ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Aftermarket remote start?

Old 09-24-16, 08:09 PM
fomenter
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket remote start?

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket remote start installed on my car. I don't want to lose "smart key" functionality but would like a remote start before winter comes. Any experience, suggestions on brands or service locations? Anybody regrets?

Thanks

Edit: the car is 09 es 350 with 128k if it matters.
Old 09-25-16, 03:08 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had mine for about a year now. Viper, I think. I wanted one that kept the OEM FOB and I didn't want to pay a monthly fee, just have the ability to start the car when it's cold/hot outside. Hit the lock button three times and you're good to go! Best Buy does it but I went with a local audio shop; think it was about $250 and 2 hours of shop time.

The only regret I have is not doing it 9 years ago.
Old 09-25-16, 05:09 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fomenter
Anybody regrets?
One caveat though; if you are familiar with the OEM remote start on most new cars where you start the car from you key FOB and then simply enter the car and push the button while the brake is applied, things work a bit differently with the aftermarket system. Your car will start a few seconds after hitting the lock button 3 times on your key OEM FOB. As you approach the car and grab the handle the car will shut off and you will need to enter the car, press the brake and hit the button like you would normally do. At first this was a bit off-putting to me but I've gotten used to it and it's really no big deal.
Old 09-25-16, 06:14 AM
fomenter
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. How is the range? Is it as same as the unlock button?

QUOTE=codejd;9629969]Had mine for about a year now. Viper, I think. I wanted one that kept the OEM FOB and I didn't want to pay a monthly fee, just have the ability to start the car when it's cold/hot outside. Hit the lock button three times and you're good to go! Best Buy does it but I went with a local audio shop; think it was about $250 and 2 hours of shop time.

The only regret I have is not doing it 9 years ago.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-26-16, 01:38 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Seems to be.
Old 09-26-16, 08:10 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=fomenter;9630020]Thanks. How is the range? Is it as same as the unlock button?

I have the Viper 4704 in a 2008 for 3 years now. Works very good and the range is quite substantial. I can be shopping in a shopping center and can start the vehicle at least 200 yards from the car. I haven`t tried it for longer distances. You can also tie it in with Bluetooth and make the distance unlimited. The 2 way fob tells you if you were successful at starting or not and it can be set to how long you want the engine to run before it shuts off. There are numerous programs you can reset yourself such as opening windows or moonroof etc. They have newer models now. I`ve been very happy with it. You get a charger with it and it tells you when the battery needs a recharge. Charge lasts about 3 weeks depending on how often you use your car. It works in conjunction with your OEM remote. I would definitely get an approved installer as you will need an additional module installed to communicate with you're ECM.
Old 09-26-16, 12:57 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Tetguy;9630870]

I have the Viper 4704 in a 2008 for 3 years now. Works very good and the range is quite substantial. I can be shopping in a shopping center and can start the vehicle at least 200 yards from the car. I haven`t tried it for longer distances. You can also tie it in with Bluetooth and make the distance unlimited. The 2 way fob tells you if you were successful at starting or not and it can be set to how long you want the engine to run before it shuts off. There are numerous programs you can reset yourself such as opening windows or moonroof etc. They have newer models now. I`ve been very happy with it. You get a charger with it and it tells you when the battery needs a recharge. Charge lasts about 3 weeks depending on how often you use your car. It works in conjunction with your OEM remote. I would definitely get an approved installer as you will need an additional module installed to communicate with you're ECM.
Two way FOB is awesome. These systems have really come a long way.
Old 09-26-16, 04:43 PM
fomenter
Driver School Candidate

Will be a long shot, but anybody knows a good shop who can install remote start in detroit area ( i can travel within 100 miles)

[QUOTE=Blue Moose Engineering;9631223]
Originally Posted by Tetguy

Two way FOB is awesome. These systems have really come a long way.
Old 09-27-16, 04:43 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

[QUOTE=fomenter;9631489]Will be a long shot, but anybody knows a good shop who can install remote start in detroit area ( i can travel within 100 miles)

Either look in the yellow pages for "stereo installation" or search google for "stereo installation Detroit". Almost all of these places will sell and install a remote starter for you.
Old 10-05-16, 10:38 AM
fomenter
Driver School Candidate

Another question about remote starter: I purchased the units today and will have them installed on friday. The remote range is up to 3000 ft ( 2 way).

I'm on the second floor of the apartment and my car stays under car port (500 feet max). However, i can't see the car from windows unless I put my head out to window, then I may see it. . In such case the remote will still work? (range wise it seems ok, but I'm suspecting that concrete buildings will block the signals

Any experience?

Thanks
Old 10-05-16, 11:24 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you use your phone to start it? If so, then I imagine it will work. If you can start your car from over half a mile away then I cant see how it wouldn't work from a few hundred feet.
Old 10-05-16, 11:33 AM
fomenter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blue Moose Engineering
Do you use your phone to start it? If so, then I imagine it will work. If you can start your car from over half a mile away then I cant see how it wouldn't work from a few hundred feet.

No phone start (it is available for subscription, but don't want to pay $$) . 2 way remote start.
Old 10-05-16, 02:02 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another question about remote starter: I purchased the units today and will have them installed on friday. The remote range is up to 3000 ft ( 2 way).

I'm on the second floor of the apartment and my car stays under car port (500 feet max). However, i can't see the car from windows unless I put my head out to window, then I may see it. . In such case the remote will still work? (range wise it seems ok, but I'm suspecting that concrete buildings will block the signals

Any experience?

Thanks
My experience seems to show that the amount of steel structure rather than concrete between you and the vehicle would make a greater impact but I could be wrong. They both could be detrimental. Your installer may have more experience and be able to help you there. I`m very happy with mine. As I stated above, I hope you purchased a module as well.
Old 10-07-16, 05:44 PM
fomenter
Driver School Candidate

Update: i got it installed today,so far so good. It works well from my apartment.

Bestbuy geek squad installed it with no issues with lifetime warranty. He was really professional and explained procedures step by step.
The following users liked this post:
mimranbeig (10-19-19)
Old 10-08-16, 05:21 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

No phone start (it is available for subscription, but don't want to pay $$) . 2 way remote start.

Update: i got it installed today,so far so good. It works well from my apartment.

Bestbuy geek squad installed it with no issues with lifetime warranty. He was really professional and explained procedures step by step.
Good deal, enjoy! I also went with the 2-way start to avoid the monthly fee.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start?