ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Mystery Shushing Sound from Dash/Vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 09:49 AM
ctobola
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Shushing Sound from Dash/Vents

A few weeks ago, I found myself driving my 2007 ES 350 on an a soft/sandy, unmaintained road in rural Nebraska.

As I drove, I hit puddle three or four feet across and maybe five inches deep. My feet were immediately hit with muddy water than came from under the dash -- probably a cup or two.

Shortly after that, I noticed a shushing sound (almost like a person imitating a snake) coming through the dash vents. The sound increases as I accelerate up to about 40 mph, but fades quickly as I let my off the gas.

My mechanic has checked tires, brakes, vacuum hoses and he notes that there is nothing in the computer read-out to indicate a problem. He can also hear the noise, but cannot locate it.

I don't know if the puddle/water incident were related, or just coincidence. The puddle was a bit of a bump, but I was going slow and the road was soft so it didn't feel like a hard impact.

Any suggestions on trouble-shooting would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-16, 12:14 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

You hear that noise with AC on?
Old 08-22-16, 06:35 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Did he clean out the A/C drain hose? Usually it is when they get clogged that water accumulates in the dash vents. I have seen it build up enough that when you went around corners it would pour out of the vents at each end, depending if you turned left or right.
Old 08-22-16, 08:32 AM
ctobola
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
You hear that noise with AC on?
LjeksesES, The sound does seem to be easier to hear when the AC is on... but it occurs even when the AC is completely off.
Old 08-22-16, 08:37 AM
ctobola
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Did he clean out the A/C drain hose? Usually it is when they get clogged that water accumulates in the dash vents. I have seen it build up enough that when you went around corners it would pour out of the vents at each end, depending if you turned left or right.
Clutchless, My mechanic suggested that as well, but after he poked around a bit, he didn't think it was the issue since it does not explain the noise.

It's construction season here, and I've driven on a lot rougher roads and I've never seen water under the dash.

Personally, I think that a duct or line through the firewall was knocked loose by the water (hence my feet getting wet), but now I'm hearing engine noise through that opening that was not evident before. Is that possible?
Old 08-22-16, 09:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Have you accessed the cabin air filter to see if there is water in the housing or if it is clogged? It is easy to get at through the glove box.
Did your mechanic put it on a lift? That is the only way to inspect if something broke a seal to allow water access.

I do not think there are any air intakes that low to be affected by driving over a puddle. Even going through a car wash will not create your situation.

I would check the cabin filter and blow compressed air through the A/C drain tube to be sure it was clear.
Old 08-24-16, 04:12 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

If you hear engine noise through the vents, you should check the foam/grommet which goes around the metal ac hoses.

Old 08-26-16, 02:34 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From post 5, there is a hose that might have come loose but not by water. Maybe accidentally pulling it if something got stuck. You can see a clear tube under dash from driver side. I almost pulled on that once while untangling a wire.

As for water build up, it can come out near footwell under carpet (pass side). Do a search on this forum or in toyotanation. You will see many of these, slush/gurgle/etc. You can stick a long coat hanger through the a/c drain hose under car and watch if water comes out.

It could also be that there is a water bottle somewhere under seat or in center arm rest. (Dont ask me how I know, yes a duh moment one time).