ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Considering a 350 with Ultra Luxury, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 09:41 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering a 350 with Ultra Luxury, need some advice.

Now that my '05 is pushing 11 years old, I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a 350 UL. My 330 has been rock solid, and hasn't given me any major complaints or headaches. She's just getting old.

I just bought an NX not too long ago, and the ES has become our second "sometimes we'll drive it, 60% of the time we won't" car. So I'm not necessarily looking for an 11,12, or 13. I'd be more than happy with a low(relative) mileage 7-10. My current ES has everything the Ultra Luxury 5ES's do, minus bluetooth and the Pano-roof which is really what I'm looking for, since Lexus didn't even make it an option on the NX

So my question is this; What exactly do I want to look for, or steer clear from in an Ultra Luxe? I've heard some urban legend horror stories about the roof itself. Is there any major no-no's in the 5ES that I should make sure have been addressed? The couple that I've looked at both have had the steering wheel control peel issue. But I've seen on here that the 10 refresh controls will work.

Thanks in advance for the advice/help
Old 01-26-16, 09:49 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My '10 Ultra has been trouble free for 60,000+ miles. My wife drives it and uses the pano-roof daily in the summer. The dealer swapped the ultra wheels for a pair of std ES rims that were PVD'd in a chrome look. I use those for snow tires and purchased a set of chromed ES rims for summer use.

Name:  IMG_2550_zps0174c822.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  86.0 KB
Old 01-26-16, 09:58 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Is that a flat/metallic red, or a pearl?

I personally really like the UL rims on the 07-09, not sure if they carried those over for 10-12. It sure helps when I'm looking, so I can quickly weed out the non-UL cars from listings
Old 01-26-16, 10:05 PM
John U
Intermediate

Matador Red metallic. It "pops" more then the red metallic on my new Corvette.
Yes, the UL rims carried over to 2012. I did add the next larger sized Michelin tire on the rims for a better look.
Old 01-26-16, 10:28 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Yeah, it looks really really nice in the sun! Right by the mirror, it almost has that Toyota yellowish pearl to it.

I went to go look at this one, but apparently they couldn't find it ANYWHERE on the lot. I mean anywhere. It wasn't outside, or in service. They told me they weren't sure if it was stolen or sent to the auction the night before. I was stunned, and am even more shocked to see it still listed on their website. http://www.lexusofmerrillville.com/V...-IN/2675031863

I pulled up the service history on it from Lexus Drivers, and I think I dodged a bullet. I'm not sure though. It's had a ton of warranty and CPO work done to it. Rebuilt trans at 109, Leaking gaskets, timing issues, blown subs and speakers, you name it. I wills say, LD is a god send for looking up history when considering a used Lex.
Old 01-27-16, 05:00 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

Check for the sunroof linkages, check the ML unit.
If it's 07-08 check the VVTi hose and shift flare. Everything else i rock solid.
Old 01-27-16, 07:45 PM
fomenter
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one about a month ago(2009 ES350),with 110k on the clock. It is extremely reliable(maybe speaking too soon as i only put 2000 miles since purchased)..no rattle,no weird noise,nothing NADA...i'm really amazed how 7 years old car with those many miles don't even have slight dashboard rattle..

Go check other forums:BMW ,acura,nissan,ford...complaints after complaints...

Yes, you won't get the best driving experience,but it won't give you any headache for sure (with proper maintenance).

I have owned more than 90 cars/suvs since 2003 (including brand new fusion and focus)and this is one of my favorites along with toyota solara and acura RL..(I work in auto industry and work on cars).

Look for one with maintenance history..i would not worry about the mileage too much.
Old 01-27-16, 11:23 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
If it's 07-08 check the VVTi hose and shift flare. Everything else i rock solid.
how to check sunroof linkage. is there a TSB specific to ultra. other issue you mentioned are they fixed in 2009+ ultra. models.
Old 01-28-16, 12:01 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Originally Posted by fomenter
I bought one about a month ago(2009 ES350),with 110k on the clock. It is extremely reliable(maybe speaking too soon as i only put 2000 miles since purchased)..no rattle,no weird noise,nothing NADA...i'm really amazed how 7 years old car with those many miles don't even have slight dashboard rattle..

Go check other forums:BMW ,acura,nissan,ford...complaints after complaints...

Yes, you won't get the best driving experience,but it won't give you any headache for sure (with proper maintenance).

I have owned more than 90 cars/suvs since 2003 (including brand new fusion and focus)and this is one of my favorites along with toyota solara and acura RL..(I work in auto industry and work on cars).

Look for one with maintenance history..i would not worry about the mileage too much.
Thanks Fomenter! I too worked in the Auto biz. So I generally know the major things to look for, I was just concerned about the 5ES. I have zero experience with them, and I know every model has its own unique quirks, so to speak. My 4ES has the Valve Cover Gasket leak issue (which I just had happen to me last year) but other than that, it is rock solid, too. For being 11, it is still a pleasure and drives as if it doesn't have 146k on the ODO lol.

And as for the forums, TRUST ME, in the last two years I've bought/driven/sold My RXh, Audi A8, two Benz CLK Cabrio's, Acura TL, Infiniti I35/M35X/Q45, have had my ES and just bought the NX which I plan on keeping for quite some time... (I *might* have a slight addiction to used Luxury cars ) I'm registered on a majority of them, and I've seen some crazy, crazy things put up on Audi World and NICO Club.
Old 01-28-16, 12:02 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Awesome, thank you! Good to know!
Old 01-28-16, 02:20 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yeskay
how to check sunroof linkage. is there a TSB specific to ultra. other issue you mentioned are they fixed in 2009+ ultra. models.

I think there was a TSB.
Old 01-29-16, 02:10 PM
zealexus
Driver

Default 08 ul

I've had my car for 6 months no problems 128k miles, only have seen 3 UL editions since I've had the car I look to see if it is or not a UL, and I like that.
Old 01-29-16, 04:32 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

This is the best lookin' ES of all time.
Old 01-30-16, 04:20 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Originally Posted by zealexus
I've had my car for 6 months no problems 128k miles, only have seen 3 UL editions since I've had the car I look to see if it is or not a UL, and I like that.
She's a beaut
Old 01-30-16, 10:42 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Originally Posted by zealexus
Until a week ago my 08 ul looked identical. No scratches or dents,115,000 kms. Then kaboom. I was rear ended at a stop sign by a Nissan Titan 3/4 ton with a welder on the back.The front end suffered as well because I hit a Honda Accord suv. I can`t open the trunk as the frame was pushed in and the fenders (extension of the rear bumper) have popped open. The front didn`t suffer as bad because the accident sensor kicked in. The hood doesn`t line up to close properly without extra effort. Mechanically it seems to run fine but I have a feeling it may be written off. My neck, shoulders and upper back are quite stiff yet waiting to see the doc and ins. adjuster on weds. I would post some pics but I can` find a link on the site that shows me how.

Quick Reply: Considering a 350 with Ultra Luxury, need some advice.