ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How to Hear Waze Navigation Through Car Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 10:27 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to Hear Waze Navigation Through Car Speakers

Does anyone know how to do this, preferably while listening to the radio or music from a USB thumb drive? (Navigation guidance causing music to temporarily soften in volume while a direction is given e.g. overpowers the music while spoken or even mutes the music while the direction is given?) I have a 2012 ES 350 of which any owner would say has a subpar stock nav system. After doing some research online I found an app called BToutput that claims to do it but I can't make it work. Wall of a question can be extrapolated to any navigation app such as Google Maps, I'm partial to Waze because I think it's just the best.
Old 11-25-15, 09:02 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No expert, but I'd guess there's no way to do this. Unless the phone rings (phone notification) there's no real way for it to pass that kind of information to the head unit to say "soften the music".

If you're using your phone that is running Waze to stream through the head unit (either by bluetooth if equipped so or by wire) then Waze will give you directions - and some music apps will pause or soften up on their own to allow the navigation to be heard clearly.
Old 11-25-15, 06:41 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why the phone is able to override any channel you're listening to (SAT, AUX, CD, etc.) but nothing else can. In other words, if I try to use Waze via bluetooth, I have to be listening to the BT channel. If I was listening to AUX and have waze navigating through BT, I wouldn't be able to hear it unless I've switched over to the BT channel.

I either like to listening to music on SAT or through a thumb drive plugged into the AUX port. If I'm listening to AUX a phone call will override it, no problem. I feel like there's got to be a way to assign Waze audio to the phone call channel, but where is that and how do you access it? Seems like you can't. I swear... the built-in stock NAV in my 2004 Honda Accord was more sophisticated than this NAV. The map had better graphics, the turn-by-turn directions were more accurate and the voice guidance automatically softened the music. Even with the stock NAV on the 2012, it doesn't soften the music... in order to hear it you have to turn down the music you're listening to.

Thanks for letting me wine and for replying. Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 11-26-15, 10:40 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah; I hear ya. The issue revolves around the BT handlers for apps versus phone - the phone can send the appropriate signal to say "hey, receiving a call" and the stereo picks up on it. Apps have no way of sending a similar signal - and if they did, you'd be on the "phone BT" channel, not the "audio BT" channel. Different functionality.

And that's a common complaint with some in-car navs... which is why I really didn't mind that mine didn't come with it. I just leave WAZE running and am usually listening to podcasts on my way to / from work, which means I'll hear alerts if I have the system set to tell me about them. I scan the phone like a hawk to see if there are any cop reports ahead, and I do my due diligence to mark them out when I see them.