ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I just bought a 2008 ES 350 with 75k from a dealer and I need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 06:36 AM
BJMonty28
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I just bought a 2008 ES 350 with 75k from a dealer and I need HELP!!!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and a new to owning a Lexus. I bought a 2008 ES 350 from a Toyota dealer in NJ. Car has 75k on it and the 1st week I drove it the car was a dream ride. 1 week, annnnddddd the trouble started. I have owned many cars and trucks and have done the work myself, I figured since this is the 1st car I bought from a legit dealership I would let them do the work since I also purchased the extended 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. One week into it, only putting on 189 miles, the transmission started making a noise, like a humming noise, I asked the dealership and it and they stated that it was a normal noise, so 60 more miles and being on the highway I notice pressing the gas and letting it go in traffic, that the car didn't just flow, it kind of jerked and started slowing down a little like it was a stick shift car, as well as when I was trying to merge into traffic at one point and I stepped on it hard the car didn't just pick up and go... IT LAGGED!!!... AND A ****ING TRUCK ALMOST SMASHED US WITH MY WIFE AND KIDS IN THE CAR!!!... So I stop by the dealer and explained everything and they tell me I probably used regular gas instead of the super or ultimate that the car should be used and I told him that all I use (Super-Ultimate) and showed him the receipts. I am then told that they would look into it and when they car back after 1.5 hrs, I'm told there is nothing wrong with the car... now I'm like **** My Life!!!... I start doing research and see that "The Manufacture" stated the transmission should be touched until 100k miles and the drive train coverage ended at 70k... I have never in my life let the transmission ever go that long without changing the fluid. The dealership isn't going to do anything until 100k, and I can't find any shop to do it because its sealed... SO SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!... LET ME KNOW IF ITS JUST ME OR THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE!!!... LET ME KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO OR WHAT I CAN DO!!!... I had someone tell me to look for the TSIB number but I don't know what that is!!!... PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 08-22-16, 06:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Welcome to CL. Using regular gas had nothing to do with your transmisson issues. It sounds like your trans is failing, or at least needs a fluid exchange.

If you do some searching here and even look a few threads down on the main page, you will see that many people have changed the transmission fluid on this vehicle. Many Toyota and Lexus dealers will do a transmission fluid exchange. However, some dealers refuse to do this and cite the old sealed trans nonsense.

However it appears you have larger problems in that the dealer is attempting to deny warranty coverage. You probably have transmission issues that should be covered by the extended warranty. I would see if your extended warranty lets you go to a different dealer. I would see a different dealer anyway just to get another opinion. You may also try contacting Toyota or Lexus customer service directly to complain about the dealer.

Finally you may be needing an attorney to threaten them if they continue to deny warranty coverage. it appears your vehicle is one year too old for coverage under the NJ used car lemon law http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...used-cars.html
Old 08-22-16, 08:18 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

I would change oil and the filter but I think that is not the case. Read the codes first.
Old 08-22-16, 09:26 AM
jbalian
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my 2 cents, I own a 2007, I changed the tranny fluid at the dealership at around 80k miles, never had jerking on the highway before or after... the only rare times it gets stuck is during the super cold canadian winters until the car warms up a bit (never on the highways)... oh and there's no humming noise from the tranny, so what you're going through is not normal...
Old 08-22-16, 09:26 AM
BJMonty28
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, I feel that its definitely a trans problem, and the dealer doesn't want to deal with it. I will definitely look over the warranty coverage because the dealer I bought the car from is telling me there is nothing wrong with the car. I will keep you updated... thank you again

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Welcome to CL. Using regular gas had nothing to do with your transmisson issues. It sounds like your trans is failing, or at least needs a fluid exchange.

If you do some searching here and even look a few threads down on the main page, you will see that many people have changed the transmission fluid on this vehicle. Many Toyota and Lexus dealers will do a transmission fluid exchange. However, some dealers refuse to do this and cite the old sealed trans nonsense.

However it appears you have larger problems in that the dealer is attempting to deny warranty coverage. You probably have transmission issues that should be covered by the extended warranty. I would see if your extended warranty lets you go to a different dealer. I would see a different dealer anyway just to get another opinion. You may also try contacting Toyota or Lexus customer service directly to complain about the dealer.

Finally you may be needing an attorney to threaten them if they continue to deny warranty coverage. it appears your vehicle is one year too old for coverage under the NJ used car lemon law http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...used-cars.html
Old 08-22-16, 09:28 AM
BJMonty28
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, the dealer I bought the car from says that it isn't suppose to be touched until 100k, and they will not touch it until then but also told me that there is nothing wrong, that thats the way the car runs

Originally Posted by jbalian
Here's my 2 cents, I own a 2007, I changed the tranny fluid at the dealership at around 80k miles, never had jerking on the highway before or after... the only rare times it gets stuck is during the super cold canadian winters until the car warms up a bit (never on the highways)... oh and there's no humming noise from the tranny, so what you're going through is not normal...
Old 08-22-16, 09:33 AM
Clutchless

If you call around to other Toyota or Lexus dealers, you will find one that will do a transmission fluid exchange a/k/a flush for between about $200 and $300. The high price is because it involves a complicated fluid level adjustment procedure dreamed up by evil Japanese engineers to prevent owners from working on their own cars and bring higher profits to their dealers. It also requires Toyota WS ATF or one of a few compatible synthetic ATFs that are low viscosity.
It may be worth your investment to pay out of pocket for the transmission flush to see what happens. If you read the owners manual, it has some statement about under severe service or towing to do the transmission service at 60,000 miles. I know it says that for the RX350 which has the same transmission.

It just occurred to me that you should investigate this dealer and check if they offer a transmission flush on their website. If it has no information, I would call under the pretext you are someone else and ask about such a service for your 2008 Camry V6, (same engine and transmission)and if they offer such a service for a fee, then you know they are just avoiding doing warranty work.

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-22-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 09:39 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know much about these cars in general, so I defer to the veteran members, but I think there may be some rush to judgment about the root cause. The phenomenon you are describing could be caused by many things, and not necessarily a transmission. Like some have said, a second opinion, perhaps form an independent shop, could prove very valuable.
Old 08-23-16, 06:14 AM
Clutchless

I agree with Blue Moose Engineering, often engine problems will manifest themselves by what appears to be a transmission problem. You need the vehicle checked out by a reliable independent shop or a different Toyota/Lexus dealer to get at the root of this problem. It is too early mileage wise for this transmission to usually have these issues, even without ever having a fluid change.
Old 08-25-16, 05:00 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm pretty sure the maintenance schedule says to change ATF fluid 50K or 60K under sever duty, like towing. So, tell the dealer you tow.

But, to blame your near accident on low octane gas shows the dealer mechs are jerks. Our ES350 has never seen mid or high octane gas and it has never done anything like you describe.
Old 08-26-16, 02:09 PM
Clutchless

It could be as simple as a clogged air filter.
Old 08-26-16, 02:24 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to any Aamco transmission shop and tell them you might have an transmission issue. They have a more advanced scanner (multiple chips) that they can use to read some additional info. They can check for any pending codes etc. Its free. Sometimes it might have just been due to battery not holding charge causing some tranny symptoms, tune up, dirty throttle body, clogged filter, etc. A few simple checks to do first before considering a full tranny issue. I had to replace my honda tranny before so that is the last thing to consider.

Also run some techron concentrate in your gas tank just to clean out a bit. Anything low cost first.

Edit: While its possible, these cars run forever with some good care. People buy these with over 200K and run more. Might need some initial care and checks. Hope you get this resolved. Such reliable cars in general.