive feature? So many options, so many changes, so little time to decipher them all.
Old 08-22-12, 02:16 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NCRon
I agree. My old RX had adaptive headlights and I never did see where they did much good. Seemed like more of a gimmick to feature in commercials. But what I wonder is what, if any, connection there was to adding HID and dropping the adaptive feature. Or is the connection between LED running lights and the discontinuation of the adaptive feature? So many options, so many changes, so little time to decipher them all.
Could be cost cutting on the IS,ES and RX.
I believe the GS and LS still have AFS..
Old 08-22-12, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Could be cost cutting on the IS,ES and RX.
I believe the GS and LS still have AFS..
Joe, you are correct, the GS and LS have AFS. In addition to cost cutting I guess it keeps some separation between the GS/LS and the other sedans.
Old 08-22-12, 09:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Always bugs me too when they do away with features. I like the AFS.
Old 08-23-12, 10:04 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I have AFS on my 07, never seen any real use for the feature. But I do agree dropping it and engine covers does seem like a cost cutting(cheapening) action. IIRC early photos of the 07 ES had headlight washers, but then when it was released that option disappeared. I'm sure in the pre-production process a lot of options are considered and some don't make it simply on the basis of cost and model price points. And in this case AFS and engine bay covers got axed.
Old 08-23-12, 11:53 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Agreed, I don't know why they would discontinue this with all of the upgrades in place. I have AFS on my 09 and I really like it. When I make a turn I can see the lights follow my turn radius and it helps me see the road, along with my HID lights. I feel you it bugs me too........

It's a good looking car, saw it for the first time last weekend at an ATL dealer, this ES is a 10+, they sell as fast as they come in. The salesman told me they are not getting enough to meet demand.
Old 08-23-12, 12:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Cost cutting...
Old 09-02-12, 11:26 AM
MForce
Driver School Candidate

The HID is certainly sweet, but I would have liked to have the adaptive headlights.
Would have been nice had they been part of the L or U/L packages.
Did you actually not see any difference or did it just become so routine that you no longer notice more light in the corners?

Mark F
Old 09-03-12, 06:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MForce
The HID is certainly sweet, but I would have liked to have the adaptive headlights.
Would have been nice had they been part of the L or U/L packages.
Did you actually not see any difference or did it just become so routine that you no longer notice more light in the corners?

Mark F
To me,AFS is no big deal and you barely notice if at all the option when turning.
Old 09-06-12, 10:20 AM
unklexus
Rookie

I just turned mine off as I didn't see a significant difference, though it's there if you look for it, less wear and tear down the line, maybe.
Old 09-07-12, 05:05 AM
bobsobi
Driver

If you have HIDs, you're really not missing much without the swivel -- the horizontal dispersion is fine already. I have 'em on my '09, and really can't say there was ever a situation where they made a significant difference.
Old 11-10-12, 03:14 PM
ALIGN
Driver

It doesn't. I traded in my MB 04 E500 that has that feature. The Active Headlights move up, down, left, right when you start the vehicle to sync itself. It is a nice feature though because when the rear is loaded then it means the headlight would tilt upward therefore less light on the road and blinding the incoming traffic. With active headlights, it realigns itself depending on the vehicles inclination. When turning it moves a few degrees to wherever your turning. Too bad it didn't have this feature.

Last edited by ALIGN; 11-10-12 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 11-10-12, 03:38 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ALIGN
It doesn't. I traded in my MB 04 E500 that has that feature. The Active Headlights move up, down, left, right when you start the vehicle to sync itself. It is a nice feature though because when the rear is loaded than meaning the headlight would tilt upward therefore less light on the road and blinding the incoming traffic. With active headlights, it realigns itself depending on the vehicles inclination. When turning it moves a few degrees to wherever your turning. Too bad it didn't have this feature.
I have Adaptive Headlights on my current '11 ES350 and love'em. I do a lot of highway driving and they really light the way...even around curves. I don't use my high beams but some people still flash their lights at me...I guess my lights are super bright. I will miss them since they're not offered on the '13.
Old 11-11-12, 06:49 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Auto-leveling is a safety requirement for HID headlamps, so any 2013 ES equipped with it are still going to go through that startup ritual. However, I'm guessing the adaptive front lighting system which swivels the beam left or right will probably be re-introduced in subsequent years as part of one of the refreshes.

Quick Reply: Adaptive (Swivel) Front Headlight