ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Parking Brake cables

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 05:12 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake cables

Hello everyone, I've an 07 ES and it has a problem with the parking brakes since I bought the car back in 2014. The right rear tire would make a loud noise when I used to apply them and when I put the car in drive without applying the gas pedal the car moves but the rear right tire does not. I stopped applying the parking brakes for a while now and the car seems not to make any noise anymore and the tires moves fine as normal. I just came back from the dealer and they told me the problem is the parking brake cables on both sides. They also said it's not necessary to change the cables unless I apply the parking brake frequently which I do. They quoted me $800 (CAD) tax. in parts and labour. Around $330 parts and 4-5 hours labour. Do you guys have any clue about this, I don't think it's a common issue and it's quite rare but it seems that the previous owner rarely apply the brakes as this might cause problems with them. I'm trying to let my independent mechanic do the job as his hourly rate is half the dealer but I've to buy the parts though.

Last edited by tayslexus; 06-29-16 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-28-16, 06:07 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tayslexus
Hello everyone, I've an 07 ES and it has a problem with the parking brakes since I bought the car back in 2014. The right rear tire would make a loud noise when I used to apply them and when I put the car in drive without applying the gas pedal the car moves but the rear right tire does not. I stopped applying the parking brakes for a while now and the car seems not make any noise anymore and the tires moves fine as normal. I just came back from the dealer and they told me the problem is the parking brake cables on both sides. They told me it's not necessary to change them unless I apply them frequently which I do. They quotes me $800 (CAD) tax. in parts and labour. Around $330 parts and 4-5 hours labour. Do you guys have any idea about this, I don't think it's a common issue and it's quite rare but it seems that the previous owner rarely apply the brakes as this might cause problems with them. I'm trying to let my independent mechanic do the job as his hourly rate is half the dealer but I've to buy the parts though.
Replacing the cables should be easy but I suspect they are concerned about the brake mechanism as it might be frozen. By the way I have never used my parking brake and I bought my car new in 2010..
Old 06-29-16, 05:30 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Replacing the cables should be easy but I suspect they are concerned about the brake mechanism as it might be frozen. By the way I have never used my parking brake and I bought my car new in 2010..
I assumed that too. But how you've never used your parking brake? even when you park on a hill? that will allow some of the car weight to push on the parking pawl. Unless the parking pawl never fails that's another story.
Old 06-29-16, 05:47 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

there is an adjusting mechanism on the parking brakes, perhaps that all thats needed. send me ur email address and ill send u the pdfs on the parking brake for your amusment
Old 06-29-16, 06:17 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tayslexus
I assumed that too. But how you've never used your parking brake? even when you park on a hill? that will allow some of the car weight to push on the parking pawl. Unless the parking pawl never fails that's another story.
The last car I used my handbrake (parking brake) was in my 1966 Jag XKE when I broke a front rotor. The handbrake was the only way to stop. With all of my manual transmission cars I would park it in 1st gear. With all of the auto boxes just put it in park. So looking at my data I've never had a failure in almost 60 years and many cars.
Old 07-01-16, 03:13 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by nevernu
there is an adjusting mechanism on the parking brakes, perhaps that all thats needed. send me ur email address and ill send u the pdfs on the parking brake for your amusment
Sure thing. Thank you very much, I'll study it and let my mechanic know about it.
Old 07-01-16, 03:16 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The last car I used my handbrake (parking brake) was in my 1966 Jag XKE when I broke a front rotor. The handbrake was the only way to stop. With all of my manual transmission cars I would park it in 1st gear. With all of the auto boxes just put it in park. So looking at my data I've never had a failure in almost 60 years and many cars.
Perhaps this is true and I'm just being too careful with the transmission being in park without the e-brakes. Thank you for your replies.
Old 07-04-16, 07:54 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

If you frequently use your parking, a frozen e-brake caliper is probably not the problem. It's when you don't use it, it can become a problem.

Most likely the cables have been stretched and need adjustment or replacing. The dealer will always charge you an arm and leg for this work. Try a local mechanic. The brake assembly on the ES is the same as the Camry. There's no special "Lexus" tools required or something.
Old 07-04-16, 09:38 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

tayslexus did u see the pdfs i linked you to? The link expired in 24 hrs. if not ill resend another
Old 07-05-16, 04:11 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jkayca
If you frequently use your parking, a frozen e-brake caliper is probably not the problem. It's when you don't use it, it can become a problem.

Most likely the cables have been stretched and need adjustment or replacing. The dealer will always charge you an arm and leg for this work. Try a local mechanic. The brake assembly on the ES is the same as the Camry. There's no special "Lexus" tools required or something.
This is very true, thank you jkayca. I'll buy the parts soon from the dealer and let my mechanic do the job.
Old 07-05-16, 04:18 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by nevernu
tayslexus did u see the pdfs i linked you to? The link expired in 24 hrs. if not ill resend another
Yes my mechanic already checked the e-brakes and he tried to adjust them. He even changed the front and rear shoes on both sides but no luck.