ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

speaker sometimes works sometimes doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 06:05 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default speaker sometimes works sometimes doesn't

I have on the 2007 ES350 the speaker that the factory bluetooth uses i think thats the Driver left side dash speaker ?
sometimes it works fine and sometimes it doesn't work fine let me explain
sometimes i can hear the bluetooth from the speaker for the phone and sometimes i can hear the guidance from the GPS
and then at other times it doesn't work at all
sometimes its very faint and i have to turn the volume all the way to the top when on the phone to hear from it and sometimes i can have it more than half way down and hear from it fine.
id say about 2 years ago it started to distort where it would give me trouble on cold morning but then would be fine the rest of the day

now it does this weather its cold or hout out and sometimes it never wants to work all day long and sometimes its fine.

Do i have a bad speaker ? or does it sound more like a bad amp ?
i do not have the ML system i have the regular speakers stock not the ML
Old 12-22-16, 05:28 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Sounds like a bad speaker or connection. More like a failing voice coil in the speaker. I would get it replaced.
Old 12-22-16, 08:19 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Sounds like a bad speaker or connection. More like a failing voice coil in the speaker. I would get it replaced.
ok thank you am i correct that its the Driver left side dash speaker ? someone told me it was that and i thought i read smewhere that it was the driver door speaker so not sure
Old 12-22-16, 11:37 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In non ML equipped vehicles, there are 8 speakers:
4 - each door (dl front, dl rear, pass front, pass rear)
3 - dash; left center and right
1 - rear deck (sub)

The 2 front door speakers and tweeter (left/right dash) are "shared" - the driver's side front door and driver's side tweeter are driven off of the front left channel, and the passenger side front door and passenger side tweeter are driven off of the front right channel. If my memory serves, there's just a simple capacitor-based low frequency limiter on the connection going to the tweeters to eliminate low frequency damage to those components.

I don't own an ML based system, but I can tell from my non-ML they at least added some mid range helpers to the left and right dash (you can see where by looking at the speaker locations from the front of the car through the windshield).
Old 12-22-16, 01:59 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by mlacomb
In non ML equipped vehicles, there are 8 speakers:
4 - each door (dl front, dl rear, pass front, pass rear)
3 - dash; left center and right
1 - rear deck (sub)

The 2 front door speakers and tweeter (left/right dash) are "shared" - the driver's side front door and driver's side tweeter are driven off of the front left channel, and the passenger side front door and passenger side tweeter are driven off of the front right channel. If my memory serves, there's just a simple capacitor-based low frequency limiter on the connection going to the tweeters to eliminate low frequency damage to those components.

I don't own an ML based system, but I can tell from my non-ML they at least added some mid range helpers to the left and right dash (you can see where by looking at the speaker locations from the front of the car through the windshield).

thank you but the question is still which speaker is it that handles the bluetooth for the phone ? and the speaker for the GPS Naivgation voice ?
Old 12-22-16, 04:03 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

er all of them?
Old 12-22-16, 07:32 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From the way my 08 non ML car sounds, it all comes from the driver's side front speaker set. This comment is specifically for bluetooth conversations (phone), as I don't have navigation. Since the frequency cutoff for voice via bluetooth is so low, it doesn't sound like much comes through the tweeter - but given the wiring, since I hear it from the door speaker mostly it has to be running through the tweeter as well.

Do you have any issues with music coming though the same speaker? Fade the controls all the way to front, and then all the way left.
Old 12-23-16, 08:14 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by mlacomb
From the way my 08 non ML car sounds, it all comes from the driver's side front speaker set. This comment is specifically for bluetooth conversations (phone), as I don't have navigation. Since the frequency cutoff for voice via bluetooth is so low, it doesn't sound like much comes through the tweeter - but given the wiring, since I hear it from the door speaker mostly it has to be running through the tweeter as well.

Do you have any issues with music coming though the same speaker? Fade the controls all the way to front, and then all the way left.

No problem with Music music is fine in all speakers it is just the issue with GPS Voice for Navigation directions and BlueTooth Phone During calls
Old 12-23-16, 07:59 PM
alana106
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Not sure it this is your issue. I have a 2010 ES 350 with Navigation. I lost audio on the navigation that had been working. Found that the speaker selection in the navigation settings had been changed to the center speaker, ( I read somewhere that inavigation audio only works with the left speaker} I changed the navigation speaker selection to left, and corrected the problem. I have no idea how it got changed, since I am the only driver.

Good luck,
Alan
Old 12-26-16, 01:55 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

thanks but mine works intermittet and not just with navigation it the phone also that has the issue sometimes works sometimes doesnt im assuming its going to be just the the speaker needs to be replaced and hope thats it