ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Question on the right type of bulb

Old 12-21-15, 06:27 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question on the right type of bulb

Well, i recently notice that my driver side low beam is intermittently go on and off, and sometime dimmed. Time to change it after searching the symptoms.

I have a 08 Ultra luxury, so HID type with swevels.

While searching for a replacement, i've noticed that adaptive lighting is mentionned and i wonder if swevel or not swevel headllamps need different types.

http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2008/L...%20beam%20bulb

I would need some helps to find the correct type of bulb and should i go with oem lexus, for find it at toyota or go with another brands if the price and quality are very apart .

If i change only one side with another brand, will it light up with some difference.

thank you very much for your inputs.
Old 12-21-15, 07:22 PM
chbow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you're looking for a (Philips) D4S. Here's a link to it on amazon
Philips D4S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480J4I2..._lgmEwbG64VBAC
Old 12-22-15, 03:13 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

yes, after looking around, you are right. I wonder if i can find it at toyota to save money. Also, i notice that aftermarket can be found in Ebay, but the quality must be questionnable if the price is that low.

Funny, that sometime it does dim and go out, then if i close and reopen them, everything works fine, i've heard about the light fatigue that may lead to failure. Wonder if it is only a connection issue, have to try to tackle to see if the connection is tight.
Old 12-22-15, 05:57 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chbow
I believe you're looking for a (Philips) D4S. Here's a link to it on amazon
Philips D4S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480J4I2..._lgmEwbG64VBAC
Curious, if the regular head light bulb fails and say you were on the Expressway, would
the Bright Lights still work?mm
Old 12-22-15, 09:55 PM
KMiles
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't had to buy any bulbs yet for our Lexus, but my two favorite sources for bulbs for my Infiniti are Retrofit Source and VLEDS. The more affordable bulbs are the Morimotos XBs. I've had those in my Infiniti for about 2 years and they're excellent - both in color and cutoff. Supposedly the best bulbs are the Philips Osrams and Ultinons. Real ones are expensive. If you find them less than $150 for a pair, they're probably fake Philips. On the product lookup on the VLED site it does show that the right HID bulb for a 2008 ES is a D4S.
Old 12-23-15, 10:18 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure what chbow posted was one I linked back in 2012 when one of mine went out. Philips d4s are the OEM bulbs and you will not get them cheaper than the price in that link. Also, because you're replacing just 1 instead of both at the same time you may notice a slight difference in bulb color due to bulb burn in.
Though in my case color difference was unnoticeable after initial burn-in.

Also, if you choose to install them yourself DO NOT TOUCH the actual bulb at any time with your fingers. The oil residues from your skin with cause the bulbs to burn out.

The reason they flicker is because the bulb is on its way out. It is a symptom of eventual failure. I think mine lasted around a year before finally dying.
It could be the ballast (which you could test by swapping the bulbs over and seeing if the flicker follows the bulb or not) but I find that ballast failures are few and far between compared to the problem being the bulb.
Old 12-23-15, 11:32 AM
KMiles
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by xanderES
I'm pretty sure what chbow posted was one I linked back in 2012 when one of mine went out. Philips d4s are the OEM bulbs and you will not get them cheaper than the price in that link. Also, because you're replacing just 1 instead of both at the same time you may notice a slight difference in bulb color due to bulb burn in.
Though in my case color difference was unnoticeable after initial burn-in.

Also, if you choose to install them yourself DO NOT TOUCH the actual bulb at any time with your fingers. The oil residues from your skin with cause the bulbs to burn out.

The reason they flicker is because the bulb is on its way out. It is a symptom of eventual failure. I think mine lasted around a year before finally dying.
It could be the ballast (which you could test by swapping the bulbs over and seeing if the flicker follows the bulb or not) but I find that ballast failures are few and far between compared to the problem being the bulb.
Your note on not touching the bulb is very important. Most HID bulbs include an alcohol wipe for the bulb that needs to be used to completely clean the bulb prior to installing it. That ensures there is no residue from your fingers on the bulb.
Old 12-23-15, 03:22 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

any chance you would know the right toyota code for the Phillips bulb, i would like to find out how much will it cost in toyota dealer vs lexus dealer.

by the way, thank you very much for all your inputs, i have a better understanding when its time to install.
Old 12-24-15, 08:19 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Curious, if the regular head light bulb fails and say you were on the Expressway, would
the Bright Lights still work?mm
Bump...feedback please...
Old 12-25-15, 06:29 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

For those who have changed the low beam headlamps with OEM ones, where are the cheapest real ones available, I've checked amazon.ca and ebay. I have to be careful at Ebay for counterfeit ones. For a good price, i will take a pack of 2 because i guess the other one will go out soon.

I think the specs are Phillips D4S, Manufacturer Part Number:
42402, 4300 K

Any links for good deals, i'm from Canada so shipping has to be available.
Old 12-28-15, 05:39 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I want to make sure on my purchase. According to the Phillips site, the low beam bulb should be 42402 c1, but various ebay sellers sell oem genuine one as 42402, oddly, some is compatible and some is non compatible with the ES350 2008 ?????

The manual only listed as D4S type.
Old 12-30-15, 02:18 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Finally bought from amazon.ca, cost is about 1/3 of the dealership per bulb and it genuine. Some Ebay sellers which are well known for selling genuine bulbs, the price is almost the same as amazon. Hope that will help someone.
Old 12-30-15, 11:24 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

I dont know why you thought the dealership prices would be any where near the price of the bulbs online. Especially since I said it in my previous response.

There's always a hefty mark-up on any item from the dealership because of their overhead costs. Whats difficult is finding out what part they use from the factory. Which we had already done for you.
Old 12-31-15, 09:57 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I do value all your opinions, but remember, when i buy online, i have to make sure since sending back is not an option. I was baffle with the code on the box of various sellers: some says 42402, some days 42402 C1 and some says that is not the same.

Well, i have receive my package and it says both on the box, very confusing, but it fit. As you are saying for the dealership price, i wanted to see the gap ratio of the price if it is a good deal somewhere else and it is.
Old 12-31-15, 11:56 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Dealership prices are always incredibly high. Unless you are in immediate need for the item I would always search online. More often than not it is cheaper, though I can understand that shipping to canada from the states is often times more difficult.

Also, I also find that sometimes when manufacturers update their internal codes for items they add on to the numbers like you saw. Easiest way to truely figure out is to call the customer service line of the manufacturer and talk to a tech. They're usually more than happy than to help you out.

As an additional tip ill leave this here. Sylvania is one of the largest aftermarket as well as OEM suppliers for bulbs. This guide will tell you what type of bulb to buy for any bulb in ANY car. Its truely a great resource.
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on the right type of bulb