ES350 and ES300h Official Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 10:23 PM
maptodo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by cottbott
The reviews from Consumers Report and others did concern me.
Looked at them all - Mercedes C300, BMW 328i, Accura TL, Buick LaCrosse, ATS
My wife had equal say in the decision.
We chose the ES for the following reasons:
Ride - I liked the BMW best - Wife liked the ES. We intend to keep the car for at least 10 years probably longer, and over time my wife was concerned she would get irritated with a stiff ride driving around the lousy roads in Princeton, and wanted front or all wheel drive for winter handling.

Interior - completely disagree with previous posts. I like the interior MUCH better than the last .
Clean - found all but the BMW too busy and lousy ergonomics. Not too fond of the mouse in the ES either, which is why we did not get the Nav package ( we use our iPhone anyway )
The BMW is pretty damn nice inside as well, but the long term cost of ownership gave me concern.
You can find individual traits of cars you like better, and I do see where some are coming from, but overall the ES just filled more positive slots than the rest when all was considered.
It is very important to compare apple to apple, if we want a fair comparation. I believe the BMW and Benz belong to a totally different class.

My complaints are solely based on comparing the ES350 2013 to its previous versions. I have been an owner of the ES250(1993), ES300(1997), ES330(2004) and 2010 ES350 and without a doubt the quality of the vehicle workmanship for the ES350(2013) is far inferior than any other version.
I wonder what your opinion about consumer report would be if you owned a previous version of the ES350. Look can be very deceiving. I love the new outside shape of the new ES350. But I would never buy a car just because its look.

I hope this help clarify my point.
Old 07-31-13, 08:17 AM
Mike218
Rookie

How does the C300 compare to the Lexus? Same reliability?
Old 07-31-13, 08:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When I bought my 2007 ES350 right out of the box in late-April/early May 2006 there was A LOT of talk about how this new gen lacked the quality of the previous gen ES330. Also talk of how the quality of the interior had been downgraded, flaring transmissions, noisy engines and noisy cabins etc. Those comments subsided in time and according to CR the long term reliability of the 2007-2012 has been very good each year. The 2010 mid cycle refresh was needed and gave the ES some additional appeal - I bought one.

My guess is that this happens with each new generation and as we adjust to the new model things will settle down. If history is any indication this new gen of ES will be just as good as previous generations have been.
Old 08-10-13, 12:12 PM
maptodo
Driver School Candidate

Smile Better Alternative to the ES350

Originally Posted by Mike218
How does the C300 compare to the Lexus? Same reliability?
The C300 is as reliable as the ES350, but of course the handling of the C300 is far superior than the ES350 any year in it. history.

this is for Mike728

You want better alternatives to the 2013 ES350 its own self 2007 - 2012

beside itself, the Avalon, the Hyundai Genesis and always the Infiniti G37. However the G37 is in a different class than the ES350....... Do you want more? the new 2014 IMPALA it will blows you away.

Mike728, I agree with you, as time pass the dust settle down. It is also true that by that time, the competition have already gained market share in your area. Look where Hyundai came from? from the worst to the very top causing tremendous market share losses to Toyota and Honda.

There was a time that Benz E350 was the best ever tested car by Consumer Report. Just to be replaced by Lexus LS model for many year. Now the Lexus LS has been replaced as the best ever tested vehicle too. Guess by who? "home work assignment".
Old 08-10-13, 01:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The competition is good for consumers. There are a number of good cars out there in each segment. Just depends on what you are looking for and what meets your needs and expectations.

No reliability info yet on CR's new top rated sedan, but it certainly got a very good road test review.
Old 08-12-13, 06:57 AM
maptodo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The competition is good for consumers. There are a number of good cars out there in each segment. Just depends on what you are looking for and what meets your needs and expectations.

No reliability info yet on CR's new top rated sedan, but it certainly got a very good road test review.
I AGREE!
Old 08-12-13, 11:56 AM
cottbott
Driver School Candidate

We drove the Impala. It handles nicley, certainly more taught than the ES.
However my wife and I found the interior and controls too busy, and it has the same issue as the ATS, though not as bad. I am a tall person, and the passenger side transmission hump will not allow me to put my feet out in front of me. I must push my feet into the right corner of the well to streatch out.
This is unacceptable in any luxury or up line car.
Old 08-21-13, 06:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

"Official" Club Lexus review? LINK

Really, a 2014 300h? Didn't know it had a CVT trans?
Old 08-21-13, 06:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
"Official" Club Lexus review? LINK

Really, a 2014 300h? Didn't know it had a CVT trans?
Seems like everyone is a tester/reviewer these days.
Old 08-21-13, 06:51 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does a CVT even have a "fourth gear?"
Old 08-24-13, 11:06 AM
MaiES300h
Driver School Candidate

Default ES350 trade in

So I just bought a2013 ES350 about 3 months ago but so taken by the ISF sport and wanted to know what people thoughts and advices about trade in values and how low should I take in as a loss in trade in. What are your thoughts in general about the trade in, is it worth taking a hit in the trade? Please be honest with me.
Old 08-24-13, 11:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by MaiES300h
So I just bought a2013 ES350 about 3 months ago but so taken by the ISF sport and wanted to know what people thoughts and advices about trade in values and how low should I take in as a loss in trade in. What are your thoughts in general about the trade in, is it worth taking a hit in the trade? Please be honest with me.
Completely different vehicle. Sounds like you're priorities have changed in 3 months. Also, this doesn't belong in the "Official Reviews" thread.
Old 08-27-13, 10:19 PM
cottbott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maptodo
The C300 is as reliable as the ES350, but of course the handling of the C300 is far superior than the ES350 any year in it. history.

this is for Mike728

You want better alternatives to the 2013 ES350 its own self 2007 - 2012

beside itself, the Avalon, the Hyundai Genesis and always the Infiniti G37. However the G37 is in a different class than the ES350....... Do you want more? the new 2014 IMPALA it will blows you away.

Mike728, I agree with you, as time pass the dust settle down. It is also true that by that time, the competition have already gained market share in your area. Look where Hyundai came from? from the worst to the very top causing tremendous market share losses to Toyota and Honda.

There was a time that Benz E350 was the best ever tested car by Consumer Report. Just to be replaced by Lexus LS model for many year. Now the Lexus LS has been replaced as the best ever tested vehicle too. Guess by who? "home work assignment".
The Mercedes C350 4 Matic, according to my mechanic with 35 years of foreign car experience told me after 5 years the reliability of the Lexus would be far superior to that of the Mercedes. He said the Mercedes was a great car, well engineered, but that if you were looking for long term ownership costs, you could not beat a Lexus or Accura..
He also called BMW's "Big Money Wasters " His quote not mine. This lead to the decision to purchase the Lexus.
Old 09-02-13, 03:29 PM
ysc4F92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cottbott
The Mercedes C350 4 Matic, according to my mechanic with 35 years of foreign car experience told me after 5 years the reliability of the Lexus would be far superior to that of the Mercedes. He said the Mercedes was a great car, well engineered, but that if you were looking for long term ownership costs, you could not beat a Lexus or Accura..
He also called BMW's "Big Money Wasters " His quote not mine. This lead to the decision to purchase the Lexus.
Your mechanic agree with me and I agree with him regarding the BMW too. He might not know what the subject here in the blog is about. RELIABILITY has never been questioned about the lexus brand. Furthermore, the C300 is a different vehicle than the C350. When it comes to reliability Benz's reliability as a whole doesn't compare with Lexus' as Lexu's is superior.

my point has always been about how Lexus ES350 2013 has lost its luxurious, plush, intuitive interior. If this is your first Lexus ESxxxx is hard to know the difference.

Peace
Old 09-09-13, 07:44 PM
cottbott
Driver School Candidate

You may be right , and if so, wow was the Lexus killer, because I find the interior of my 2013 Lexus to be on par with the BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Volvo. My wife and I drove them all, and while I would not say the Lexus is better, it to us anyway holds it's own.

Quick Reply: ES350 and ES300h Official Reviews Thread