ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus ES350 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 07:40 AM
TagaNegros
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ES350 Recall

I owned a CPO 2008 Lexus ES350 that I bought in 2009 with 19,100 miles. It now has 40,031 miles with no problem whatsoever. I received a Takata Airbag Inflator recall around June 2016. I haven't heard anything about it so on 8/22/2016, I submitted a feedback online asking when I am going to finally get the recall fix because my wife and I are both retired and we only have one car to go around town and we could not even pick up and take our grand kids out because of it. The only response I got is, "we will let you know when" and "to ask a Lexus dealer if they could offer me a loaner". I asked the dealer, I was told that they are not authorized to issue a free loaner. I like my Lexus very much but I am afraid to take a chance driving it. I am thinking now to sell it but I could not sell it to t private party because of the recall. And of course the dealer will only give me a minimum amount if I trade it in. Lexus does make good car but their response to a problem is slow. Meanwhile, they are making money while we wait. I'm now looking for a new reliable non Lexus CPO.
Old 09-26-16, 09:02 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't seen it discussed, but I imagine you can disable the passenger side airbag somehow right? I mean, it might not have a convenient switch like some cars do but perhaps there's another way...?
Old 09-29-16, 02:21 PM
zealexus
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down airbags

I am in the same "boat". I called the dealer asking them when the recall will be fixed? They couldn't answer my question and they told me to call Lexus headquarters (computer voice). I told them I bought a 4 door car not a one door car.. Lexus should give everybody a loaner while this is being taken care of! Bad customer service on this one.
The following users liked this post:
kbyer (03-02-17)
Old 09-30-16, 06:50 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by zealexus
I am in the same "boat". I called the dealer asking them when the recall will be fixed? They couldn't answer my question and they told me to call Lexus headquarters (computer voice). I told them I bought a 4 door car not a one door car.. Lexus should give everybody a loaner while this is being taken care of! Bad customer service on this one.
That's ridiculous. Where do you think dealerships are going to get loaner cars for everyone hit by this recall?

The fact of the matter is, that the airbag problem is widespread. It goes beyond Lexus/Toyota. There are simply not enough replacement parts for fix all the cars at the same time.
Old 09-30-16, 08:28 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jkayca
That's ridiculous. Where do you think dealerships are going to get loaner cars for everyone hit by this recall?

The fact of the matter is, that the airbag problem is widespread. It goes beyond Lexus/Toyota. There are simply not enough replacement parts for fix all the cars at the same time.
This is absolutely true. There's just no good solution.
Old 09-30-16, 12:26 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TagaNegros
I owned a CPO 2008 Lexus ES350 that I bought in 2009 with 19,100 miles. It now has 40,031 miles with no problem whatsoever. I received a Takata Airbag Inflator recall around June 2016. I haven't heard anything about it so on 8/22/2016, I submitted a feedback online asking when I am going to finally get the recall fix because my wife and I are both retired and we only have one car to go around town and we could not even pick up and take our grand kids out because of it. The only response I got is, "we will let you know when" and "to ask a Lexus dealer if they could offer me a loaner". I asked the dealer, I was told that they are not authorized to issue a free loaner. I like my Lexus very much but I am afraid to take a chance driving it. I am thinking now to sell it but I could not sell it to t private party because of the recall. And of course the dealer will only give me a minimum amount if I trade it in. Lexus does make good car but their response to a problem is slow. Meanwhile, they are making money while we wait. I'm now looking for a new reliable non Lexus CPO.
This airbag problem extends well beyond the Lexus line.
Old 10-01-16, 04:52 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Spoke with my dealer who says my region (Zone B) will not be addressed until at earliest January 2017 but more likely April or May 2017.

He offered a gratis rental car from Enterprise up to $35/day until the problem is resolved as long as I can prove the car was not driven during this time.

Think I'll continue to leave wifey at home...
Old 10-15-16, 09:44 PM
quocsupra
Driver School Candidate

My Leuxs dealer offer me the 2017 camry for free rental car. I have driven it for 3 months already. They have been paying for the rental about $1000 for each month im using the rental car. You can ask the other and bigger dealer. They may have rental car for you
Old 10-17-16, 08:38 AM
TagaNegros
Driver School Candidate

Great feedback!. Thank you codejd and quocsupra. The others probably work for a Lexus dealer. I am now negotiating to buy a 2016 Audi A6 premium plus.

Last edited by TagaNegros; 10-17-16 at 08:44 AM. Reason: needed more info.
Old 10-17-16, 09:22 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Great feedback!. Thank you codejd and quocsupra. The others probably work for a Lexus dealer. I am now negotiating to buy a 2016 Audi A6 premium plus.
It sounds like you just asserted that the other helpful respondents to your thread work for Lexus dealers...?

That's an odd thing to say about people that are just sharing information and trying to be helpful.

I most certainly don't work at a Lexus dealer. Every car I own or have owned for the last 7 years is (or would have been) affected by this.

I can't get my Hondas/Acuras fixed just like these people can't get their Lexus fixed.

Like I've said in other threads, each person has to make an individual risk assessment and many will come to the conclusion that you did...that zero airbag risk is the only acceptable risk...

Unfortunately humans are pretty poor risk assessors so people are losing their minds over a risk that is much lower than the general risk of dying in a car accident...
Old 10-17-16, 10:47 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't work for a Lexus dealer. I'm going to assume though you work for an Audi dealer.
Old 10-17-16, 11:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jkayca
I don't work for a Lexus dealer. I'm going to assume though you work for an Audi dealer.
+1, and I hope he works for an Audi dealer so whenever it breaks down, at least he can hitch a ride with the tow truck back to work.
Old 10-19-16, 07:08 AM
Macklin
Advanced

While making an appointment to have my new dash installed tomorrow I asked for an update on the air bags. He said parts are due to arrive in bulk in December. Not sure if that is nationally or just this dealership.
Old 10-19-16, 09:09 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

That's good info. Thanks for sharing. I should call Honda/Acura about my cars.
Old 10-22-16, 06:09 AM
Macklin
Advanced

In further conversation with a different service writer, he indicated that there are no reports of an issue with Lexus air bags. And the bags we have are different than the ones that are 'problematic'. But because they are Tekata bags, Lexus is being proactive in the recall.

Can anybody's confirm this?

Quick Reply: Lexus ES350 Recall