2007 ES350 - Broken Window Clip - Problem and Solution w/ Lots of Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 03:52 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Put them on ebay, I'll take 4 pieces.
In order to avoid violating the forum terms prior to getting vendor status, I'll PM you.
Old 08-13-16, 08:07 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Put them on ebay, I'll take 4 pieces.
Okaaay, I'm legit now!

I'm preparing my official introduction and a detailed featured how-to post, but in the meantime, consider this my soft intro.

Admittedly, I may be a little late to the party, but, I know that this is still happening to a lot of cars, and most of them are outside of the warranty period. In addition to fixing my father-in-law's car, I've sold two repair kits to people who were just browsing eBay looking for a solution.

If your window clip is broken I'm selling a complete repair kit that includes:
  • Aluminum replacement clip (see photos below)
  • a tube of the 3M adhesive
  • two razor blades
  • two alcohol wipes
  • 10 pages of detailed instructions (mostly photos)

Note: There are two clips on each window...one toward the front and one toward the back. I make both. Typically only the font clip breaks but about 10% of the time it seems the rear does also.

Check out my website and PM or email me if you want to talk.

I think this clip is a really great little product, but I know it has a life span. Eventually the majority of these cars will be fixed one way or another. With that in mind, I'm always looking for the next niche. If you have an idea for a part that you want or need, but just can't find, let's talk. You probably aren't the only one.

I like to help people solve problems so I'll be cruising around participating in threads where I think I can add value.

Thanks again for reading,

Rich

Last edited by Blue Moose Engineering; 09-16-16 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-13-16, 08:28 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

FYI I redesigned the part from the original prototype to add some support in the corners. You can see it has this nice sweeping radius now. Also the finish will be raw, and not sandblasted like the parts in the original post.

http://bluemooseengineering.com

Last edited by Blue Moose Engineering; 09-16-16 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-13-16, 10:30 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This part failed on my '07 almost exactly 2 years ago (8/11/14), with only 37951 miles. My mom owned the car at the time, and since I live over 500 miles away, she had no choice but to have the local dealer repair it. Cost was $766, the window part was $503!
Old 08-13-16, 10:42 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KLF
This part failed on my '07 almost exactly 2 years ago (8/11/14), with only 37951 miles. My mom owned the car at the time, and since I live over 500 miles away, she had no choice but to have the local dealer repair it. Cost was $766, the window part was $503!
Yes...but no! That's such a bummer.

In case you didn't read the whole thread, I started this project because my father-in-law's broke a couple months ago.

My in-laws have been incredibly generous to my wife and I so I always try to help him with stuff like this whenever I can. We did all the research and realized that we had two options: Make the part or pay the dealer $400 (they weren't going to charge labor).

The more reading that I did the more I realized that there might be a need for a part like this, and since we have two Haas VF2s at work, I figured I'd go for it.

Also, it's incredible that you had a 7 year old car with less than 40k miles.
Old 08-15-16, 06:39 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car has only 43000 miles now, but it's had a tough life. Mom wasn't the best driver. Rear bumper cover has been replaced twice, and now there's a big dinger in the front bumper cover, plus a huge scratch in the rear quarter. It's going to a body shop in a couple of weeks to get it looking new again.
Old 08-15-16, 08:20 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KLF
Car has only 43000 miles now, but it's had a tough life. Mom wasn't the best driver. Rear bumper cover has been replaced twice, and now there's a big dinger in the front bumper cover, plus a huge scratch in the rear quarter. It's going to a body shop in a couple of weeks to get it looking new again.
Ouch rough
Old 08-17-16, 10:32 AM
AbeFromann
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious if anyone with this issue had any indicators that this piece/window was going to fail? I have a 2010 and notice a rattle when I close my door and the window is open or fully down; no noise when the windows is fully up.
Thanks!
Old 08-17-16, 10:52 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AbeFromann
I'm curious if anyone with this issue had any indicators that this piece/window was going to fail? I have a 2010 and notice a rattle when I close my door and the window is open or fully down; no noise when the windows is fully up.
Thanks!
That's not a bad question. I think this might be the kind of thing that is fine until it isn't, so a rattle or window malfunction is a sign that something has gone wrong. Your rattle may be nothing. The only way to know is to take the door panel off and look. Typically the window will have problems opening and closing as well.

Check out my latest blog post for a walk-through of the diagnosis and a link to a .pdf with detailed instructions:

https://bluemooseengineering.com/201...broken-window/

Last edited by Blue Moose Engineering; 08-20-16 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 11:50 AM
AbeFromann
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Moose Engineering
That's not a bad question. I think this might be the kind of thing that is fine until it isn't, so a rattle or window malfunction is a sign that something has gone wrong. Your rattle may be nothing. The only way to know is to take the door panel off and look. Typically the window will have problems opening and closing as well.

Check out my latest blog post for a walk-through of the diagnosis and a link to a word doc with detailed instructions:

https://bluemooseengineering.com/201...broken-window/
Thank you very much! I will read through the information on the link.
Old 08-20-16, 10:34 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

UPDATE

I've reduced the kit price to and therefore the Club Lexus member price as well. PM me for a PayPal button to purchase the part at the member price.

Just a reminder, the kit comes with:
  • One clip
  • Tube of 3M adhesive
  • 2 razor blades
  • 2 alcohol wipes
  • 2 latex gloves
  • 11 pages of instructions

I've been toying with selling the clip alone at a reduced price but I'm concerned that people would try to use the wrong adhesive and would take other shortcuts, and the repair wouldn't come out properly...Not sure yet, but I think I could be talked into it.

Cheers

Rich
http://www.bluemooseengineering.com

Last edited by Blue Moose Engineering; 08-21-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 08:19 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Engineers speak alike to solve problems

I enjoyed reading this thread even though I don't have a 5ES (yet).

Did you care by any chance to run an FEA on the OE component to see exactly where the failure occurs? lol
Old 08-27-16, 08:23 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Engineers speak alike to solve problems
It just comes naturally to some people

I enjoyed reading this thread even though I don't have a 5ES (yet).

Did you care by any chance to run an FEA on the OE component to see exactly where the failure occurs? lol
I see your lol so I get the feeling that that's a joke but I'm not sure because I've met engineers who have no sense of the practical!

Anyway, I don't even have access to that kind of software right now
Old 09-16-16, 09:56 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Update for anyone that's interested:

I'm offering a number of new packages and pricing, which means you can squash this problem once and for all in the most economical way possible.

My first month and a half went well and about 30 people decided that this was the right way to fix their car. A number of those people bought packages to fix both windows or both clips on one window, which is a great idea for peace of mind.

Remember, generally, most people only need one front clip per window to fix the problem. The rear clip breaks in about 10% of cars that I've seen. Check out the image below for a good visual.

Remember, these are complete repair kits with adhesive, instructions, and everything else you need to do the job right.

PM me for Club Lexus member discount pricing.

15% OFF - Purchase TWO FRONT clips – one for the window that’s broken now, and one for when your other window breaks

15% OFF - Buy the front and rear clip together and never worry about your window again

http://bluemooseengineering.com

Last edited by Blue Moose Engineering; 09-17-16 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 10:00 AM
wscclark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger window clip broke out of the blue several months back. I was frustrated after having searched this forum for solutions, finding nothing other than an expensive window replacement. I shimmed the window and carried on. When the shims failed I decided I could not bear the humiliation of duct taping my otherwise perfectly functional car. I searched again and found this solution. Suffice to say my problem is solved. If you have this problem, get this part. Easy 30 minute fix, great instructions. Rich is a first class guy too.

I have no affiliation with Blue Moose Engineering other than as a user of the product. Created this account to provide this feedback.

Quick Reply: 2007 ES350 - Broken Window Clip - Problem and Solution w/ Lots of Pictures