ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Still the best riding car

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 07:55 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Still the best riding car

We just came back from a long weekend attending a wedding in Gloucester Ma. This was all highway driving (75-80 mph) on very good roads. This 2010 with 43K miles on it is still the most comfortable and quiet car I've ever had. Smooth ride and very little cabin noise. It was an 85* weekend and sunny but not a problem with the AC and the sound system running. A little over 3 hrs one way and to beat all it still got 30 mph. As I get closer to the 50K mark where I'll sell the car it will be a difficult decision as to what I will replace it with. I'm not to keen on the face lifted front grill on the newer model but just like voting I may have to swallow hard and take the step. Most of the other cars in it's class have a stiffer suspension which could be OK but it won't be as soft. So when the time comes we'll see what's out there.
Old 08-09-16, 10:44 PM
glostix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah no secret the 5th gen ES is smoother riding than the current model. We test drove the new one and skipped it, decided on a GS actually because the ES just felt so cheapened with low quality materials, pleather, harsher ride, etc.

Dunno if it's the inevitable trend of capitalism (cheaper goods, cut corners, etc.) or if it's the trend towards more "sporty" Lexuses, but the same has been true of the current LS compared to a couple generations ago.

What other cars on the market can compare? Hesitant to branch out to the Germans because of their questionable reliability.
Old 08-10-16, 05:06 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by glostix
Yeah no secret the 5th gen ES is smoother riding than the current model. We test drove the new one and skipped it, decided on a GS actually because the ES just felt so cheapened with low quality materials, pleather, harsher ride, etc.

Dunno if it's the inevitable trend of capitalism (cheaper goods, cut corners, etc.) or if it's the trend towards more "sporty" Lexuses, but the same has been true of the current LS compared to a couple generations ago.

What other cars on the market can compare? Hesitant to branch out to the Germans because of their questionable reliability.
The old ES was built on the Camry chassis while the new ES is built on the Avalon chassis so I would have to compare the ride. The GS in my opinion is much stiffer ride so I wouldn't try to compare it with the Camry based ES series. My criteria is smooth , quiet , comfortable for ride and outside design . If I have to look into the GS type platforms that puts me into MB , Audi , BMW , Jaguar , Lincoln and others in that range. I may have to settle for a little firmer ride. Handling and performance is not a factor as all cars fit into my driving style .
Old 08-10-16, 07:19 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 647 Posts

ES GSV40 is one of the most comfortable and silent cars on the road.
Old 08-10-16, 11:24 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I wish the suspension was a tad tighter but overall the ride quality is good.
Old 08-10-16, 02:09 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 647 Posts

I wish it was even softer.
Old 08-10-16, 02:32 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jagtoes
We just came back from a long weekend attending a wedding in Gloucester Ma. This was all highway driving (75-80 mph) on very good roads. This 2010 with 43K miles on it is still the most comfortable and quiet car I've ever had. Smooth ride and very little cabin noise. It was an 85* weekend and sunny but not a problem with the AC and the sound system running. A little over 3 hrs one way and to beat all it still got 30 mph. As I get closer to the 50K mark where I'll sell the car it will be a difficult decision as to what I will replace it with. I'm not to keen on the face lifted front grill on the newer model but just like voting I may have to swallow hard and take the step. Most of the other cars in it's class have a stiffer suspension which could be OK but it won't be as soft. So when the time comes we'll see what's out there.
why would you sell it with 50K miles. It's barely broken in. Just my two cents.
Old 08-10-16, 02:44 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexi66
why would you sell it with 50K miles. It's barely broken in. Just my two cents.
My answer is because I want to.
Old 08-10-16, 04:45 PM
kfboone
Driver School Candidate

Maybe Hyundai Genesis. Consumer reports actually rates Hyundai Azera one point higher than the Genesis, and about equal to the new es 350. 100,000 mile warranty.
Old 08-10-16, 05:47 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
I wish it was even softer.
This. I just set my tire pressure to 28 psi and the right got just a little smoother.
Old 08-10-16, 10:51 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Try the 2017 ES when it comes out, maybe you'll like it.
Old 08-11-16, 05:24 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by kfboone
Maybe Hyundai Genesis. Consumer reports actually rates Hyundai Azera one point higher than the Genesis, and about equal to the new es 350. 100,000 mile warranty.
They may fit the bill although they are a little larger car then I'd want. I,m not in the market yet and may not hit 50K miles until 2018 so I'll do my homework then.
Old 08-11-16, 05:26 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by tayslexus
Try the 2017 ES when it comes out, maybe you'll like it.
It will be on my list but as I just mentioned I won't most likely hit 50K miles until 2018
Old 08-25-16, 10:36 PM
glostix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The old ES was built on the Camry chassis while the new ES is built on the Avalon chassis so I would have to compare the ride. The GS in my opinion is much stiffer ride so I wouldn't try to compare it with the Camry based ES series. My criteria is smooth , quiet , comfortable for ride and outside design . If I have to look into the GS type platforms that puts me into MB , Audi , BMW , Jaguar , Lincoln and others in that range. I may have to settle for a little firmer ride. Handling and performance is not a factor as all cars fit into my driving style .
We tested curent ES and GS and have a 5th gen ES. Current ES is much rougher ride than current GS. GS is smoother than the ES now (cuz they went cheap on the ES), only "comfort" value difference is GS has louder engine noise than ES, most likely intentional as GS is meant to be more sporty than ES, but as far as ride comfort, GS beats ES now.
Old 08-26-16, 12:37 AM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by glostix
We tested curent ES and GS and have a 5th gen ES. Current ES is much rougher ride than current GS. GS is smoother than the ES now (cuz they went cheap on the ES), only "comfort" value difference is GS has louder engine noise than ES, most likely intentional as GS is meant to be more sporty than ES, but as far as ride comfort, GS beats ES now.
Actually I'd have to disagree with you. I used to have an 07 ES and now I have an 08 GS 350 AWD. The ES was much softer ride. I also drove the 15 ES, 14 GS and the 16 ES. The 16 ES is the softer ride I've ever driven to date, even softer than the 15 ES. I don't know how they did this, but honestly it was very comfortable car. Especially with the 17' wheels and the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. The ES has been and will always be softer ride than the GS. But the GS is more refined car.

Quick Reply: Still the best riding car