ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007-2012 Lexus ES350 VSC light, Check Engine Light, & Explanation Lights on!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 11:18 PM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 2007-2012 Lexus ES350 CHECK VSC light,Engine Light & Explanation Lights on!

Hello fellow Club Lexus Members,

While driving my 2007 Lexus ES350 @ 47,890km's back on 01/13/2015 I noticed on my dash that Check VSC light, Engine light, & Explanation lights all popped up @ the same time, so I took it to Open Road Lexus in Port Moody the next day.

Open Road Lexus in Port Moody read code P0606.

Correction: Follow Diag chart for code P0606. Suspect intermittent fault with an O2 Sensor. Unable to Diag further.

They reset the ECM & sent me on my way; @ 48,074(01/15/2015) all three lights popped back on again & so I took it back to Port Moody Lexus & this time they:

Condition: C/S: Check VSC, Engine Light & Explanation Lights ON-See History
Cause: Scanned Code & Performed Dignostic P0606
Tech noted B2S2 Oxygen Sensor; Retested Vehicle. Sensor Readings OK @ this time-$655.51

& I didn't have any problems after that till very recently & @ 82,436km's(02/12/2016)again I had Check VSC light, Engine Light, & Explanation Lights all popped back up on my dash; As before I took it to Open Road Lexus in Port Moody & again they read my computer which give them this exact same code: P0606-ECM/PCM Processor.

Lexus Tech notes: B1S2 Tested low impedance @ 81.70OHMNS. cause erratic operation of ECM processor.

Correction: Replaced B1S2 Oxygen Sensor & performed road test as per Lexus repair manual; Retest system OK!-$594

& sent me on my way.

In exactly 1 week later I noticed on my dash that Check VSC light, Engine light & Explanation lights all popped up @ the same time once again(Bummer); Than I turned off/on my car that all three lights had gone away(weird!); So I called Open Road Lexus in Port Moody & went in the next day; Cameron Ma informed me that Edward Fan was off for tube day & after 30min later the service manager quickly asked if I had replaced my car battery? & my response was no, This issue is from you guys changing my recent sensor & the last person to work on my car was your Tech; he informed me that there was a "Glich" in my system & so they have reset my computer & than added to "Pls monitor it & if it pops back up to pls come back!(WOW these guys are clueless about their own product).

Following week once again I had all three lights pop back on my dash & so again I took it back to Edward fan @ Open Road Lexus; This time they took exactly 1/h & than Edwaed inform me that the Tech never found any codes this time; He added that it's weird that the computer would reset the code & again said that they have reset it & to Pls monitor it & if it pops back up to pls bring it back to them & Do Not turn off the car till they see it.

*****Pls HELP ME if you or anyone you know that have had this experience & might have a better idea to how to fix it, so I can pass that info to the Port Moody Lexus.(Thx)*****

Quick note :When these 3 lights pop on my dash that there is nothing wrong with my car what's so ever, I mean I don't have any problems like the rest of the ppl that have had this same issue as myself; it's just these important lights come on warning me to have a Lexus look @ it.

For those of you that think it's a Gas Cap, Think again as that's not the answer.(I've already replaced my gas cap on my own & before taking it to Lexus earlier on this year).

Last edited by Local500; 04-05-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 11:20 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Intermittent issues like this can drive anyone involved nuts, and can be difficult to troubleshoot and correct. It's NOT likely that a total of three O2 sensors have failed on this car. Did the dealer tech thoroughly visually inspect the associated harness for damage? It's interesting that the issue initially occured about a year apart and then has recently repeated again in the dead of winter and this really wet weather that we've been getting? The rear O2 sensors (the S2s) are installed in the exhaust pipe and are quite low to the ground. Could the O2 sensor harness connector not be fully seated/locked (or be missing the weather seal) and have gotten contaminated by road spray, for example? That "low" resistance reading on the second replacement O2 sensor (I'm assuming the tech is reading the scantool and it's the circuit reading) makes me wonder if it could be caused by damaged harness insulation?
Be aware that the Traction Control Inop Light and Stability Control Light being illuminated along with the Engine Check Light is normal. Also, the rear O2 sensors are not normally used by the ECM to modify the air/fuel ratio. The ECM normally uses the front O2 sensors. This is why you do not notice or have any performance issues.
Old 03-01-16, 05:47 PM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

Thx for your quick respond fellow "oldgrump",

I forgot to mention on my last visit which was yesterday(Monday Feb 29/2016), I asked my service advisor(Edward Fan) what's the next step that they will do once all three lights pop back on!! & he responded that the Tech will inspect all associated with the harness for damage & if all is OK, than we might have to replace your Computer which will cost up to $2,000!.....I'm assuming that he was talking about the ECM!

I personally don't think anything is wrong with my car since I haven't had any loss of power or anything associated with these lights beside making me go Nutz....& so I want to have a peace of mind & have them fix it.

Last edited by Local500; 04-05-16 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-02-16, 10:11 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

For $2000 I would be tempted to take the car to another dealer. Port Moody is near Vancouver right? Should be another relatively close.
Old 03-02-16, 10:31 PM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

Is it normal for these Oxygen Sensors to go @ such low KM's?,

As you noticed that the 1st sensor "B2S2" went @ 47,890KM & was replaced @ 48,074KM & my 2nd Sensor went @ 82,436KM's!

Quick Update:All 3 Lights came back on earlier today(Wednesday March 2/2016) & no matter how many times I turned off/on my Lexus that all 3 Lighs remaind ON.

I will have to schedule to take my car back to Open Road Lexus in Port Moody & this time I'm going to explain to them what fellow member "oldgrump" had said & see if they can figure out this problem & will update everyone soon.

Open Road Lexus in Port Moody should be able to fix this problem after all they are a Genuine Lexus Dealers & plus they have already started this task & either they have to fix it or reimburse me in full-$594 since they clearly haven't Finished this job yet.

Last edited by Local500; 04-05-16 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-03-16, 08:43 AM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

Update:

0800 on March 3/2016 I called Open Road Lexus in Port Moody & explained what our fellow member "oldgrump" had mentioned to my service advisor(Edward Fan); He said that he will need to book me in for this coming Tuesday as they will put me in a curtesy as they will need my car for a while so they can start testing all the appropriate wires that lead to the ECM harness; He added that the worst scenario is to change my ECM completely-$2,000

Last edited by Local500; 04-05-16 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-03-16, 01:31 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I certainly hope that the tech thoroughly rings out the harness.......(wire/s), harness connectors (pins, pin connectors including checking that each wire connection is good). This should include metering each associated wire and then pulling/pushing/jiggling/wiggling along the length of the harness that he can access and then checking each wire at the harness connectors for continuity at the pin or pin connector (again by jiggling, wiggling, etc). Going by the tech noting the incorrect resistance reading when he replaced the second replacement sensor this appears to be a sensor heater circuit issue. Obviously if the tech doesn't find any wiring issues and then replaces the ECM and you later return to the dealer with the same problem, the dealer will have a big problem. Hopefully the dealer will be honest and not find and fix a simple wiring issue and then replace and charge you for a new ECM. I generally have a low opinion of dealers.

Last edited by oldgrump; 03-03-16 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-03-16, 01:41 PM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

I will let them know.

Thank you so much fellow member "oldgrump" for your quick respond to my headache once again.

I just hope on Tuesday(March 08/2016) that Open Road Lexus in Port Moody Tech will resolve this problem once & for all; Cause it's really no point in me/other Lexus owner to switch to a new Lexus Shops(as another fellow member "jkayca" had suggested) in the middle of their work as they should be able to resolve this task on their own.

Last edited by Local500; 04-05-16 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 10:40 PM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

While dropping off my car to Open Road Lexus in Port Moody back on March 08/16 that I asked "Edward" my service advisor "What's the steps they take to get this problem resolved?",

Edward Fan informed me that they have to try to duplicate this problem(Which they had already done numerous times already & they never address this issue) before they can address it; I said wtf do you mean you don't know what's wrong when I keep seeing all three lights pop back on after you changed my 2nd sensor + your so called service manager(Cameron Ma) is clueless as well since he himself informed me after the 1st ECU reset to take my car & to monitor it & once all three lights pop back up than drive to my nearest Lexus dealership service so Lexus can be able to read the code & try to address it; & I did exactly as he said & when I did take it to them with all three lights on, he said "Sorry but we don't have enough Tech's for today to take a look @ your car!"...........I feel like these ppl are pushing me away rather than fix what they charged me-$594 & these lights are still on!.......Who in the right mind hired these idiots to represent Lexus!

So I left my car with them till I got a call from them by 4:30pm telling me that after the tech took it for a test drive that he couldn't duplicate the problem & that they need to keep my car till possibly Monday(Entire week & for what!!!WOW); He added that the tech has noticed that I've added a HID kit onto my headlights & fog lights & that might be the problem & setting these lights to go off!!; I was like WOW, just cause you can't figure out this problem, that doesn't mean that I've done something!!! Both my HID kits were installed back on 2012, & it's 2016 now.....Thanks for trying to throw the blame onto me.....Not only that they can't resolve this issue, their lack of customer service.... No wonder Open Road Lexus has bad reviews.....The only reason is why I went to them in the first place was convince, otherwise No one should ever take their Lexus to these idiots.

Since no one was helping me resolve this issue & Im not a person to yell @ anyone that I went down without notifying my service adviser & picked up my Lexus as these guys clearly weren't helping me by solving this issue; What a crock of **** I'm being fed from a Lexus Dealership.

I feel Ripped Off by Open Road Lexus in Port Moody as they charged me $594 on 02/12/2016 for my 2nd Sensor & since than that I've returned to this location almost every week till my last visit on 03/08/2016.

Since I've been driving from Tue March 08/2016, that these lights keep popping back up & after a few days later it turns itself off........than a few days later all the lights pop back up.

It's April 4/2016 now & all lights keep popping up & turning off again.

I'll write up a letter to the General Manager of Open Road Lexus as I feel ripped off by their Service department-$594, & that they either address this issue without charging me a cent more nor throwing the blame on me(The owner) for altering my vehicle by adding HID lights back on 2012 or simply reimburse me in full-$594.

Quick Note: when these lights are on my dash that I don't notice any lost in Power & my overall car performance doesn't change what's so ever, So I have no idea why these lights popping up.(pls HELP)

Last edited by Local500; 04-05-16 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 10:20 AM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

After sending a quick email to Mr. Kirt Gill(General Manager of Open Road Lexus) on April 06/2016 he called me & after a brief chat on the phone he said let's arrange to bring your car in.

"But keep in mind since you have added HID kits to your Lexus that Lexus Canada has refused to HELP us; Your Lexus is already out of warranty & since we(Open Road Lexus) have already put in 5 extra hours & give you a curtesy car for a week that no one but us(Open Road Lexus) Pay's for it; we can't keep on working on your car for free!; We will replace the 2nd sensor under warrantee & will send you on your way however if that doesn't resolve your issue than there is nothing we(Open Road Lexus) can do for you."

WOW this is coming from General Manager of OPEN ROAD LEXUS in Port Moody.

Honestly I don't feel secure going back to Open Road Lexus in Port Moody as per this bad experience.
Old 04-08-16, 05:52 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I think you should cut your loses and find another dealership.
Old 05-05-16, 01:21 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local 500, what is your current status with your problem? Do you still have the Check VSC light with the P0606 code?

My 07 ES350 started to have this same issue too. The car drives perfectly fine but I am leaning toward this to be an oxygen sensor as well. I have cleared the codes a few times but it would always come back.

Let me know if you have it addressed. I would like to tackle this issue as well.
Old 05-05-16, 02:56 PM
Local500
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLPLEXUS
Local 500, what is your current status with your problem? Do you still have the Check VSC light with the P0606 code?

My 07 ES350 started to have this same issue too. The car drives perfectly fine but I am leaning toward this to be an oxygen sensor as well. I have cleared the codes a few times but it would always come back.

Let me know if you have it addressed. I would like to tackle this issue as well.
Pls keep in mind that this is my daily driver & that Ive been driving with all three lights on my dash since Feb2016.

After going no where with OPEN ROAD LEXUS in Port Moody & not noticing any power lost since these lights came on my dash initially,

That I've left it as is.

To be honest I think Lexus has planted a virus so ppl go back to them to spend more $$'s.

-Not a single thing is wrong with my Lexus ES350 except these 3 lights being on my dash.
-it drives as smoothly as I buy it from my dad with only 19,000KM's.
-No Power Loss,
-No Fuel Consumptions.

Im sure there is @least one good Lexus Mechanic out there that knows exactly how to address this issue which I can't wait to meet him...cross my fingers.

Even once you've changed both your Oxygen sensors like I did that you'll have all three lights back on your dash again & Lexus can't seem to find the cause or to even address it.

The only thing LEXUS is good @ doing is to re-set the ECU which anyone of us can do without any problems @ the convenience of our home which will cost us $0 & even that will pop up those 3 lights back on the dash a couple of days later & it will stay on your dash till you take it back to LEXUS & without telling you, they will re-set your ECM & will send you on your way.

Last edited by Local500; 05-05-16 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 08:45 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local500, have you attempted to see if there is a fuse that is linked to the ECM that might have been blown? I tried looking at the manual but i can't seem to be able to figure out which one to unplug. I unplug a few but don't want to go through everyone of them since it gets a little boring after a while. I am surprised at your local Lexus dealer that they couldn't definitively rule that out or at least offer some compensation for fixing a wrong issue.

Driving and ignoring the codes is what i am doing with my car for now (i was driving my spare car for a while). I cleared the code and it would come back every time. Like you said, fuel economy and driving power seems to be ok. i will keep driving until i can't any more. One of my tire sensors is out too so there are lots of lights on my dashboard now.

I will visit my mechanics in two weeks for an oil change. Maybe i will ask him about this at that time and will let you know what he says.

Originally Posted by Local500
Pls keep in mind that this is my daily driver & that Ive been driving with all three lights on my dash since Feb2016.

After going no where with OPEN ROAD LEXUS in Port Moody & not noticing any power lost since these lights came on my dash initially,

That I've left it as is.

To be honest I think Lexus has planted a virus so ppl go back to them to spend more $$'s.

-Not a single thing is wrong with my Lexus ES350 except these 3 lights being on my dash.
-it drives as smoothly as I buy it from my dad with only 19,000KM's.
-No Power Loss,
-No Fuel Consumptions.

Im sure there is @least one good Lexus Mechanic out there that knows exactly how to address this issue which I can't wait to meet him...cross my fingers.

Even once you've changed both your Oxygen sensors like I did that you'll have all three lights back on your dash again & Lexus can't seem to find the cause or to even address it.

The only thing LEXUS is good @ doing is to re-set the ECU which anyone of us can do without any problems @ the convenience of our home which will cost us $0 & even that will pop up those 3 lights back on the dash a couple of days later & it will stay on your dash till you take it back to LEXUS & without telling you, they will re-set your ECU & will send you on your way.
Old 05-05-16, 09:24 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

TLPLEXUS notwithstanding local500s problem w his dealer, I would bring your car to your local dealer for resolution. Its usually not rocket science.

Quick Reply: 2007-2012 Lexus ES350 VSC light, Check Engine Light, & Explanation Lights on!