ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Do Toyota/Lexus 3.5 L engines dislike synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 09:38 PM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do Toyota/Lexus 3.5 L engines dislike synthetic oil?

I've come across this twice now, so I figure I'd ask you guys this. Is it true that 3.5L engines tend to burn oil if you switch to synthetic from conventional oils?
It would seem unlikely, but I'd better ask since I was going to switch to synthetic engine oil at my next service.
Old 12-08-15, 11:50 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 647 Posts

They love synth oil and they don't burn it at all.
The following users liked this post:
ralphtc (05-08-17)
Old 12-09-15, 05:15 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

It shouldn't be a problem provided you use the same viscosity. I assume you are switching to get the extended life and go to 10,000 miles before change. Other then that I wouldn't see any other reason to change. My 2010 was delivered with 5W-30 dino oil and I still use it and change it every 5,000 miles. The car now has 38,000 miles.
Old 12-09-15, 06:22 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use synthetic and was changing @ 5k, but now since my drive is about double for work I'm going to shift to 10k between changes. 90k on the block. Saw another post here where after 11k miles, the synthetic was still holding true - and I'd have to imagine since Toyota went to 10k mile intervals on the same engine for newer vehicles, that there's nothing holding us back from this.
Old 12-09-15, 09:28 AM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the only exception is the 07s with piston slap. Just makes it a bit louder.
Old 12-09-15, 12:24 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mlacomb
I use synthetic and was changing @ 5k, but now since my drive is about double for work I'm going to shift to 10k between changes. 90k on the block. Saw another post here where after 11k miles, the synthetic was still holding true - and I'd have to imagine since Toyota went to 10k mile intervals on the same engine for newer vehicles, that there's nothing holding us back from this.
Regarding your comment about the change by Toyota to 10k oil change intervals.......

Don't forget about the viscosity change too.
In 2010, the cars were using 5w-30 as stamped on the oil fill cap. The intervals for oil change were 5k.
This viscosity of oil is available as DINO OIL, SYN BLEND, and FULL SYNTHETIC.

In 2011 the cars were changed to 0w-20 as stamped on the oil fill cap. That's when the oil change intervals changed to 10k.
0w-20 is only made as a SYNTHETIC oil.

That's the biggest reason for the change in interval.

I have a 2010 which calls for 5w-30 viscosity. I use the synthetic 5w-30 Mobil 1 anyway.
Old 12-09-15, 06:26 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 647 Posts

I use Amsoil SS 0-30 - 10000 miles.
Old 12-09-15, 06:47 PM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

I do not plan to extend my intervals from 5 to 10k. I just want the synthetic mainly for better winter performance and hoping to extend the life of my engine. It has just passed 65k miles. Changing to synthetic at this point is not going to be an issue? What's the best synthetic oil you guys recommend?
Old 12-10-15, 05:55 AM
MichRob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Regarding your comment about the change by Toyota to 10k oil change intervals.......

Don't forget about the viscosity change too.
In 2010, the cars were using 5w-30 as stamped on the oil fill cap. The intervals for oil change were 5k.
This viscosity of oil is available as DINO OIL, SYN BLEND, and FULL SYNTHETIC.

In 2011 the cars were changed to 0w-20 as stamped on the oil fill cap. That's when the oil change intervals changed to 10k.
0w-20 is only made as a SYNTHETIC oil.

That's the biggest reason for the change in interval.

I have a 2010 which calls for 5w-30 viscosity. I use the synthetic 5w-30 Mobil 1 anyway.
My 2012 es350 has 5w-30 stamped on the oil fill cap. The manual also calls for 5w-30. Perhaps it was 2013 when 0w-20 synth. began to be required.
Old 12-10-15, 06:06 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPegged
I do not plan to extend my intervals from 5 to 10k. I just want the synthetic mainly for better winter performance and hoping to extend the life of my engine. It has just passed 65k miles. Changing to synthetic at this point is not going to be an issue? What's the best synthetic oil you guys recommend?
At that mileage I wouldn't see any reason to switch to syn. oil. If the car has been running on dino for 65K miles there is no reason to change. There would be no benefit. If you had 10K miles on the car then I would have no problem switching. If the car has been serviced normally then just continue to do what your are doing.
Old 03-07-16, 04:38 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
They love synth oil and they don't burn it at all.
AMEN.

I switched at about 40K miles on my 2GR-FE 3.5L Camry (same engine as lexus) ... and there was no change in amount of oil consumption: ZERO

The car has 88K miles now. I just checked the oil after sitting overnight and it remains exactly on the full mark with 7,200 miles on the oil. The oil still looks relatively clean but I'll change it anyway at 7,500 miles.
Old 03-21-16, 01:41 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Running Mobil 1 since new back in 2011, no issues, no oil used in between.
Old 03-29-16, 12:40 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Switched to Mobil 1 Extended at about 30K. Changed oil at 15K intervals until about 90K, then went 10K. I think I was putting 5/20w until about 130K; now running 10/30w. 07 ES350 is approaching 178K. Engine consumes, maybe, a quarter qt every 10K.

For older engines (pre 2000), I've read not to switch from dino to syn oil if engine has over 75K. For the other, use high mileage syn oil for high mileage cars. Benefits of syn oil include: better low- and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes; better resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems; molecular structure is more consistent in mass and shape leading to less friction as they collide (less friction means less heat); and more importantly, by extending mileage to 10K, you generate less waste which is better for the environment.

This oil analysis shows solid #s for 11K Mobil 1 Extended oil. TBN value shows oil was good for another 3-5K.

Old 03-29-16, 07:48 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The big reasons for visc changes and extended oil change intervals has 2 underlying factors.
1. The advent of Top Tier Gasoline. This gasoline has much lower sulfur compounds due to advanced refining processes imposed by the government and car manufacturers. This translates to longer oil change intervals as sulfur entering the crankcase thru blow-by, speeds up the acid forming process which in turn speeds up neutralizing the additive pack in the oil which is alkaline. In other words, lowers the TBN of the oil.
2. CAFE requirements (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) imposed by the government to get car & truck manufacturers to lower fuel mileage requirements in stages. This started early in the new millenium as I recall. Failure to meet standards raised a hidden tax on your vehicle which you ended up paying.

In 2011 or so The manufacturers were able to convince the government to let up on the tax somewhat through a convoluted formula to lower the tax because the manufacturers 1) were now going to recommend lower visc syn. oils which would increase fuel mileage and 2) with the advent of Top Tier Gas they were able to extend oil change intervals and reduce pollution which the government bought.
I see no problem at all using 0w20 in a new or low mileage engine whether it ran on dyno or syn oil. Anybody who is concerned about increased oil consumption should run a consumption test with the first change of oil.
Old 03-31-16, 04:50 PM
Paul3637
Driver

Originally Posted by Tetguy
The big reasons for visc changes and extended oil change intervals has 2 underlying factors.
1. The advent of Top Tier Gasoline. This gasoline has much lower sulfur compounds due to advanced refining processes imposed by the government and car manufacturers. This translates to longer oil change intervals as sulfur entering the crankcase thru blow-by, speeds up the acid forming process which in turn speeds up neutralizing the additive pack in the oil which is alkaline. In other words, lowers the TBN of the oil.
2. CAFE requirements (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) imposed by the government to get car & truck manufacturers to lower fuel mileage requirements in stages. This started early in the new millenium as I recall. Failure to meet standards raised a hidden tax on your vehicle which you ended up paying.

In 2011 or so The manufacturers were able to convince the government to let up on the tax somewhat through a convoluted formula to lower the tax because the manufacturers 1) were now going to recommend lower visc syn. oils which would increase fuel mileage and 2) with the advent of Top Tier Gas they were able to extend oil change intervals and reduce pollution which the government bought.
I see no problem at all using 0w20 in a new or low mileage engine whether it ran on dyno or syn oil. Anybody who is concerned about increased oil consumption should run a consumption test with the first change of oil.
Very nice summary. First, the EPA standards are not even monitored independently. That's why Ford put out all these great gas mileage figures for its small displacement Turbo 4 cyl engines they put in from Fusion to Lincoln. Consumer reports found real world road tests demonstrate that they are FRUAD and wrote a scathing letter to the EPA for their incompetence.

When tested in the real world, small displacement VW, Ford,Kia, etc.Turbos that claimed lots of horsepower and great gas mileage were FRAUDS. The Camry 3.5L engine (same as Lexus ES)
got faster zero to sixty times AND better gas mileage than ANY of the worthless 2.0T Turbos.

Four cylinder small displacement Turbo engines may look good on paper, but have ZERO value in the real world.

Attention Lexus ES V6 owners:: Enjoy your fine automobiles and please feel zero guilt for failing to protect the environment..

Quick Reply: Do Toyota/Lexus 3.5 L engines dislike synthetic oil?