ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Drove the ES300h, ALMOST walked out of there in a 2013!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Drove the ES300h, ALMOST walked out of there in a 2013!

Hey gang,

Went over and drove the ES300h today, the dealer got one in. I liked it overall, not for me though. One thing I noted was how hard it rode compared to my car and the gas car, looking through the displays I found the tire pressure readout (which now reads the actual pressure in all the tires by the way) and saw the PSI was 55! That explained that. In normal driving you really don't feel the differences in the hybrid and gas powertrains, the hybrid is very smooth and the transitions between gas and electric are almost imperceptible. I don't care for the bamboo trim, and I didn't care for the hybrid wheels. I also don't like the way a CVT feels during acceleration. Nothing against it, its just not for me.

So, they did have a ES350 optioned the way my 2010 is optioned, silver with grey interior with the better looking liquid graphite 17" wheels. I took that for a spin, I really do like the car a lot. The interior is just great, ride and drive is great as well. MSRP was $43,800...max discount was maybe $500.

So, I have 10 months left on my lease. I let them go ahead and appraise the car and run the numbers. Trade in came in where I'd be upside down a little bit, with the lack of discount and even with the high residual (60%, same between the 350 and 300h) we're talking $150 a month more than I'm paying now, which doesn't make sense for me to get out of what I've got early. I'll keep mine for a while, let the payoff get lower, let the 2013s get out a little more and get some bargaining room, and see what we can do.
Old 08-09-12, 03:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Hey gang,

Went over and drove the ES300h today, the dealer got one in. I liked it overall, not for me though. One thing I noted was how hard it rode compared to my car and the gas car, looking through the displays I found the tire pressure readout (which now reads the actual pressure in all the tires by the way) and saw the PSI was 55! That explained that. In normal driving you really don't feel the differences in the hybrid and gas powertrains, the hybrid is very smooth and the transitions between gas and electric are almost imperceptible. I don't care for the bamboo trim, and I didn't care for the hybrid wheels. I also don't like the way a CVT feels during acceleration. Nothing against it, its just not for me.

So, they did have a ES350 optioned the way my 2010 is optioned, silver with grey interior with the better looking liquid graphite 17" wheels. I took that for a spin, I really do like the car a lot. The interior is just great, ride and drive is great as well. MSRP was $43,800...max discount was maybe $500.

So, I have 10 months left on my lease. I let them go ahead and appraise the car and run the numbers. Trade in came in where I'd be upside down a little bit, with the lack of discount and even with the high residual (60%, same between the 350 and 300h) we're talking $150 a month more than I'm paying now, which doesn't make sense for me to get out of what I've got early. I'll keep mine for a while, let the payoff get lower, let the 2013s get out a little more and get some bargaining room, and see what we can do.
Waiting,you may get the 3 or 6 month early out of lease option too.
Old 08-09-12, 05:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the direct pressure readouts are probably only on the hybrid
Old 08-09-12, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Could be, I didn't try the readouts on the 350.

Yeah I'm sure the opportunity will present itself over the next 6 months.
Old 08-09-12, 06:18 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
the direct pressure readouts are probably only on the hybrid
I understand it to be both, this 2013 model year.
Old 08-09-12, 07:51 PM
RXSF

interesting...on the RX series, it is only available on the hybrid model.
Old 08-09-12, 08:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, now that I think about it I can confirm it is indeed on the gas car too, I did look and see because it rode so much better than the hybrid, 33 all around.
Old 08-09-12, 10:06 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Direct pressure readouts are indeed nice. I wish both of our Lexus' had it. My Silverado has it, and I use it.

Lou
Old 08-10-12, 05:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the hybrid in this model of ES is pretty attractive being $2800 more than the normal model but it goes from 21/31 mpg to 40/39 mpg
Old 08-11-12, 11:04 AM
TonyGulati
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013

I am in the same boat as you, i have a 2010 ES 350, got about 11 months left on the lease - going to wait for the initial buzz to wear off and see what deals they give me. Have not test driven yet but test drove an Audi A5 Coupe, did not fall "in love" with it like i did with the ES first time around when I got my first ES in 2007. Sat in the only model the dealer had in, which was a non nav car but now also comes with a back up camera option even if you do not get nav, the interior was beautiful but lets see how the ride feels when the time comes
Old 08-13-12, 08:05 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey gang,

I'm not into Hybrids, but I wonder why the PSI was so high on the tires. I called my dealer to see if the 13's had come in. He said yes, and that he can't keep one long enough to show it off. As soon as one comes in it's gone in a matter of a day or so. Obviously the 13 ES is a hit just like the GS. I'm not sure if I will trade my 09 right now or not, I may very well be tempted like you were, but I can get more bang for my buck if I wait another year, might be tough though after see it and test drive it. ....
Old 08-13-12, 08:43 PM
RXSF

its not because its a hybrid, its because when they ship the cars over on the boat, they keep the tires inflated higher than normal to keep the tire from getting a flat spot from sitting there on the boat for two weeks. The dealers are supposed to release the air but sometimes they forget
Old 08-14-12, 07:19 AM
rkw1976
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive

Hey,

Where in Maryland did were you able to test drive the 300h?

Hey gang,

Old 08-14-12, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I'm not into Hybrids, but I wonder why the PSI was so high on the tires.
RXSF hit it on the head. The 300h I drove had not had the PDI done, and the pressure was high for shipping.

Originally Posted by rkw1976
Hey,

Where in Maryland did were you able to test drive the 300h?
Lexus of Rockville
Old 08-14-12, 06:46 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
its not because its a hybrid, its because when they ship the cars over on the boat, they keep the tires inflated higher than normal to keep the tire from getting a flat spot from sitting there on the boat for two weeks. The dealers are supposed to release the air but sometimes they forget
RXSF is correct: Dealer confirmed that tires are indeed pumped WAY the hell up during shipment.

The door label on my ES300h says 33 PSI for all tires.

Quick Reply: Drove the ES300h, ALMOST walked out of there in a 2013!