ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

08 ES 350 VIP suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 05:08 PM
ink79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 ES 350 VIP suspension

I have a 2008 ES 350 that I have had for almost 6 years and just hit 150k miles a few months back. I love this car, it has been so good to me, but now I want to start making some modifications and customization. Up to this point it is completely stock. I really want to drop it and put some rims on it, leaning towards the VIP look. Has anyone replaced their stock suspension? I was looking at coil overs, or possibly even electronically adjustable coil overs. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-17, 10:57 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Welcome to CL. Do some searching as this has been covered, mostly by folks installing Camry suspension bits as some of them fit but the ride will change a lot. There are not a lot of aftermarket parts for this vehicle.

In a recent thread member es350chuck said that he lowered his ES350. You could search for his posts.
Old 02-27-17, 11:59 AM
es350chuck
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I admire what you want to do to your ES. I'm aiming for the same look on my 2011, and I'm currently I'm dropped on Eibach springs (camry). When my shocks go out that's when i'll look into coilovers. As for ride quality, the ride is almost the same on highway driving, in the city you'll feel the road more more since it won't be as soft.

To each their own, but I will say that dropping my vehicle has greatly improved handling and cornering. I know this car isn't a sports sedan, but there's so much body roll with the drop I feel more secure when my tires grip the road. Sidenote, I also installed a front strut bar and that in addition to the springs has changed the driving characteristics greatly for the better.

Whether you go static or bagged, I recommend trying out lowering springs first and you can determine if you want to go more of a slammed look with coilovers or even with a bagged system. If you don't like the way the vehicle rides just after springs, switch them back to the oem springs and you're all set. Again I plan on going coilovers when my shocks start to give me problems. Plan to upgrade the wheels to 19", but for now it's just a waiting game on the upgrading. If you really want a VIP set up go bagged but its a hefty investment.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how good the drop makes the car on OEM wheels. Since the install I've been complimented how the car sits better at a lower stance! NO REGRETS!
The following users liked this post:
ink79 (03-02-17)
Old 02-27-17, 12:02 PM
es350chuck
Driver

Originally Posted by es350chuck
I admire what you want to do to your ES. I'm aiming for the same look on my 2011, and I'm currently I'm dropped on Eibach springs (camry). When my shocks go out that's when i'll look into coilovers. As for ride quality, the ride is almost the same on highway driving, in the city you'll feel the road more more since it won't be as soft.

To each their own, but I will say that dropping my vehicle has greatly improved handling and cornering. I know this car isn't a sports sedan, but there's so much body roll with the drop I feel more secure when my tires grip the road. Sidenote, I also installed a front strut bar and that in addition to the springs has changed the driving characteristics greatly for the better.

Whether you go static or bagged, I recommend trying out lowering springs first and you can determine if you want to go more of a slammed look with coilovers or even with a bagged system. If you don't like the way the vehicle rides just after springs, switch them back to the oem springs and you're all set. Again I plan on going coilovers when my shocks start to give me problems. Plan to upgrade the wheels to 19", but for now it's just a waiting game on the upgrading. If you really want a VIP set up go bagged but its a hefty investment.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how good the drop makes the car on OEM wheels. Since the install I've been complimented how the car sits better at a lower stance! NO REGRETS!

Old 03-01-17, 12:56 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks awesome
Old 03-01-17, 02:46 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

all this suspension talk makes me a big confused
what exactly do you mean by coil overs ?
and what parts are you using to drop the ride height ?
Old 03-01-17, 02:55 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coilover just means coil+strut (the coil goes over the strut) and they typically come with lower seats and adjustability so you can adjust the ride height.

Static lowering is achieved by using a shorter coil spring...pretty simple.
es350chuck (03-01-17)
Old 03-01-17, 03:00 PM
es350chuck
Driver

You'll need a spring compressor and jack at the very least to help load the new springs and properly seat them on all 4 wheels. Coilovers are a different beast as you can adjust them necessary to regular or track driving.

Suspensions:

Lowering Springs
Lowering your car is the cheaper alternative to getting coilovers but does not increase your handling as much as coilovers would. Simply put, they're just a shorter version of your OEM springs.

Pros: Cheap alternative to lowering your car, easy swap with OEM springs, same ride quality as factory on highway, side streets more stiffer and you feel the road more.

Cons: Decreases the life of your shocks but minimal at best. It will not effect the life of the shocks as much.

Coilovers
These are probably the best route to go if you want maximum lowering and stance/track specs. Either if you're going for stance or track, coilovers would be the best upgrade you can go with but also decreases ride comfort. Coilovers decreases body roll and increases handling, but also increases road harshness, you will feel every road bumps and harder to drive around steep driveways and ramps. It can also be tricky if you don't know how to set up the specs. Most coilovers today are adjustable from 36-way to 16-way. Most come with pillow mounts, camber adjusters, castors, and specialized dampers. When it comes to coilovers, I strongly believe you get what you pay, but there are reputable brands that make high quality coilovers for the same price as cheap, unreliable brands.

Pros: Height adjustable, camber/castor adjustable if offered, increases handling, lowers center of gravity, great for track sessions
Cons: Ride quality decreases, will feel every bump on the road, harder to drive around steep driveways, ramps, and dips, can decrease MPG (not proven but noted by several drivers)

Last edited by es350chuck; 03-01-17 at 03:13 PM.
ink79 (03-02-17)
Old 03-01-17, 03:09 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Blue Moose Engineering
Coilover just means coil+strut (the coil goes over the strut) and they typically come with lower seats and adjustability so you can adjust the ride height.

Static lowering is achieved by using a shorter coil spring...pretty simple.
Since my struts were just replaced about 20k ago with a full Monroe set up full kit quick struts i am interested in coil overs since i have to soon replace the rear struts
so if i where to get a coil over kit for the 07ES350 i could use one for a 07 Camry also from what i have been reading. Correct ?
that is just bassicaly replacing hte coils so the springs will be replaced but the struts will still be the same ?

also how hard is it to adjust the high ?
like they are adjustable from what i am reading.
so in the Spring summer when i have them on with the 20 inch wheels i want to get i would be able to have it lowered but then in the winter when i go back to stock wheels with winter snow tires i could adjust it back to stock height correct ?
Old 03-01-17, 03:13 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

You'll need a spring compressor and jack at the very least to help load the new springs and properly seat them on all 4 wheels. Coilovers are a different beast as you can adjust them necessary to regular or track driving.

Suspensions:

Lowering Springs
Lowering your car is the cheaper alternative to getting coil overs but does not increase your handling as much as coil overs would. Simply put, they're just a shorter version of your OEM springs.

Pros: Cheap alternative to lowering your car, easy swap with OEM springs, same ride quality as factory

Cons: Decreases the life of your shocks but minimal at best. It will not effect the life of the shocks as much.

Coilovers
These are probably the best route to go if you want maximum lowering and stance/track specs. Either if you're going for stance or track, coil overs would be the best upgrade you can go with but also decreases ride comfort. Coilovers decreases body roll and increases handling, but also increases road harshness; you will feel every road bumps and harder to drive around steep driveways and ramps. It can also be tricky if you don't know how to set up the specs. Most coilovers today are adjustable from 36-way to 16-way. Most come with pillow mounts, camber adjusters, castors, and specialized dampers. When it comes to coilovers, I strongly believe you get what you pay, but there are reputable brands that make high quality coilovers for the same price as cheap, unreliable brands.

Pros: Height adjustable, camber/castor adjustable if offered, increases handling, lowers center of gravity, great for track sessions
Cons: Ride quality decreases, will feel every bump on the road, harder to drive around steep driveways, ramps, and dips, can decrease MPG (not proven but noted by several drivers)

i was reading some older threads i saw that some people where saying Megans kits are good but those where years ago
i just went and looked on Megans website and i only see the lowering springs avaialble.
i don't wnat lower springs i would like Coil overs from what i have been reading from the replies.
because in the summer i can lower it with the 20 inch wheels i want to put on
and in the winter i can raise it back to stock hiegh tiwth my stock snow tires on it.
so am i thinking correclty here going with coil overs ?

also what brans should i look at at ?
Old 03-01-17, 03:25 PM
es350chuck
Driver

BC Racing BR Series
Lowest Price Found: $990
Spring Rate: 6.0F / 3.0 R
Adjustable Features: 30-Way Adjustable damper, camber, height
Lowest Adjustable Height: N/A

Megan Racing
Lowest Price Found: $899
Spring Rate: 6.0 F / 3.0 R
Adjustable Features: 32-Way

D2 Racing
Adjustable Features: 36-Way
ink79 (03-02-17)
Old 03-01-17, 03:28 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

BC Racing BR Series
Spring Rate: 6.0F / 3.0 R
Adjustable Features: 30-Way Adjustable damper, camber, height

Megan Racing
Lowest Price Found: $899
Adjustable Features: 32-Way

D2 Racing
Adjustable Features: 36-Way

so these are all adjustable kits not just lowering springs but they acutaly can be addjusted correct ?
Where are you finding the Megan one from i was just looking on there website and i saw that they don't have a coil over kit showing avaialbel they only have the lowering springs avaialble for the 07 lexus es350 and toyota
where is it your looking to see these parts ?
Old 03-01-17, 03:35 PM
es350chuck
Driver

Came across these other brands when I was researching, but you should be able to google these and pull up some results for the other brands....There's two types of coilovers Megan Racing offers, 32 levels and 15 level of damper adjustments

http://www.meganracingperformance.co...-p-448982.html 32 level
https://propartsusa.com/products/Meg...FUxqfgodObcMUQ15 level

Last edited by es350chuck; 03-01-17 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 03:43 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Came across these other brands when I was researching, but you should be able to google these and pull up some results for the other brands....There's two types of coilovers Megan Racing offers, 32 levels and 15 level of damper adjustments

http://www.meganracingperformance.co...-p-448982.html 32 level
https://propartsusa.com/products/Meg...FUxqfgodObcMUQ15 level

cool thank you
wondering how come if they both seem tobe megans why different prices but thank you
i will look into these more and i am really considering them once i get the recal compelted on the airbag issues.

wondering how come they show them for the camry but when looking up for lexus they don't show them for the es350 its weird how they do that
Old 03-01-17, 03:56 PM
es350chuck
Driver

The cheaper one limits you as to how much you can adjust your dampers at 15 vs 32 level fo

I would go with either BC or Megan.

Last edited by es350chuck; 03-01-17 at 04:03 PM.