ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007-2012 Lexus ES350 VSC light, Check Engine Light, & Explanation Lights on!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 09:36 PM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nevernu
TLPLEXUS notwithstanding local500s problem w his dealer, I would bring your car to your local dealer for resolution. Its usually not rocket science.
Pls do take your car to your nearest Mechanic Shop & do let me know what he will do to address this issue(Thx).

if it's not Rocket Science than why isn't Lexus have already solved this issue!

Last edited by Local500; 05-05-16 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 09:54 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

perhaps your issue and his issue are not the same
Old 05-06-16, 04:22 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds good. I live in Southern California so there are plenty of good shops for me to poke their brains (there are many bad shops here too). I noticed that generic codes like this can give even the sharpest guys a headache because they can point to multiple things.

I will circle back and update you guys once i have the time to get it check out.
Old 06-05-16, 06:35 AM
greyes350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local500 and tlplexus...guess what? I have the identical problem happen yesterday but my ES350 is a 2008 with 56,000 kms. I am going to rule out O2 sensors etc and odd physical damage. Guys PLEASE respond to if you are running the original battery? I suspect this is an issue with degraded batteries. My 2008 ES350 is running the original battery. I checked under the hood and the delivery wax coating is still on the battery. ( I picked up this car a few months ago)

Based on what I have read on this thread, I will replace my battery in the next couple of days as it is due anyways. On a parallel issue, odd freezing was happening to my cable modem with power line glitches...and a UPS has solved the problem. The battery on the car smooths out glitches as well and when old develops higher resistance and cannot smooth out power glitches fast enough and this can cause voltage fluctuation to the ECU and cause the reading on the sensors to be incorrect.
If not, then it is also possible that it is a faulty alternator BUT if we are all running old batteries....the problem might be there and I think it is.
Old 06-05-16, 11:08 AM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Greyes350, thanks for providing another alternative view on this. I have replaced my battery before and i am on my 3rd set of battery. Not sure if it is the battery though since i have replaced it about 1 year ago (and have also reset it).

The light turn itself off for a while but will always come back with the same code P0606. Just haven't had the time to let my mechanic take a look yet since i can drive it without any loss of power or experienced higher gas consumption. I will, however, take a more serious approach when my car is due for smog (since CEL is a no no for smog checks).

I will try to locate a better code reader and see what else it can pinpoint me to look.

Did yours clear after you clean up your battery?

Originally Posted by greyes350
Local500 and tlplexus...guess what? I have the identical problem happen yesterday but my ES350 is a 2008 with 56,000 kms. I am going to rule out O2 sensors etc and odd physical damage. Guys PLEASE respond to if you are running the original battery? I suspect this is an issue with degraded batteries. My 2008 ES350 is running the original battery. I checked under the hood and the delivery wax coating is still on the battery. ( I picked up this car a few months ago)

Based on what I have read on this thread, I will replace my battery in the next couple of days as it is due anyways. On a parallel issue, odd freezing was happening to my cable modem with power line glitches...and a UPS has solved the problem. The battery on the car smooths out glitches as well and when old develops higher resistance and cannot smooth out power glitches fast enough and this can cause voltage fluctuation to the ECU and cause the reading on the sensors to be incorrect.
If not, then it is also possible that it is a faulty alternator BUT if we are all running old batteries....the problem might be there and I think it is.
Old 06-06-16, 05:56 PM
greyes350
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my battery today, problem reappears. I need to get the auto to a scanner now. The P0606 code is going to be a problem especially if it is erratic. When replacing O2 sensors, you should always reuse the OEM, if it is denso, reuse only denso.

Take a look at this
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/p0606...ecm-brian-mann

After resetting mine twice, I note that the light will not come on immediately or even when the car is running. Only when the car is restarted, then it will return after a brief run time. On mine, I have to think this leads me to suspect that it is an O2 sensor and it is only when the engine goes into closed loop after it has heated up. When the engine is cold, the O2 works well enough after the engine has warmed up slowly. When restarted, the engine temp is high and then will allow the engine to revert back to closed loop quickly before the O2 is actually ready... an old lazy O2. I'm hoping so.
Old 06-10-16, 12:34 PM
greyes350
Driver School Candidate

I purchased an OBD2 reader from Amazon for less than $30. I like to have info before I see a mechanic/shop.

As I thought, it is an O2 sensor starting to die. So I purchased a couple of them for bank 2 and one way or the other it will be fixed. Why? When I priced out the Denso O2 sensor, it's actually cheaper to purchase a backup, get both changed and not return to the shop if the first time is wrong. I'll pay the extra to make sure I don't need to go back. I'll keep the OBD2 reader in the dash or trunk, it's small light and it works. If I get a light at anytime, I'll figure out if it is serious or if I can continue a while. The interesting thing is that it is entirely possible to have the codes directed to the audio sytem if Lexus wanted. The processing and memory required to output codes is literally peanuts.
Old 06-14-16, 01:20 PM
greyes350
Driver School Candidate

Replaced sensors. Good now.
Old 07-12-16, 10:23 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by greyes350
Replaced sensors. Good now.
Greyes350, I left the original code P0606 on without erasing it. Left the car in my garage for over 2 weeks while I went on vacation. Restarted the car yesterday and it threw 4 codes. One is P0159 and it is referring the B2S2 of the O2 sensor. Another code refers to the CAT system to be faulty. Can't remember the other 2.

As you know, I have been living with the P0606 codes for a while so I finally brought it to my nearby mechanic for him to take a look. Used him once for an oil change but this is a good test for him to see how much he knows. The mechanic admitted that since he didn't service my car in the past few months, he wouldn't know any history on this and he will simply replace the parts based on the codes given (2 O2 sensors and one of the 3 CATs) in the car. Long story short, I didn't get to do any of that since it would take too long. I told him I will erase the codes again and see what would come back.

The P0606 did come back immediately but I am waiting for additional codes to show up to pinpoint this. I have a strong feeling that like your situation, it is referring to one of the O2 sensors which probably generated codes for everything downstream.

Let me know where is the best place to pick up your O2 sensors. I will start with that first.
Old 07-13-16, 03:53 AM
greyes350
Driver School Candidate

Amazon is where I get Denso O2s.
Old 08-15-16, 09:49 AM
kayakfishe
Driver School Candidate

Please let us know if you have managed to resolve your P0606 + VSC light problem. I purchased an OBD2 code reader from ebay for only $10 that plugs into a laptop and the advantage of this device is that it give a full 3 page electronic copy off all the readings of the OBD2 computer, includingthe O2 sensor voltages, and there is no need to pay Lexus dealer $150 to do a 10 minute job. My 2007 ES350 with 110,000Km is running fine despite this P0606 + the VSC light coming on. I suspect this could be a corroded grounding or something similar in my case.
Old 08-15-16, 11:05 AM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

I have mentioned it in other threads but here was my adventure to finally resolving this issue (i think).

Since earlier this year, I kept clearing the engine codes since P0606 is too generic and i refuse to believe my ECU processor is malfunctioning. Based on my research, something else downstream was causing this code to be triggered. I finally got a more precise P0157 code (O2 sensor O2 BANK) indicating a low voltage there along with other weird codes (bad cat, 6 cylinder misfires, etc). Again, i cleared it and use my code reader to connect my car to analyze the live data as i drive. The P0157 AND P0606 came back and as i look into the live data, I noticed that the O2B2 sensor for the most time would dip below 0.01 value for an extended period of time. It does it more frequently than the O2B1 sensor. Long story short, i ordered the Denso O2 sensor from Amazon and tried to replace it myself. Below is the link:

O2B2 sensor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reader i use:
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AutoLin...ds=code+reader

I had to call in a mobile mechanic to help me since i got stuck stripping the nut. By replacing this O2 sensor, the entire issue went away. No more engine light with P0606 code so again, it might been triggered based a faulty sensor downstream from the ECU. I have driven my car over 1000 miles (freeway, uphill, AC, etc) and i haven't seen the codes again. So i consider this issue resolved.

Just FYI, if you ever have to replace the O2B2 sensor, just know that the Denso part will look different than the OEM part from the car. Lexus/Toyota replaced it with a newer O2 sensor. I had to call Denso to confirm (some members here also help point me to the right direction). Denso support did mention that their sensors may experience issues after 100k miles so we should be prepared to change them. There are 2 O2 sensors and 2 AF sensors total. There is a really good article that another Lexus member (Cjet) posted with helped me a lot to locate everything. Hope this helps you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...nsor-info.html

Originally Posted by kayakfishe
Please let us know if you have managed to resolve your P0606 + VSC light problem. I purchased an OBD2 code reader from ebay for only $10 that plugs into a laptop and the advantage of this device is that it give a full 3 page electronic copy off all the readings of the OBD2 computer, includingthe O2 sensor voltages, and there is no need to pay Lexus dealer $150 to do a 10 minute job. My 2007 ES350 with 110,000Km is running fine despite this P0606 + the VSC light coming on. I suspect this could be a corroded grounding or something similar in my case.
Old 12-20-16, 03:51 PM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello & Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays fellow ClubLexus members,

I have to send a Quick Thanks to our fellow ClubLexus member "TLPLEXUS(Rookie)" for finally solving this VERY SIMPLE FIX which will take anyone less than 30min task to do on your own even if you've never worked on any cars as it's too simple.

I followed our Fellow Member "TLPLEXUS(Rookie)" step by step:

1-I too ordered the exact same OBII Reader:
-Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II & CAN SCAN TOOL-$59.95Canadian & Free Shipping via Amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AutoLink-AL319-Scan-Tool/dp/B007XE8C74/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1471284038&sr=1-5&keywords=code+reader

2-I read the codes again on my Autel AutoLink AL319:
-P0057 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 2 Sensor 2

3-I ordered the same exact part as our fellow member "TLPLEXUS(Rookie)" O2B2 from Amazon.ca-$80.19Canadian plus Free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00199FBQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4-I first took the clip off @ one end of the O2B2 Sensor & With a 8"-200mm Crescent Wrench that I managed to undue the other side with ease.
-Screwed back the new O2B2 Sensor & connected the other end which clips on from one side only.(After inspecting the old part, to me it looks so black that it doesn't even look like that it was ever changed from 1st day that Lexus placed these into my car from factory; Looks like the Lexus Mechanic never even changed this part but actually charged me for it).

5-With my Autel AutoLink OB2 Reader that I cleared all the codes.

6-No matter how many times I started it after this task that my 3 VSC Check Engine lights never came back on.

Problem fixed.

Thank you so very much to our followed our fellow member "TLPLEXUS(Rookie)"

Now was this such a hard task LEXUS.CANADA❓❗

See how I was ripped off by LEXUS CANADA MECHANIC @ Port Moody Lexus & the sad part is that both his Manager & General Manager didn't do any investigations & always have their staff's back while pointing their fingers to their customer which will never ever give them business ever again; & I make sure to let all my friends, family members & Co-Workers on the Dock know to not ever trust any of these CockMeat Sandwich Dealerships; Even big names like LEXUS.

Karma is a ***** & what goes around comes around.

Last edited by Local500; 12-20-16 at 07:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TLPLEXUS (12-25-16)
Old 12-25-16, 11:20 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Local500, thanks for the compliment on this. (apologize for missing your PM as well a few weeks ago). It took me a while to line everything up since it is probably not an easy task for normal techs to connect the dots together (senior techs should be able to figure out very quickly). Mechanics usually don't like to deal with these types of troubleshooting since it will take them extra time to research to map it out. Doesn't help that Denso also changed the part # at some point which gave me extra headaches. i will try to document everything if i encounter the similar weird situation so it will help others here.

I am glad it works out for you as I can see that you had spent quite a bit already with the dealer. I have a similar problem with my 2004 4runner (code P0430 AND P0174) so i will have to figure out which one of these O2 sensors are bad. My chase continues as my normal mechanics are pointing to the CATs to be the culprit.

Merry Christmas by the way.

Originally Posted by Local500
Hello & Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays fellow ClubLexus members,

I have to send a Quick Thanks to our fellow ClubLexus member "TLPLEXUS(Rookie)" for finally solving this VERY SIMPLE FIX which will take anyone less than 30min task to do on your own even if you've never worked on any cars as it's too simple.

I followed our Fellow Member "TLPLEXUS(Rookie)" step by step:

1-I too ordered the exact same OBII Reader:
-Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II & CAN SCAN TOOL-$59.95Canadian & Free Shipping via Amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AutoLink-AL319-Scan-Tool/dp/B007XE8C74/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1471284038&sr=1-5&keywords=code+reader

2-I read the codes again on my Autel AutoLink AL319:
-P0057 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 2 Sensor 2

3-I ordered the same exact part as our fellow member "TLPLEXUS(Rookie)" O2B2 from Amazon.ca-$80.19Canadian plus Free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00199FBQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4-I first took the clip off @ one end of the O2B2 Sensor & With a 8"-200mm Crescent Wrench that I managed to undue the other side with ease.
-Screwed back the new O2B2 Sensor & connected the other end which clips on from one side only.(After inspecting the old part, to me it looks so black that it doesn't even look like that it was ever changed from 1st day that Lexus placed these into my car from factory; Looks like the Lexus Mechanic never even changed this part but actually charged me for it).

5-With my Autel AutoLink OB2 Reader that I cleared all the codes.

6-No matter how many times I started it after this task that my 3 VSC Check Engine lights never came back on.

Problem fixed.

Thank you so very much to our followed our fellow member "TLPLEXUS(Rookie)"

Now was this such a hard task LEXUS.CANADA❓❗

See how I was ripped off by LEXUS CANADA MECHANIC @ Port Moody Lexus & the sad part is that both his Manager & General Manager didn't do any investigations & always have their staff's back while pointing their fingers to their customer which will never ever give them business ever again; & I make sure to let all my friends, family members & Co-Workers on the Dock know to not ever trust any of these CockMeat Sandwich Dealerships; Even big names like LEXUS.

Karma is a ***** & what goes around comes around.