ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Water pump failed no warning engine fried

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 01:13 AM
jbalian
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks, very poor design :S

Do you guys check the coolant level in the extra tank or remove the radiator cap? This makes me want to get rid of my 2007 (80k miles) asap..
Old 11-05-15, 04:52 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievable this is a REAL and a dangerous problem. I'm speaking to Lexus for some kind of compensation and they're useless. They're actually offering me a $500 credit at my dealership for service or some of their tacky accessories to advertise their brand. It's useless to me. I have a 3 year lease and drive about 6,000 miles a year plus my 5,000 & 10,000 mile service is free. For a brand that prides itself in good customer service they stink!
Old 11-05-15, 04:54 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=jbalian;9241873]That sucks, very poor design :S

Do you guys check the coolant level in the extra tank or remove the radiator cap? This makes me want to get rid of my 2007 (80k miles) asap..[/QUOTE
GET RID OF IT...it could break down on an interstate. If the engine goes Lexus will do nothing for you!!
Old 11-05-15, 04:56 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkayca
My engine covers are off for good too. I kept on breaking the tabs every time I removed them. They also do little to protect the engine from dirt. Most of it comes up from underneath.

Agreed they're just for show like everything Lexus makes!
Old 11-05-15, 04:58 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msim
You are not the only one. This just happened to me, and to many others; see this thread:
ES350- Check VSC, Check Engine - Engine Stalled!
I just replaced the engine because of the same water pump...
Did you have any recourse with Lexus?
Old 11-05-15, 08:41 AM
mrh1965
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jbalian
Do you guys check the coolant level in the extra tank or remove the radiator cap? This makes me want to get rid of my 2007 (80k miles) asap..
Just go by the level in the extra tank, the reservoir. You can't really see anything by undoing the radiator cap, for one thing the cap is offset by a couple of inches from the radiator proper. As noted previously, I just kept topping off the reservoir, over the course of several days, until it stopped sucking it dry. Fill reservoir, drive, let car cool, check reservoir level. Repeat as necessary. After several days I think I'm finally topped up.

If you want to get rid of your car, so be it, but surely there are better reasons than low coolant. Pick up some Toyota long life coolant at the Toyota dealer, top it up and drive happy.
Old 11-05-15, 04:00 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

What can I say ... What has happened to me over the years (not on a Lexus) is that the Radiator
rusts and develops a leak. Are the low levels of antifreeze from the defective water pump?
Old 11-06-15, 05:49 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Out of the hundreds of thousands of Lexus' and Toyota (V6) sold how many have had to replace a water pump . Out of these failures how many were cause by lack of maintenance (failure to check water on a regular bases per the OM). How many failed water pumps resulted in a blown engine. My bet is this is an insignificant issue and it falls way outside the warranty window.
Old 11-06-15, 06:09 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nvstella
Did you have any recourse with Lexus?
As I said before, they were very nice in the beginning. They paid to have my car towed to the Lexus dealership, and they told me to wait an answer after they will review the dealership's report. Next day, they called me and they decline any responsibility, any compensation. I went to the dealership to see the report, and they were very surprised, because they didn't send anything to Lexus!!! They were still working on the car.
I called again Lexus Customer Satisfaction and they said to send a letter to NCDSUSA.ORG website, if I want to continue with my complaint against them.
Those guys said also that they can't do anything because my car was out of warranty.
Old 11-06-15, 10:03 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexi66
What can I say ... What has happened to me over the years (not on a Lexus) is that the Radiator
rusts and develops a leak. Are the low levels of antifreeze from the defective water pump?
Bump
Feedback please
Old 11-06-15, 12:42 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

The coolant level may be low because of the faulty pump, but there are many other places that can cause coolant leak.
Old 11-06-15, 01:48 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Was this problem exclusive to certain model years? I was thinking of having my water pump changed since I'm at 93k on my 09.
Old 11-06-15, 06:28 PM
mrh1965
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Are the low levels of antifreeze from the defective water pump?
In my case, it was. I took the car in for a replacement dashboard today and they called me later to discuss my water pump. Given how low the coolant was when I got the car and the very loud noise coming from under the hood, especially at cold start, I can't say I'm surprised. I had hoped it was just the belt. Oh, well. It is being replaced, hopefully the design is better now.

Meanwhile, I am driving an absolutely gorgeous 2016 ES 350 loaner. What a ride.
Old 11-07-15, 08:27 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cold running on 07 and 08 will all typically have the cam/lifter noise until the engine warms up to normal temp.; from what I've read here nothing to worry about but there's a thread with a TSB in it here somewhere...

If you have lifter noise (not injector noise) when the engine is fully warmed up (needle right between c and h) might be indicative of more damage though.
Old 11-07-15, 08:51 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

That's not the cam/lifter noise. It's the piston slap noise and that's normal.

Quick Reply: Water pump failed no warning engine fried