2011 ES350 Stereo Upgrade - keeping OEM head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 09:22 AM
Twdll
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 ES350 Stereo Upgrade - keeping OEM head unit

HOWDY.
I have just purchased a 2011 ES 350 (Non ML with Nav) and obviously, the stock system sucks, eh... I mean em... is inferior to the Mark Levinson upgrade.
I am curious if anyone knew or would know the answers to these questions?
1. First, does anyone happen to know if it is possible to replace the stock Pioneer amplifier with a used ML amplifier?
Is it "plug and play? I read that Club Lexus user "lexusaudio" stated that it is indeed "plug and play", unplug one, and plug the other in, but I couldn't find much info on switching them, or if it was even a good idea to do so, or just go another route.
2. Secondly, I was curious about upgrading the speakers all around. Would it not be possible to purchase a couple of 8-ohm 6x9's (for the front doors, using adapters), a couple 8-ohm 3" tweets (dash) and a couple of 8-ohm 6.5 for the back doors (using adapters)?
Even if the amplifier is used to playing to 6-ohms speakers. (I think that the higher ohms means less stress on the amp, but also less power.)
I would not use an Infinite Baffle subwoofer in the back either. I think the best route is to use an aftermarket sub, with another amp.

Thanks.

Last edited by Twdll; 09-11-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 01:50 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 08 with non nav non ml. Honestly, for what it's worth - I added a JL sub + amp + AudioControl LC2i. Putting the stock post-amplifier speaker wiring into the sub amp itself resulted in a very low signal; the LC2i cleaned this right up

I would love to have some more ability to customize the sound (equalization - the mid-highs are almost screaming in this car), but for most things I listen to it does a much better job than any other non-customized car setup I've had. i have had a pair of component JL speakers sitting in my garage for >1 year, but haven't gotten around to tearing it apart yet... I figure since I usually sit up front, I was only going to invest in getting those ones done. The rear door panel speakers are really just to fill in (potentially not full range from what I've heard elsewhere around here).
Old 09-13-16, 05:24 PM
Twdll
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing some research alot on ClubLexus and a few other sites, and here's what Ive learned since I posted this thread. It seems the best route is NOT to get the ML amp (as I've seen countless threads about getting them repaired) and replace the stock speakers with aftermarket ones.
To do that (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), we would have to add a processor... something like the AudioControl LC7I or LCQI, added Post Amp. This would work the best bang for your buck.
Then I could (in theory) hook up my two amps, and the rest of my aftermarket speakers (an entirely different discussion) still have all the normal functions in the cars climate, Nav, and Stereo.
I could also leave the wires connected to the center channel speaker connected to the stock amp and still hear the Nav Voice Guidance from it.
All of this is predicated on the two words... In theory.