ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Saw/sat in my first 2013!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 06:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Saw/sat in my first 2013!

On a whim tonight on our way home from a dinner out we swung by the local Lexus dealer I stopped by yesterday to see if they had a 2013. Sure enough, they did!

Sitting right out front was a cerulean blue and parchment 2013. No nav, nu luxe seating. Sticker was $41,500. Car did have park assist, BSM, etc.

Overall, the car looks great. I echo what others have said about it looking better in person than in the pictures. I will still say I miss the chrome trim along the sides and door handles. Overal though, the car looks great. Very elegant and sleek. Definitely think this is the best implementation of the spindle grille.

My one quality niggle with the exterior s with the exhaust tips. Why they didn't go that little bit extra and do integrated tips is beyond me, Beyond that, the tips are very low quality, thin metal fake tips that are noticeably clamped on to the steel end of the exhaust pipes, very low rent looking. Compared to the tips on my 2010 which are solid, welded on, smooth on the inside.

Overall though, it's a solid improvement.

Inside the differences are even more distinct. I've always griped about the quality differences between the Gen 4 ES and the Gen 5 ES. The small improvements that came in 2010 helped that somewhat, but the 2013 is a huge improvement. All the materials feel much nicer, the leather-like dash looks great, the gauges are a significant upgrade, all the displays are significantly improved, the rear space difference is quite distinct, and even the nu-luxe feels pretty darn good. Like others have said, the way the door panels interface with the dash is a little different, the door panels are quite flat, compared to the molded type panels we're used to. Interior ambient lighting is very cool.

Overall I'm very impressed with the car, can't wait to drive one. I'm sure I'll get the chance some time next week...
Old 08-03-12, 07:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you get a chance to drive the 2013 next week let us know your thoughts.

I'm interested to hear how it drives (steering and handling) vs. the 2010. I've read a couple of early reviews that say both have improved - And I've read a couple of others that said there isn't much difference.
Old 08-03-12, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I will. I have a full day tomorrow or I'd get over there and drive that one, I'm sure it'll be gone after tomorrow. I should be able to slide by Monday morning and if they have onei'll give it a drive.
Old 08-03-12, 07:44 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Lexus.com is taking their sweet time on updating their website! I cant believe they are in dealerships and ready for sale but they are so slow on their website. I also agree the exhaust pipes on the new ES arent well executed. The problem to me is that they are too circular and not oval enough. Another reason to get the hybrid
Old 08-03-12, 07:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Lexus.com is taking their sweet time on updating their website! I cant believe they are in dealerships and ready for sale but they are so slow on their website. I also agree the exhaust pipes on the new ES arent well executed. The problem to me is that they are too circular and not oval enough. Another reason to get the hybrid
I was surprised to get offered a brochure on the 2013 when I was in the dealership yesterday. Surprising the web site isn't updated. Unless they are waiting for some special launch date.
Old 08-03-12, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe I can find an hour tomorrow to go drive it LOL
Old 08-04-12, 05:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Maybe I can find an hour tomorrow to go drive it LOL
Better allow a couple of hours for the test drive and then the purchase procedure.
Old 08-04-12, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh for sure!
Old 08-04-12, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well I went by and drove it!

I'll say again, I really like the new interior. It's very elegant, and makes the car feel wider and bigger. All the new displays are great, the new gauges are a huge improvement, as is the high res info display between the tach and speedo.

One other interesting quality thing, all the plastic covers under the hood are gone. My 2010 is all trimmed and covered around the engine under the hood. The 2013 has everything exposed.

As for the drive, I know Bob wanted to know my thoughts compared to my 2010. Overall, the car is very similar. Driving down the road if you closed your eyes (might want to save that for when you're a passenger) you would be hard pressed to know whether you were in a 2012 or 2013. I didn't feel like it was any sportier really, in fact the steering is MUCH lighter and number on the 2013, you can really steer it with your little finger.

Overall I thought it drive great, but comparing to a 2010-2012 the reason to upgrade would be features, the interior and style. Drive wise they are very similar.

One thing I did find a little annoying is the gauge cluster lens is angled in such a way that it does reflect trees and such from the outside. Not a big deal.

They should have a hybrid in for me to drive in the next week or so, he's going to call me. Looking forward to trying out the hybrid.
Old 08-04-12, 06:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Steve, thanks for the report. I might have to go for a test drive one of these days. You've got me curious now. It would also give me a chance to take a closer look at everything.
Old 08-04-12, 08:48 PM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was invited to the Lexus ES tour event in Carson Ca. to do a test ride over a very short parking lot course. They had a Hybrid and gas model in all the packages. For comparison there was Caddy CTS and a E350 we drove. Okay the E350 was the most powerful and nimble of all three. But it is so tiny and low I was not comfortable at all and it does cost a lot. The caddy was nice but I rather go for a Lacrosse for $32k and get everything it had in it for $40k.

Then it was time for the ES test drive, my first though was boy it's so much smaller than my Avalon. Of course I said it out loud and they hit the roof. Oh no the ES is bigger, just look at the wheel base dimension on the brochure. lol I said no look at my car you can sit three comfortably on the back seat this was not possible in a ES. Also the front seat is more cockpit like than the Avalon made me feel cramp, being uses to the bench like Avalon seat. Anyway the car is nice the steering is a little more responsive than before. The brake are still mushy and take a second to stop the car. There are some nice new features like the Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert for only $500. Plus the Nav is push back and hooded so hopefully the screen will not wash it out in bright sunlight. The Hybrid is sweet with a spoiler included, it really seem like it might be worth the extra $2700 premium. There was a GS there now I really like the front seat setup but the back seat is a bit cramp for my taste in a $50k sedan.
Old 08-04-12, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The back seat is huge! You absolutely can sit 3 across comfortably in the new ES. you can sit 3 comfortably in my ES...I do it all the time.
Old 08-05-12, 07:31 AM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The back seat is huge! You absolutely can sit 3 across comfortably in the new ES. you can sit 3 comfortably in my ES...I do it all the time.
Okay you can sit three adult comfortable in the rear seat of an ES. But if you every have a chance to sit in a Avalon rear seat you'd understand the difference I'm talking about. Please don't take offense Lexus is a better car based on price and styling than the Avalon. But the ES is just configured a little smaller inside that was all I meant. I want a ES so I'm looking for all the positive point in making a purchase decision.
Old 08-05-12, 10:31 AM
hdbrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by longslim
Okay you can sit three adult comfortable in the rear seat of an ES. But if you every have a chance to sit in a Avalon rear seat you'd understand the difference I'm talking about.
Finally, so happy to hear someone else make a point on this. Went for a test drive yesterday. Obviously, this depends on where you're coming from. Most $30K range imports have small backseats, so this new ES does have extra legroom...especially compared to the smaller MB C-Class or BMW 3-Series...but I was really hoping for much more, especially after all the HYPE and the word HUGE thrown around in every review. I rented an Avalon on a trip a while back and was blown away by the backseat room. That's HUGE and comfortable and you feel like you're in a limo or a town car or an S-Class. The new ES does not have this feeling. Big enough, but when they say HUGE and say this car shares the Avalon body, I was expected an Avalon backseat. So, a bit disappointing, but not much I can do now but accept that it's the best in class.

Some other notes about the backseat...not much going on there except the sun shades on the Ultra Luxury and the cup holders. No A/C controls...no movie screen option...no ipod headphone jack...not even a pocket to hold things in the doors. Surprised they didn't do much back there. A bit nervous to buy now thinking they'll upgrade that backseat in the next year?

All that being said, the front seats and front interior is probably the best I've ever seen in any car. Just amazing. Outside styling is bland...wish it were more striking, but not offensive in any way...but you probably won't be turning heads...until someone sits in the car... The drive felt like I was on a cloud...not sure if that's a good thing, so need to test drive again and for a longer period of time.

Ultimately, I want this car...so I'm being critical based on my expectations...waiting so long to see it...
Old 08-05-12, 10:52 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I wont add anything opinion based because I have yet to sit in the ES, but here are the specs of the S class and ES leg room.

S class: 41.9 front, 42.3 rear

ES: 41.9 front, 40 rear.

That is pretty darn close and I would even consider the ES to be in S class territory. Really is impressive as the S class is 14 inches longer

the avalon has 41.3/40.9 so I think you can say that are the same. I don't know why people feel the avalon is larger

Quick Reply: Saw/sat in my first 2013!