ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

New Owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 03:04 PM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Owner with a few questions

Just picked up a 2007 ES350 a couple of days ago with 110k on it. I've been doing a lot of reading the past 2 days and have a couple of questions. Please feel free to comment on the following. I want to make sure that I don't miss something.

Do the engine covers serve any purpose? I've removed them (including the silver one) and would like to leave them off except for the front one over the radiator. I can't find this answer anywhere.

Have no idea what oil has been used. I know that fresh Dino is in there now. I plan on replacing that tomorrow with Mobile 1 extended performance 0w-20 and filter. Same oil I use in my Prius Plug-in although I use Toyota filters in the plug-in. Comments on this?

Since there are no records I think it might be a good idea to change the brake fluid (flush), coolant (flush), power steering fluid, transmission fluid (drain, not flush) with filter, and plugs. Anything else?

Changed the cabin and engine air filters today.

Doesn't appear to be any coolant leaks. Don't know if the water pump has been replaced but I do know that the oil coolant line problem (?) has been fixed.

The dash appears to have a very small crack in it. I did notice today that sitting in the sun the dash gets very tacky and soft to the touch. Should I take it to Lexus and get on a list or does it have to be bad before I can do that?

I'm going to change the oil but I'm going to have my independent mechanic do all of the other service. I know he doesn't use toyota fluids. He uses fluids that meet specs. Any potential problems with this? I know my Prius needs WS transmission fluid only but that's because it's designed for the transaxle.
Old 05-22-16, 07:22 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you checked the lexus website for the maintenance records? You can enter the vin# there.
Old 05-22-16, 07:47 PM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Have you checked the lexus website for the maintenance records? You can enter the vin# there.
I have. I've also seen the carfax report. There are no regular maintenance records. I did find out about the hose fix so that was good to know. Everything appears like it was well kept.

Last fall it was rear ended and was totaled. Funny thing is that the accident report stated that the car was still drivable. Certainly doesn't take much to slap a salvage title on a car these days. The only thing not working is the park assist.

Car comes from Florida and when we put it up on a lift it was extremely clean underneath.
Old 05-22-16, 09:53 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Not sure about the engine covers. I actually like them. I removed the black plastic ones temporarily to put in a new battery and I got some grime in there from the road.

You'll probably hear different opinions on changing the ATF and switching to synthetic. I've switched all of my cars to synthetic without issue. I would also flush the atf and do so periodically after. FWIW, I've never heard of anyone on here losing their transmission over a flush. And when it comes to ATF, I always stick with oem. It's also a pain on this car as you have to have it warmed up to a specific temperature to do it or you'll be over or underfilled. Toyota does mine for about $240, but others have paid more. And don't forget to check for the timing cover leak that some of the 07s have (that's a huge bill if you choose to fix it ).

Good luck with the new ride!
Old 05-23-16, 06:35 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

on the sticky dash issue, check this out
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...placement.html
Old 05-23-16, 10:19 AM
jbalian
Rookie

keep on a eye on the coolant level because your waterpump might need to be replaced soon(replaced mine at 140k kms), there's no low level light indicator in the dash and the engine temperature doesn't work when there's no coolant left.
Old 05-23-16, 10:52 AM
wolzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you pay for your new car? Trying to sell mine with similar mileage..

Thanks
Old 05-23-16, 03:29 PM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jbalian
keep on a eye on the coolant level because your waterpump might need to be replaced soon(replaced mine at 140k kms), there's no low level light indicator in the dash and the engine temperature doesn't work when there's no coolant left.
Thank you, I've read a lot about that this past weekend.

Originally Posted by wolzy
How much did you pay for your new car? Trying to sell mine with similar mileage..

Thanks
Mine has a salvage title due to rear end damage. I paid $9k. Carmax has several with similar mileage for $13.5k - $14k.
Old 05-23-16, 11:58 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Oil coolant line problem? I think you mean the VVT-i Oil hose.

There is a recall on the dash.
http://www.toyota.com/recall
You can call them and see what your options are as a non-original owner.

A plug can be pulled to see if it's been replaced. OEM is NGK LFR6AIX-11

Steering fluid and brake fluid should be clear, not dark.

I don't believe in lifetime ATF; I flush every 70K. Will be doing 3rd flush soon. Using Valvoline MaxLife ATF on all my Toyota products, including two that call for WS.

Check/replace the alternator decoupler. Our's froze at 139K and fried the alternator. Gates recommends changing it at 100K. Minus well replace the serpentine belt while you're at it.

Our timing cover has the oil leak but it stopped when I started using 10/30 oil. Using Mobil 1 Extended (with Wix XP oil filters) and 10K oil changes. (Oil analysis shows oil good for another 2K+ miles.)

Check your brake pad lining.

Check the radiator hoses. If you replace them, consider replacing the thermostat.

Engine cover is for looks.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 05-24-16 at 12:03 AM.