Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 02:06 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Audio upgrade.

2008 non-NAV
Complete!

I began with the speakers & amps about 3 years ago followed by the HU just recently which I think should have been done sooner, but I'm glad I waited for this HU and its CarPlay capabilities.

My current system is as follows;

Viper remote start added with 3 presses of lock button on OEM key FOB.

Pioneer SPH-DA120
Clarion CC510 + CAU001
JL Audio C3-650 (front - convertible mode with tweeters in the dash)
JL Audio C3-650 (rear)

JL Audio HO112-W6v3
JL Audio XD 400/4
JL Audio XD 600/1

Both the center dash and rear sub are still in place but disconnected.
Metra 99-8162G dash kit.
Metra ASWC-1 for steering wheel control retention.
MicroBypass AVH-X for parking brake bypass.

SPH-DA120:

I chose this unit over the Alpine and other Pioneer/Kenwood units for several reasons; I wanted capacitive touch as opposed to resistive (which the Alpine does have as well as a slightly larger screen) but I also wanted a bit more expandability and flexibility regarding inputs, etc.. I honestly don't see much difference between this 6.2" and the other 7" screens. I did not need NAV built in to the HU because I have my iPhone 6S but this unit does come with a GPS antenna to boost your cell signal. I also did not need Sirius because I do not subscribe and I use different sources for my media.

The unit has 2 USB connections, with USB-1 being designated for CarPlay & firmware updates while USB-2 is used for everything else. There are also HDMI, RCA A/V and 1/8th" or 3.5MM inputs. It has RCA inputs for F&R speakers + sub as well as many other connections including backup camera, GPS antenna, microphone, and steering wheel controls which are all being used. The only inputs not being used are the rear A/V inputs because I do not have rear video.

From a connection standpoint everything eventually worked out but I did have to run a USB extension cable from the USB-1 input so I can hook up a thumb drive in the future for any firmware updates. If I didn't do it this way I would have to pull the HU each time and even though I don't think there will be many updates, it did have one ready to go upon installation. I also use this cable with the thumb drive for image uploads for personalized screen savers as well as any FLAC files since this HU supports that format! I just ran the USB extension - plus an HDMI cable - out the back of the radio down the passenger side towards the back by the glove box where there is a small gap between the trim panel and the middle console. From there the cables simply run down along the passenger side up along the seat track. The HDMI cable rests down there since I don't use it on a daily basis and then I have a lightning cable coming off the USB extension into my cup holder. All other connections - USB-2, RCA A/V and 1/8th" or 3.5MM - run up into the glove box where I keep an iPod Classic 160GB for my main music library. I really don't use the RCA or mini inputs but they're there if I need them.

For the most part I keep a lot of my core music on the iPod and any newer stuff on my phone which is 128GB. The balance of my music library is primarily classical, jazz or live concerts that I can live without. Besides, my concerts are mostly backed up in the original FLAC form so I can take them on the thumb drive. Lastly, I still have my old 64GB 4S that I have loaded up with videos for the HDMI connection that simply plugs into my Apple A/V adaptor and into my phone. For videos on my new phone I keep a 30-pin>lightning adaptor. It sounds like a lot but in the end I only have the two cables - USB-1 & HDMI - coming into the car. Eventually I may punch a hole through the cup holder into the middle storage box for the HDMI but in terms of the phone, I don't mind leaving it in the passenger seat as I drive alone probably 95% of the time. My phone seems to always be charged now which is a nice bonus. If I don't plug the phone in, Bluetooth takes over!

The radio is nice. Although the start up is rather lengthy, the screen is super responsive and fast. When you start the car or turn on the accessory power the radio flashes what is known as the "splash screen" for about one second before entering the "Pioneer Loading" screen for probably 8 seconds before whatever source you left it on syncs up and begins to play. I know this sounds like a long time and it is, believe me. However, I have come to think it necessary to wait for the entire startup process before putting the car in drive and taking off and especially waiting for that process to happen before plugging in your phone. The reason being is it just seems a little buggy at times necessitating the restart of my iPod or phone. Maybe not but it seems that way. You can personalize the splash screen or choose one of the preprogrammed ones but as I say, that screen is very quick. After the unit starts up you will see two screens - home and A/V - that you can also personalize which are more worth the effort.

Up along the left edge of the radio are volume up/down, home, mode and track up/down all of which besides home can still be accessed through the steering wheel controls. The rest of the screen is very responsive although you can resort to Siri or voice commands for practically anything else.

There are basically two sides to this radio; the Apple (CarPlay) side and the Pioneer (AppRadio) side which both perform well even though I have not really used the AppRadio side.

Anytime you don't have your iPhone plugged in to USB-1 you are using this side of the radio. The source that is currently playing comes up with a nice informative screen (A/V) and artwork or station information is displayed. Pairing my phone was simple and allows me to use "Hey Siri" in either Pioneer (Bluetooth) mode or Apple CarPlay mode. On the right side of the screen by the clock - which you can turn off - you can enter either a settings menu for all kinds of things like background themes & colors (notice I still have not got mine set exact - it looks good at night but when I take a picture it looks bad), clock settings, video settings and so on or an EQ menu that allows you to select preset parameters, run it flat or enter your own custom setting. You can access your music in terms of artists, playlists, genres etc. from this part of the screen. Along the bottom is "play/pause", time meter and function that allows you to select various random play modes or continuous play and a Bluetooth icon that opens up for all functions on your phone. There is a source drop down menu at the top left of the screen which you can rearrange based on your preference on the "Home" screen.

Simply hit the "home" button and you will be at another screen where you can make adjustments like rearranging sources, turning A/V completely off and personalizing this screen with yet another background image if you like. The catch to this screen is that it cannot be your permanent screen. After you have made your final finger swipe this screen will remain visible for about ten seconds at which time it will revert back to the mode you were previously in. Hitting the "mode" button will turn the display off which is nice at night since it does not dim when you adjust the cabin/dash lights although you can match it pretty close to the factory lights through the settings menu.

Once you plug your phone in a warning screen appears for the video that you cannot dismiss until you press "OK" every time! There is no shutting this annoyance off unfortunately but I've gotten used to it after a brief time. After you dismiss the warning your phone syncs up and now appears on the screen mirroring your phone with Apple Icons like phone, music, maps, messages, now playing (just a short cut to music), Pioneer AppRadio (takes you to the Pioneer viewing mode), audiobooks & podcasts. The second screen has Pandora & iHeart Radio. From this point on you can use "Hey Siri" or the touchscreen through the "home" button which acts just like your home button on your phone to launch music, listen to voice mail and messages, set destinations or to keep your eyes on the road you can just push your voice command button on the steering wheel and say things like, " text Bob", "call home", "play Grateful Dead", "take me home", "find gas/food/etc." or anything else you do on your phone.

If you don't want to stare at the Apple skin just hit "now playing" to see iTunes style or either "AppRadio" or the "mode" button and you'll be back to the Pioneer skin, only now on USB-1 with the ability to access settings, etc. while listening to music from your phone. At night press & hold the "mode" button to turn the display off.

Clarion CC510 + CAU001:

Very decent camera and license tag mount with guidelines that work well in conjunction with rear parking sensors. The image is a bit grainy compared to factory systems I've seen and it gets a little washed out at night with the built in lights. Still trying to figure out the guidance lines.

JL Audio C3-650 (x2) & JL Audio 10W3-v3 + XD400/4 & XS/600/1:

Great speakers that can really handle nearly anything. I really like the convertible mode up front. Awesome amps, would never surrender!

JL Audio HO112-W6v3 + XD 600/1:

Wow! Wow, wow, wow!!! This thing is unbelievable. I thoughts my old sub - 10W3v3-2 - was nice but this thing hits so hard & clean I don't even know what I was thinking before.

Last edited by codejd; 03-19-23 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Update images.
The following users liked this post:
LitGrandPa (02-23-17)
Old 12-02-15, 07:31 PM
cwils71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!!! love the touch screen. did you do the install yourself? and where did you mount the amps? also if you were to do it again would you start with the head unit or do the same, speakers and sub first? i want to upgrade mine but don't have enough fun money to do it all at once.
Old 12-03-15, 02:35 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cwils71
Nice!!! love the touch screen. did you do the install yourself? and where did you mount the amps? also if you were to do it again would you start with the head unit or do the same, speakers and sub first? i want to upgrade mine but don't have enough fun money to do it all at once.
Go here.

I did not do the install myself.

I would start with the HU & speakers, but my guess is that you'll need an amp.
Old 12-03-15, 05:30 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Found it;

Last edited by codejd; 03-18-23 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Update image.
Old 12-04-15, 09:22 AM
cwils71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by codejd
Found it;

That looks good too. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-05-15, 06:14 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the audio setup. I've only updated the front door speakers, subwoofer and additionnal amp along with my original ML. I wish i can add a 3rd amp a better front stage sound.
Old 11-03-16, 10:31 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

pics don't work anymore
Old 11-04-16, 04:08 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
pics don't work anymore
What a bummer.
Old 11-05-16, 01:45 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by codejd
What a bummer.
it's working now
Old 11-05-16, 01:48 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

any pics of the rear camera install?
Old 11-05-16, 03:34 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
any pics of the rear camera install?
If the pictures are working again, you should see one image of the camera that was taken upon install before I adjusted the large yellow lines out, leaving just the grid that does not move as you angle out of a parking space, etc.. The image is fairly grainy compared to a stock (or I suppose a more expensive) camera. very good during the day and a bit washed out at night with the reverse lights on.
Old 11-08-16, 12:50 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Hard to believe it's been over a year since I had this upgrade complete. Here are some pictures that I never got around to posting, the color does match the dash lights but for some reason the pictures do not reflect this.

These first two shots show the difference when you have the dimmer wire hooked up which I did not at first. It does not work with the dimmer control in the car though as it has a setting build into the HU once the wire is connected correctly. You can set the brightness for normal day driving which by default is right in the middle but once you have this wire hooked up, you can set the dimmer down as low as you like when the headlights are on. The second image looks so washed out due to the fact that I'm still in the garage, once out in the sunshine it's a nice image.

**CANNOT FIND THESE IMAGES NOW**

Here are some shots of the camera, both during the day & night and from inside my garage & out on the street.

**DAYTIME IMAGES POSTED ABOVE**

Home screen which you can turn off leaving only the controls down the left visible;

Oh yeah, this is the old 10" JL10W-v3;

Here are some shots of the HDMI video;

I really love this system! I definitely had regrets after not getting the ML/NAV package 9 years ago, but have finally achieved pretty much all I ever wanted and much much more when it comes to the A/V portion and CarPlay works flawlessly for my NAV.

Last edited by codejd; 03-18-23 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Update images.
Old 11-09-16, 06:44 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

It looks really sweet. To bad their's no support for Android Auto in the HU.
Old 11-09-16, 06:04 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

do you have a picture of how the backup camera looks like?
Old 11-09-16, 06:05 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkayca
It looks really sweet. To bad their's no support for Android Auto in the HU.
i thought you could use Android auto with pioneer?

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade.